do you think the market is to saturated with chat software

Hello,

My name is Cedric Gaines, Im a professional programmer and recently went to look for a chat software package and found that they were really costly (digi chat comes to mind, looks really well put together though). Now Im a professional so the cost weren't staggering, but I know I could write a realtime chat solution packed with features and probably offer it for a way lower price than what Im seeing online. Now Im not talking about some boot leg solution, but a realtime solution that is both professional and easy to use.

Question is, would it be a waste of time? is the market already to saturated with this type of package.

Im looking at writing it in Flash and either backend it with php / asp.net for those without dedicated servers, and a java xml socket server for those with a dedicated server. Ive actually already written a similar app for the state not too long ago, so I believe I can rival most packages I see now online.

What do you think, Im not asking would you buy it, just would you invest the time and energy into such a project if you were me?

Thanks, and sorry so informal,

Cedric Gaines

Cedric,

We were asking ourselves the same question about a year ago as we started to develop our own product. However, instead of targeting just chat (as you point out, there are a number of chat servers available), we opted for a 'live help' application instead, including some very basic chat capability in it. We did this because it was not clear to us how much commercial value chat alone would have (like e.g. email accounts).

If you are interested in getting into this though, I would be happy to talk to you more...

<<< Signatures need to be set up in your profile. >>>
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 01-06-2004 at 04:31 AM.