Cool Cloud Specs and Opinions

Morning:

Just curious with all the experienced WHT users out there, in some opinions about Cloud Hosting:

Yes I realize it's the "buzz word" of the year, and next year it'll be called something else

But, Here's some questions and would like some opinions on your thoughts on them Please...

Is there a certain size of space that one should consider using Cloud Hosting? or does it matter?
    Most of the offers I've seen around usually start around the 40 gig mark for disk space

If you're a reseller and opting to sell cloud packages, is that really a feasible idea? or what's the caveat to look for when possibly attempting to do this?

Is Cloud hosting really that resource intensive? I've seen plans that sell for .15 cents per megabyte, gigabyte, along with 25 cents per hour of resource used, which really could get expensive?

Is administering cloud hosting a difficult process? or if the cloud environment is already set up then you just monitor the resources used? and how would that be determined on multiple servers?

Is there a Cloud hosting provider, that doesn't try to nickle and dime you to death? (see above), like really, charging for resources used...can anyone really lay that claim to fame that they can tell you exactly to the minute how much resources your site is using?..

These are just some queries that I've had when looking around at cloud hosting just trying to get a handle on the whole bigger picture, and really other than bits and pieces around, it starts to all run together.

While I'm a newbie to WHT, I'm not a newb when it comes to technology, but just wanted to find out what the more experienced users here at WHT's thoughts were.

Please feel free to add things as necessary, as there's never "too much info" when it comes to this stuff right?

Happy Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by sfovllc View Post
    Morning:

Just curious with all the experienced WHT users out there, in some opinions about Cloud Hosting:

Yes I realize it's the "buzz word" of the year, and next year it'll be called something else

But, Here's some questions and would like some opinions on your thoughts on them Please...

Is there a certain size of space that one should consider using Cloud Hosting? or does it matter?
    Most of the offers I've seen around usually start around the 40 gig mark for disk space

If you're a reseller and opting to sell cloud packages, is that really a feasible idea? or what's the caveat to look for when possibly attempting to do this?

Is Cloud hosting really that resource intensive? I've seen plans that sell for .15 cents per megabyte, gigabyte, along with 25 cents per hour of resource used, which really could get expensive?

Is administering cloud hosting a difficult process? or if the cloud environment is already set up then you just monitor the resources used? and how would that be determined on multiple servers?

Is there a Cloud hosting provider, that doesn't try to nickle and dime you to death? (see above), like really, charging for resources used...can anyone really lay that claim to fame that they can tell you exactly to the minute how much resources your site is using?..

These are just some queries that I've had when looking around at cloud hosting just trying to get a handle on the whole bigger picture, and really other than bits and pieces around, it starts to all run together.

While I'm a newbie to WHT, I'm not a newb when it comes to technology, but just wanted to find out what the more experienced users here at WHT's thoughts were.

Please feel free to add things as necessary, as there's never "too much info" when it comes to this stuff right?

Happy Holidays
    Cloud is definitely here to stay, no matter what it's called but the term "Cloud" has in fact become very widely adopted so I wouldn't expect a new buzzword to replace it any time soon..

Anyways, on to your important questions.

There are Cloud services ranging of sizes from shared services on shared clouds, to complete virtual private data center's, aka private clouds with near limitless vertical scalability.

Reselling? Sure you can resell anything nowadays.

It's as resource intensive as the applications you put on it. By nature, Cloud is fantastic at utilizing the resources of the environment and being flexible by moving pieces from one physical server to another as needs increase.

Managing depends on the level of services you are providing, and the level of infrastructure you have. If you are buying wholesale Data Center space and building up everything from the ground, it's still a lot of work but it's... "different" than traditional environments. That's really the best way I can word it. There's a learning curve in the more advanced, true Cloud computing methodologies.

The nickle and diming sometimes is a flaw in the business plan of the provider, or a money making scheme. We bill with standard methods for both shared and Dedicated cloud environments (monthly, fixed rates for exact resource allocations), not by the minute for more variable environments. That method may work fine for some people but in production environments people want fixed costs to budget from.

Thanks for the reply....

I would have thought that there would have been a bit more traffic in this regard...

I guess ultimately I was curious at what resell point or space point there was in reselling a cloud package.

I mean, is it prudent to sell a 10 gig cloud package?
    or is the cloud scenario more geared towards larger sites...

Was just curious what the price point break was (as well as in addition to the other info)

If it suits your business, sure. Cloud has the potential to support and work with large sites but it can also work with small. It's just a different way to do things, it's not necessarily restricted to large business just building the infrastructure to sell Cloud services requires a bit of an upfront investment for the provider.

The price point break is going to be dependent on your partner provider and what you are selling and for how much.