Can't reply in special offers forum

I've been trying to reply to some posts in the special offers forum, but when I click "Submit Reply" I get this message:

Only one advertisement per five days allowed. Please do not attempt to violate forum rules, you will only be banned and shamed!

I thought we could reply as much as we wanted.

yahoooooo

I think they just turned the replies off in the advert forums.
    great move.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Headsurfer was saying in another thread that questions can be PM'd to the person making the offer, and that person can edit/update the original offer to clarify points.

Lats...

Too bad I didn't wait until after this to get my ad in

Just a little curious why they'd turn off the replies feature -- I thought it was a pretty smooth operation... and would love to have it turned back on.

I'm hoping its just a move of the site from current location to RackShack's data center.
    Ronnie T. Moore, Founder/Owner
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

I personally think this is a bad idea to shut off replies to hosting requests for a few reasons:

1st, many newbies might not understand using PM's- and even those that do might not actually take the time and hazzle to login to thier PM list. So, therefore, both hosting companies will suffer in sales from this move and potential clients will likely miss some good hosting matches.

2nd, one of the great but indirect benifits of being able to see other hosting companies responses is that you can compare your product(s), and make motifications of your offerings in the future based on competative offers.

Completely agree on both points, thanks for writing it so clearly hitspot -- If we step up moderator 'supervision' on the requests category could we turn it back on?

If nothing else I'd be happy to help moderate the forum.

Seems WHT has gone downhill since the sale... HeadSurfer, are you listening?
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

Originally posted by alwaysweb
    Just a little curious why they'd turn off the replies feature -- I thought it was a pretty smooth operation... and would love to have it turned back on.
    Guess you missed this thread: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=43598
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

The problem isn't lack of moderator supervision, the problem is how members (some) are using the forums and how the forums display threads. I know Robert asked about a display by start date hack (instead of display by most recent post), so if that ever comes to be, it would be an option. Anyhow, most of this was covered in the 4 page thread above.

• Chicken

Originally posted by alwaysweb
    Completely agree on both points, thanks for writing it so clearly hitspot -- If we step up moderator 'supervision' on the requests category could we turn it back on?

If nothing else I'd be happy to help moderate the forum.

Seems WHT has gone downhill since the sale... HeadSurfer, are you listening?

Gone downhill??? What do you mean. This is the only change that has been made since he took over. Please give me 2 reasons why this forum has gone downhill since headsurfer took over

Well, see hitspots two notes above...

Then the mysql errors lately, and locking down the ad requests forum is my biggest beef with it ... Just my $.02

I like the idea of no replies -- it gives honest companies a fair chance to be seen. Too often I see good offers getting pushed to the bottom because of other companies bumping themselves...

Hmm, interesting. I never saw "bumping" as a problem, maybe I wasn't looking close enough.

It is an easy fix to make the forums sort threads by start date and not last reply date -- this would clear up the bumping issue, and so forth eh?

I enjoy seeing what other hosts are offering (so we can gauge our prices, etc. accordingly) and it also gives the 'lurkers' on the board a chance to find out about what various hosts are offering, besides just the original thread starter getting a private reply...

mySQL errors? How could this possibly have anything to do with headsurfer. It is a bug in the system. Take a look at this thread
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...threadid=43879

Also for those 2 reasons that are just related to 1 change. I meant name two changes to this forum that was made by headsurfer that has made this forum go downhill. Also I would like to add most people wanted this change anyways. Majority rules man no matter how much you bitch about it.

As I said in another thread, everybody's not going to be happy either way. We realize that. I do like the idea of threads displayed by post date however. Certainly something to explore and try out (note: my opinion).

• Chicken