Head of Google denounces efforts to "switch off" Internet in UK.

Given the discussion in this topic, thought that this would be interesting.

"The head of Google has said it would be "a mistake" for governments to try to interfere with the internet in the wake of the English riots."

The full release is on both Google and the "Press Association" website. I still can't post links.

I think this demonstrates other industries are also working on issues similar to those identified in the legislative threads.

Here's a link:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1314384190089A

I liked Eric Schmidt's quote "It's a mistake to look in the mirror and decide to break the mirror."
    Christian Dawson Exectuive Director and Co-Founder, i2Coalition
    The i2Coalition is comprised of small to medium cloud providers, data centers, registrars, registries and other foundational Internet enterprises. Join today!
    Follow us on Twitter @i2coalition or checkout our forum!

It's a SHAME that Cameron even dare to *hint* at restricting (not to say shutting down) any component of the wireless Internet, just when we thought Iran and China were bad.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Did I miss a trick; when did anybody say they were going to turn off the internet? Or has speculation become fact?
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers
    l Assiva Ltd • UK Shared & Reseller LiteSpeed • 10 years of hosting • R1Soft

Quote Originally Posted by nameslave View Post
    It's a SHAME that Cameron even dare to *hint* at restricting (not to say shutting down) any component of the wireless Internet, just when we thought Iran and China were bad.
    Thing is, Cameron didn't say ANYTHING like that. I think you will find it was David Lammy, a Labour MP, that called for Twitter and BBM to be turned off because of the riots.
    This account is no longer active!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon-Orqoo View Post
    Thing is, Cameron didn't say ANYTHING like that.
    "Mr Speaker, everyone watching these horrific actions will be stuck [sic] by how they were organised via social media. Free flow of information can be used for good. But it can also be used for ill. And when people are using social media for violence we need to stop them. So we are working with the Police, the intelligence services and industry to look at whether it would be right to stop people communicating via these websites and services when we know they are plotting violence, disorder and criminality."
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

"Mr Speaker, everyone watching these horrific actions will be stuck [sic] by how they were organised via social media. Free flow of information can be used for good. But it can also be used for ill. And when people are using social media for violence we need to stop them. So we are working with the Police, the intelligence services and industry to look at whether it would be right to stop people communicating via these websites and services when we know they are plotting violence, disorder and criminality."
    That does not say anything like what you think it is saying.

From what I took to that, they are looking into something akin to a corporate firewall, where the firewall blocks access to adult material, for example.
    This account is no longer active!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon-Orqoo View Post
    That does not say anything like what you think it is saying.

From what I took to that, they are looking into something akin to a corporate firewall, where the firewall blocks access to adult material, for example.
    I'm sure they are only filtering out keywords like "mug" or "loot", and not anything remotely close to "democracy" or "Tiananmen".

Talk about reading your own conclusion.
    l 201TB.com • 201TB bandwidth as standard in three USA DC’s. KVMoIP, auto reboot & OS install all included - Now available in the Netherlands!
    l udedi.com • UK, USA & NL unmetered 100mb & 1GB 100TB premium bandwidth servers

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Benjamin View Post
    Talk about reading your own conclusion.
    I thought it was ridiculous enough to need to quote Cameron's direct speech in the Parliament but did so anyway just in case people went to Mars for the summer. However, I dare not claim any credit for coming to "my own conclusion", because hundreds (if not thousands) of mainstream media around the world (incl. Google) already did so.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...s-eric-schmidt

At best your title is misleading. They didn't propose to turn off the internet, the only thing mentioned was to block s select few social network services - and that was a suggestion at best.

May is understood to have opened the meeting by immediately ruling out restrictive measures and indicating that it was a discussion about improving law enforcement online.

Quote Originally Posted by AL-Benjamin View Post
    At best your title is misleading.
    My title? I didn't even start this thread. I for one would at least get the facts straight before commenting.

My title? I didn't even start this thread. I for one would at least get the facts straight before commenting.
    Yes my bad, I actually intended to type "At best the title is misleading" - that post also wasn't directed at you.

I think them blocking any websites is completely stupid. Sure, blocking access to illegal websites is fine but what you gotta remember is that facebook and/or twitter was used to help organize cleanup efforts as well!

Quote Originally Posted by AvamWeb-Luke View Post
    I think them blocking any websites is completely stupid. Sure, blocking access to illegal websites is fine but what you gotta remember is that facebook and/or twitter was used to help organize cleanup efforts as well!
    Why not? Thats what Tyranny governments do. Look at Germany, they ban the Internet as well, specially political websites they condemn or thing they consider dangerous. China and Iran do this as well. Allot of countries in Europe already ban or control parts of the Internet.

Do you think they are democracies? No, they just call democracy when things work they way they want. Look at Spain, millions of people went to the streets on the Iraq war, and still their government send troops with almost 90% disapproval.

Banning any kind of communications because criminals use them is just something a moron can propose. The UK always had this bright ideas, like banning all weapons thinking that would drop crime.

I have a better idea. Why don't they propose to make cell phones ilegal? Anyone carrying any kind of electrical and portable device on the streets should be immediately arrested. That would solve the problem for sure.

I think all countries should have access!
    Justin

Thats what Tyranny governments do. Look at Germany, they ban the Internet as well, specially political websites they condemn or thing they consider dangerous. China and Iran do this as well. Allot of countries in Europe already ban or control parts of the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcjdawson View Post
    Here's a link:

I liked Eric Schmidt's quote "It's a mistake to look in the mirror and decide to break the mirror."
    Don't get decieved easily....do some strong research before coming to conclusions. You haven't seen deception on the highest level before?

Just because someone says he support something doesn't mean behind closed doors he can't be going against the same thing he pretends he supports...we are in a "new world order" and things are now different
    Last edited by nokia3310; 11-16-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*

Quote Originally Posted by mrcjdawson View Post
    Here's a link:

Where it is? When I opened the link, it says me
    The article requested is no longer available.

I think Google has ended it???
    BloggerPNG.com - Blogging Tutorials