How to transfer a large file from a Linux VPS to my Windows PC?

Hello, guys.

Well, I have a VPS with a very, but veeery good Internet connection, so it's awesome for downloading large files like movies, games, etc. Its OS is the CentOS.

So, I'd like to know: how can I transfer those downloaded files to my PC, which has Windows 7?

I'm new at linux, don't know much. I've heard about SSH and SCP but couldn't figure them out. FTP would take ages to transfer. It's got to have another way, a fast way.

Can you guys help me?
    Thanks.

Filezilla/WinSCP would be the easiest to use if you can't figure out scp.

Yeah, I also heard about WinSCP. But is it fast? Isn't it FTP? I'm sorry my noobish, I'm just trying to understand those stuff better.

The speed will be determined primarily by the speed of your home Internet connection, not by the software you use.

SCP, SFTP, etc. might actually be a tad slower than plain old FTP, with the encryption overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by danhenrique View Post
    Yeah, I also heard about WinSCP. But is it fast? Isn't it FTP? I'm sorry my noobish, I'm just trying to understand those stuff better.
    The speed differences will probably be negligible. I'd go with WinSCP, I would assume your VPS has an SSH server installed by default.

It does. Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do.

Do you have a webserver installed on your vps? You could just use that to download the files. Although, it will open up access to everyone on the internet.

I have, but then, obviously, I'd have to use my Internet to download the file, then what good would a VPS be? I want a VPS for faster downloads.
    I'm trying WinSCP and Filezilla, both are with very low download rates, like 10kb/s

If you are transfering from your end from a server then its doesnt matter if your server is connected with its own trans-atlantic pipe you are still going to be constrained by your connection from home to the box...

Unfortunately whether you use SCP/FTP/HTTP to download still dependent on your home connection

I have, but then, obviously, I'd have to use my Internet to download the file, then what good would a VPS be? I want a VPS for faster downloads.
    I'm trying WinSCP and Filezilla, both are with very low download rates, like 10kb/s
    if you're downloading FROM another server that is really slow(1kbps), use the VPS to download the file

your VPS will be up 24/7 downloading until it's done however slow it is. your desktop won't need to stay turned on.

you then grab the file from the VPS to your desktop. If you bought the right VPS (enough bandwidth and close enough to your home to give you a constant 500kbps), then you can download at a constant speed of 500kbps instead of 1kbps.

from your speed, it looks like
    1) your VPS is really far away(like different continent)
    2) your own internet speed is slow
    3) your VPS is on a host where some other VPSes are leeching all the available bandwidth

My VPS is from Netherlands. I'm in Brazil.
    I have 5 TB of bandwidth.
    My own internet speed is only 1 MB.

My VPS is from Netherlands. I'm in Brazil.
    I have 5 TB of bandwidth.
    My own internet speed is only 1 MB.
    No matter what, you will be downloading those files at 1mbps even if the VPS may have a 100mbps connection.
    Oscar Pan - Beyond All Knowledge - sales{a}beyondallknowledge.com
    Services: Shared Hosting | Virtual Private Servers | VPS Reseller Program
    Locations: Kansas City, MO (Wholesale Internet)
    Quality Hardware | Great Uptime | Quick Support | Friendly Support Team

You could try a multithreaded download manager to see if your speeds improve a bit.

Alright guys, i think i got it. thank u so much for helping me.

Hello, guys.

Well, I have a VPS with a very, but veeery good Internet connection, so it's awesome for downloading large files like movies, games, etc. Its OS is the CentOS.

So, I'd like to know: how can I transfer those downloaded files to my PC, which has Windows 7?

I'm new at linux, don't know much. I've heard about SSH and SCP but couldn't figure them out. FTP would take ages to transfer. It's got to have another way, a fast way.

Can you guys help me?
    Thanks.
    There is no difference which protocol you will use. Your speed will not become faster.
    Last edited by deltahost; 09-27-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    VPS in USA, Netherlands and Ukraine | Dedicated servers in USA, Netherlands and Ukraine
    Premium quality since 2008
    A lot of Extra IPv4.
    Bitcoin | PayPal | Perfect Money