Question Host multiple domains? (not for resale)

Hey All,

I’m new to WHT…

I am a developer and I am currently looking for a host to host a personal website of mine. I am going to use the site for a blog, picture gallery, resume, and also for testing purposes. I will probably be developing other web applications that I would like to run on the server. I also need a good amount of disk space (>= 3 gigs), as I would like to host large image files through my gallery. I don’t foresee the site generating a huge amount of traffic but a decent amount of bandwidth is required.

I don’t need any preinstalled software, as I will be writing the site on my own, all I need is the basic LAMP setup and want something very responsive. Mainly I will be using PHP or Perl but I would like to also have the option to use Java Servlets (Tomcat) or C++. Shell access would also be a huge plus. I know enough about Unix so support is not a major issue of mine as long as the service is reliable and I get a good amount of computer resources.

I also would like to have the option to host other domains on the account at little or preferably no cost. I am NOT looking to resell my account, but instead put up other work or test related sites for myself. So I do not need a control panel or anything else for that matter.

Cost is a major issue for me, as I would like to spend no more than $15 a month, maybe $20 if I could get root access and install my own software.

Can you give me any advice as to what I should be looking for? Is a reseller account the only account I can host multiple domains on? Should I look into a cheap VPS or will I not be able to run LAMP stably because of RAM limitations? Are there good, shared web hosts out there that allow multiple domains with my requirements?

Thanks for the help…

Reseller, VPS or even a large multi-domain package would work for you. My only advice is to do some searching here for reliable hosts, contact them, express your needs, and see what can be done. There are many good hosts who could fulfill your requirements for hosting.

I think VPS is going to be your best bet. It will have the flexibility you need, although you may have to pay a little more than what you're asking for a reputable supplier.

I recommend and user http://servint.net/

Good luck!

The first thing that comes to my mind is Micfo. I know they offer Tomcat and SSH access. I have an account with them myself, and am very satisfied.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Originally posted by croakingtoad
    I think VPS is going to be your best bet. It will have the flexibility you need, although you may have to pay a little more than what you're asking for a reputable supplier.

I recommend and user http://servint.net/

Good luck!
    VPS would definitely be a good way to go, what you're looking for would require quite a bit of extra account priviledges. You could try submitting your hosting request to HostVoice.com, you may need not have to buy a more expensive VPS.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.