IP Based Virtual Servers No More?

Not sure how many folks pay attention to the ARIN (www.arin.net) guidelines as they update.. but getting IP addresses has been getting harder and harder each year.

The guidelines changed roughly a year ago making ip based hosting an invalid reason to justify IPs.

My company really only does web hosting, and we're starting to run low on IPs... and since ARIN won't issue us more based on our needs, we're thinking of dumping IP based hosting alltogether.

How important are individual static ips to you?
    Hugh Buchanan
    harveyopolis corporation
    userfriendly.com / killersecurity.com

IMO, IPs are only needed for SSL certs and true anonymous ftp. If a website isn't using either of the two, then a dedicated IP is not needed. I've seen some local companies (that i've helped with so-called cost cutting consulting) ask their clients to swich to name-based hosting if they do not need a dedicated IP, in return for a discount on their monthly hosting fees. the host(s) then sell back the IPs to their providers and save big $$$ that way - and the IPs can be used where it's necessary.

until ipv6 is out (and i dont see that happening until 2010 at least) then we should do what it takes to conserve IPs

True, if it wasn't for SSL certificates, I do not quite see the need for IP based hosting.

Most customers would be hosting their websites using domain names and not through IP address and as long as you provide them with a way of administering their sites and viewing them prior to the DNS propagation, it should do the trick nicely.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I agree that static IPs aren't really necessary except for SSL, but it is more about what my customers want. Obviously if I run out of IPs I can't give them private IPs, but we dont want to lose customers..
    Hugh Buchanan
    harveyopolis corporation
    userfriendly.com / killersecurity.com

Policy was not adopted

Yes, IP's are difficult to get sometimes. However, I believe there is a common misconception that ARIN has a policy not to provide them for hosting unless SSL, etc. They backed away from that requirement in 2001 and the official policy is that they gather the technical justification for "informational purposes only."
    When an ISP submits a request for IP address space to be used for IP-based web hosting, it will supply (for informational purposes only) its technical justification for this practice. ARIN will analyze this data continuously, evaluating the need for future policy change.
    The most common reason for having problems is inefficient use/underutilization of those previously allocated. So, if by practice you allocate large amounts to your customers, you will not have a high percentage in total in use. Therefore, you will have difficulty getting more.

Originally posted by userfriendly
    I agree that static IPs aren't really necessary except for SSL, but it is more about what my customers want. Obviously if I run out of IPs I can't give them private IPs, but we dont want to lose customers..
    Well, you could always point them to the ARIN's policy. Assignment of IP address would depend on them and since there is a serious lack of IP addresses now we will have to make do with what we have now and maximize this resource.

Ask your customers to justify the need for a private IP address and if it is valid, I am sure your web host would be able to assign you that one more.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by userfriendly
    I think if you have your plans set up so that IPs aren't allocated by default, but state that they are "avialable upon request" then you'll still save IPs as the customers that only truly need them will request them (in most cases). If you ask for justification, yes there is a possibility it'll blow up in your face, but sooner or later, it's going to come to this, so why not start now?

We use a lot of IPs due to the very nature of what we do - reseller hosting with personal nameservers, with each nameserver requiring it's own IP.

We've found simple things (helped with recent Cpanel developments) like using one IP as the account IP and the primary nameserver IP helps - maybe this could work for you too?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy