Question Attempting to touch windows

Hi guys,

Over the past year and a half we have programmed our own control panel called Wrench to interact with Linux via SSH to control our customers Minecarft, Gmod and TF2 servers however as we have been looking to expand we have hit the wall of many new games are Windows only, and cannot (or can, with Wine/Mono... but.. meh) run on Linux.

I have been trying to understand how I could expand our control panel to interact with Windows however I am lacking in Windows server knowledge despite working on it briefly in the past. David, our CEO has the official microsoft certifications for administrating windows server and all however he is all like "We MUST use Active Directory and that's going to use XXXX system resources!!!" however upon installing TCAdmin I see little use of Active Directory? So how is this kept secure?

I know for this to work we would need a C# or something program running on the node to manage the instances, and we have been working on this however as mentioned above we have struck a wall with the user management and security aspect of it. Any insight into how the current control panels do it?

Thanks!
    Jonathan Martin
    - MPServ LLC
    - MPServ.net - Quality Game Server Hosting - Minecraft - GMod - Team fortress 2
    - Custom Control Panel - Average 1 hour support response - Instant Activation - Amazing Prices!

Normaly the control panels for Windows runs with their own database, and use that for user authentication.

To secure TCAdmin (If i remember correctly) they just encode the user passwords in the database, and the connections between master and remote is just encrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisd View Post
    Normaly the control panels for Windows runs with their own database, and use that for user authentication.

To secure TCAdmin (If i remember correctly) they just encode the user passwords in the database, and the connections between master and remote is just encrypted.
    Thanks for your reply, however what I am getting at is:

What is stopping a malicious game plugin using its File system API to delete other peoples game server files?
    Jonathan Martin
    - MPServ LLC
    - MPServ.net - Quality Game Server Hosting - Minecraft - GMod - Team fortress 2
    - Custom Control Panel - Average 1 hour support response - Instant Activation - Amazing Prices!

For added security in TCADMIN use the install script area and install all services under a user. The user account will only have access to its root folder and can;t touch systems or other accounts.

Also as long as .dll resrtictions are in place on the upload settings its almost impossible to install a malicious plugin although it can happen and is why you should run it under a user account with limited permissions.

AD is not needed.

http://clientforums.tcadmin.com/show...19&postcount=1
    My IP >> 127.0.0.1 Hack Away!!

The TCAdmin system has it's own account as well, and it is a limited account. Some other control panels require you to provide it with Administrative access which would be very problematic.

The web panel also has it's own user account seperate from the other game server accounts. If you restrict .dll's you'll get lots of requests for this mod or that mod, as many plugins and mods for Source games in particular are full of dll's. Luckily TCAdmin has a nice Mod manager for this.

My experience is with V2 though and not V1
    -Ryan K
    Quality Minecraft hosting at a price you can afford!
    Managed Dedicated and VPS hosting.
    evlbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy222 View Post
    The TCAdmin system has it's own account as well, and it is a limited account. Some other control panels require you to provide it with Administrative access which would be very problematic.

The web panel also has it's own user account seperate from the other game server accounts. If you restrict .dll's you'll get lots of requests for this mod or that mod, as many plugins and mods for Source games in particular are full of dll's. Luckily TCAdmin has a nice Mod manager for this.

My experience is with V2 though and not V1
    Both V1 and V2 has the same ability with the Web account, User account, and the actual Monitor process.

The only benefit of V2 is a more granular control over the file permissions. With V1 you usually almost have to manually edit the configs in order to do this.

Some still prefer V1, some like V2 better than V1. Which is exactly why we run both

Quote Originally Posted by Jono20201 View Post
    Hi guys,

Over the past year and a half we have programmed our own control panel called Wrench to interact with Linux via SSH to control our customers Minecarft, Gmod and TF2 servers however as we have been looking to expand we have hit the wall of many new games are Windows only, and cannot (or can, with Wine/Mono... but.. meh) run on Linux.

I have been trying to understand how I could expand our control panel to interact with Windows however I am lacking in Windows server knowledge despite working on it briefly in the past. David, our CEO has the official microsoft certifications for administrating windows server and all however he is all like "We MUST use Active Directory and that's going to use XXXX system resources!!!" however upon installing TCAdmin I see little use of Active Directory? So how is this kept secure?

I know for this to work we would need a C# or something program running on the node to manage the instances, and we have been working on this however as mentioned above we have struck a wall with the user management and security aspect of it. Any insight into how the current control panels do it?

Thanks!
    Your CEO is wrong on two accounts.

1) You don't need Active Directory integration. Just use NTFS and group permissions.
    2) If you chose to use it for access to multiple machines from one login then have a dedicated AD controller (and backup) and the actual game servers don't have much overhead in being a part of a AD domain.

It is better though to use an application specific database and ntfs permissions.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services