How does it work?

im new at this co-location and i wanna know how it works and whats involved before i even attempt to do it.

Theres been plenty of questions like this, use the Search feature above and find answers to your heart's desire.

Colo works

With colo you buy the server and configure it.. Get it all ready.. Then find a colo provider. What they do is give you space on their rack, power, and network. Some also provide monitoring services and mine provides a remote reboot also so if my server hangs I can go to a url and have my machine power off and on. Prices differ based on services offered and how much rack space you need and also how secure your providers facilities are.

Hope this helps. private message me for more if you like.

Justin

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colocation is the most basic type of advanced hosting, in which the hosting provider houses your server in its data center. You receive rack space (along with its associated power supply, climate control, and security) and bandwidth, but retain full control - and responsibility - for the server's configuration, administration and maintenance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: bandwidth sometimes not provided and you must source it yourself by purchasing from an ISP within the data center or ordering your own circuits.
    Also, most colocation customers receieve basic server support (i.e. "remote hands assistance" at no additional charge. Advanced support (i.e. hardware and software administration) is usually provided at additional charges.

The others have answered the basics... but I'll throw in some advice.

My experience is that most people are better off starting with dedicated than co-lo.

Unless you need special hardware (lots of RAM, lots of disk, multi-cpu).... dedicated is cheaper to get into. Also I find often that Windows servers are cheaper to co-locate than more competitive pricing on Linux / FreeBSD.

For newbies, co-location has one big risk. If that ISP gives you trouble, you can't easily switch. You have to have your servers shipped out...

Wtih dedicated you can just get a new site and run in parallel until you are ready to pull the plug.

Just something to consider.

Originally posted by StephenRS
    The others have answered the basics... but I'll throw in some advice.

My experience is that most people are better off starting with dedicated than co-lo.

Unless you need special hardware (lots of RAM, lots of disk, multi-cpu).... dedicated is cheaper to get into. Also I find often that Windows servers are cheaper to co-locate than more competitive pricing on Linux / FreeBSD.

For newbies, co-location has one big risk. If that ISP gives you trouble, you can't easily switch. You have to have your servers shipped out...

Wtih dedicated you can just get a new site and run in parallel until you are ready to pull the plug.

Just something to consider.

I would argue that and say that typically you get more for your money with colocation. This is why Dedicated Server providers themselves usually sign contracts with colocation providers.

What issues should I consider when choosing to colocate in another area of the country vs. locally?

I've been offered a great deal locally but with no sla or hands-on support. I think in order to get anywhere near the same deal but with an sla I'd have to be willing to go outside my area.

Thanks

Originally posted by tveye
    What issues should I consider when choosing to colocate in another area of the country vs. locally?

I've been offered a great deal locally but with no sla or hands-on support. I think in order to get anywhere near the same deal but with an sla I'd have to be willing to go outside my area.

Thanks
    That's an awfully big question and has caused many pains for a great many customers in your situation.

There are a few basic things you should consider:

1. Risk management. Make sure your decision will not expose you to unnecessary risk.

2. Disaster recovery. Make sure your decision will allow you to recover from a "disaster". (i.e. hardware failure, lost data, etc..)

3. Response time/Service. Make sure your decision will allow you to have access to a technical team who can assist you promptly should you require assistance.

4. Quality of Service. You can't afford poor network performance and other service impacting issues. It will kill your business, unless you don't mind. Interview some of their "unhappy" customers. Remember, you never need to worry about good news, just bad news.

5. Shipping. You will need to ship your gear in and out. Some shipping companies do a BAD job and damage your gear. Make sure it is well packed to help compensate for their lack of care.

6. Security. Since you won't be there you'll need to worry about this a little more. If you have alot of gear get a camera on it and feed the images to your location.

7. The SLA. Usually the credits are too small to worry about. Every provider has problems that impact customers. Some more than others. This is why you need to consider 1,2,3&4. Make sure the SLA allows you to get out of your contract if there are problems.

Thanks Papa Smurff. Very helpful points to consider.

im on a reseller now, and eventually plan on kicking it up a notch and was jus wondering how it works. Thanks a lot everyone who replied