Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    He want one with a 8mb catch
      0 Not allowed!

It will probably be better, and cheaper to buy a new computer, rather than pay for experts, etc.
    Kind Regards, -Ashley.S.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley-S View Post
    It will probably be better, and cheaper to buy a new computer, rather than pay for experts, etc.
    A new hard drive is between £30-£80 but I have been a computer technician in my time so its easy for me to install one ts easy to put one in but its hard to find the drivers for the chipset and that when you need to know what your doing.
      0 Not allowed!

yeah buy a new pc.. everything is constantly changing and soon that pc will be heavily effected by it.. youll be glad you did in the long run.
      0 Not allowed!

Hmm, it's happening again. I did install some new memory a month or so ago, and I'm running chkdsk to see if it finds anything again.
      0 Not allowed!

i would suggest useing a program called HD-Tune to check for any bad sectors and to see your benchmark read / write speeds. Combined, that will check the health of your HDD. if you think its the RAM, use a program called Mem-Test. If everything passes it could be related to your OS. if you have any more problems let me know.
    Infinitie Networks - Shared, Dedicated, VPS, Reseller and Colocation solutions.
    Are You Powered By The Ball?(sm)- Steve P - Sales Executive

http://www.infinitie.net | http://www.vertagio.com
      0 Not allowed!

buy a new hardrive
    WHMCS Services / City Tecks
    WHMCS Development | Blesta / WISECP Developer
      0 Not allowed!

chkdsk /f /r found nothing.

HD-Tune found 3 unstable pending sectors, for which HD-Tune shows a warning status. The write error rate is also 3, for which it says the status is OK..

The benchmark says minimum transfer rate is 10.5mb/s, maximum is 56.6 for read.

Temperature is 49 degrees C.

Interpretations? Thanks, everyone, for your help.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    Sounds like you can afford a new computer... or you would not ask.

You really want a new computer, get it. Get yourself a new toy. Don't feel guilty for those who can't. I have tons of computers that I can never use... and don't care.... sometimes I give them away to kids going to college. All good... buy it.
    Love it. I'd also make the same recommendation. Getting a new computer is exciting, there are so many labels to read, specs to compare. Nerd candy.
    Dave Parish
    (727)755-4033
      0 Not allowed!

I ran chkdsk again, and again it found nothing. But HD-Tune still showed the same issues as before. The hard drive is a Western Digital, so I downloaded WD's diagnostic tool. It found one or more errors that couldn't be corrected, so ... drumroll please... I decided to spring for a new hard drive.

Hopefully, that'll be the end of this issue. From what I found in searches for my old hard drive model number, this behavior is consistent with a gradual failure. If the $43 for a new hard drive gets me another year or two on this old computer, I'm happy.

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by techjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrogue View Post
    Buy a new computer. That's a P4. That means even an E3300 would smoke it. Sans hard drive, which you'd need to buy anyway, you could build a very nice PC for $100 if you take advantage of a Newegg combo.
    I hope thats a typo... the cheapest newegg motherboard is 40 dollars alone and even if it was under 100 it would be equal to about a pentium 4.
    Probably true at $100, but if you're willing to build it yourself, you can get a lot more for a lot less than Dell, including longer warranties.
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.
      0 Not allowed!

I'd recommend you buy yourself a new computer. Not worth putting $$ into the system every month just to keep it running.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by RapidServers_ View Post
    I'd recommend you buy yourself a new computer. Not worth putting $$ into the system every month just to keep it running.
    Funny, that's how most of the users of VPS and dedicated hosting keep their servers running
    [GB ≠ GiB] [MB ≠ MiB] [kB ≠ kiB] [1000 ≠ 1024] [Giga ≠ gram] [Mega ≠ milli] [Kelvin ≠ kilo] [Byte ≠ bit]
    There is no millibit. There is no gram-bit. There is no Kelvin-Byte.
      0 Not allowed!

I like old things. Economically, it usually makes sense. My car is older than this computer!
      0 Not allowed!

If the computer is old, buy a cheap hard drive
      0 Not allowed!

If you are having a hard time to cope with the speed of your computer,the sound, the modem, etc. then it is now the right time to buy a new one since computers nowadays are less expensive than before. Right?
      0 Not allowed!

Its better to replace hard drive.
      0 Not allowed!

best way is buy a new computer. because by changing hard disk drive your problem may not solve.
      0 Not allowed!

depends on your needs and pocket power actually, if the hardware previously (when all was well) worked fine , buy a hard drive else a new pc.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi,

I hope its bad idea to purchase a new system. You can purchase only a new hard disk for yourself.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Atarim View Post
    I ran chkdsk again, and again it found nothing. But HD-Tune still showed the same issues as before. The hard drive is a Western Digital, so I downloaded WD's diagnostic tool. It found one or more errors that couldn't be corrected, so ... drumroll please... I decided to spring for a new hard drive.

Hopefully, that'll be the end of this issue. From what I found in searches for my old hard drive model number, this behavior is consistent with a gradual failure. If the $43 for a new hard drive gets me another year or two on this old computer, I'm happy.

Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
    Just to update, the new hard drive has been fine. A couple of weeks ago, I started getting excess heat errors/shutdowns. The fan had died. I bought a replacement fan for $3, and I'm good to go again.

For a guy who's no hardware expert, it's been fun to open up the box and install these. The new fan came as a complete assembly with a new heat sink - but it was slightly different from the old one, and wouldn't fit. So I took off the new sink, attached the old one to it after a cleaning, and as I think the Canadians say, Bob's your uncle.
      0 Not allowed!

I would buy a new computer. these days they are cheap and you can get a good deal at walmart or some place like that for a great system. so then its is updated and working perfect for ya.
      0 Not allowed!

buy an SSD, or setup an SSD RAID.

I just setup a new workstation with a corsair force 120gb raid 0. It's well worth the extra money
    GorillaServers Inc | Direct Unmetered Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

I would also recommend for new PC. It will be good for a longer time and you will be tension free from day to day repairing.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12