vitalspeeds.com
    20 gig 6.95
    50 gig 19.95
    99.99% uptime

dathorn.com
    30 gig 13.50
    45 gig 20.25
    Guy banned because heavy db use?!?

I'm looking for webmasters who host at any of these companies, especially vitalspeeds.com, they have the most of my interest.

So any input on any of these hosts is welcome, please no one posters info from dathorn!

darthorn is the best on that list.

Kevin
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

They look good to me, but they blocked 2 people atleast ( he said that himself ) for heavy resources use. Well my game will use quite a lot resources, so it might not be the best option.

I contacted vitalspeeds and they replied fast and nice. They are cheap, but I never heared about them, anyone?

Originally posted by IWKY
    They look good to me, but they blocked 2 people atleast ( he said that himself ) for heavy resources use. Well my game will use quite a lot resources, so it might not be the best option.

I contacted vitalspeeds and they replied fast and nice. They are cheap, but I never heared about them, anyone?
    well, if Andrew blocked 2 people for heavy resources use, I wouldn't blame on him. If you site use quite a lot resources, then you better get a VPS solution instead of shared hosting reseller account.

Kevin
    P4HOST.COM -- Specialize in quality Web Hosting solutions.
    Affordable -- Prices are very comparative
    Reliable -- Very low load average guaranteed. 60 day money back. Fast Support --Support Forum -- Providing hosting since 2003

If you're going to use a lot of resources mabye looking at the cheap provider isn't the wise move to make.
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

I echo what the others have said. A VDS would probably be much more suited to what you need, as a shared environment might be drained from the resources that your game utilizes.

Well I don't want to spend more, i'm not using massive load or something, but i don't want to take that risk.

Sounds to me like you're stuck then bud. It would help if we had an idea of what type of resource usage we're looking at. I agree it's too close to call here, but you have to be willing to put money into the project. Perhaps you could look at advertising as a form to pay for some of the cost.

I will pull money out of it, but only after the player base is a few thousand. It's useless to try making $ with 1k members...

So, until then, I'm looking for a cheap solution, don't worry about the resources they won't be THAT big!!!

vitalspeeds.com looks best for me?

It's useless to try making $ with 1k members...
    Be warned: You're about to get the full blast of a rant that some WHT posters have had coming for a long time.

There is a customer who colocates with us. Along with a bunch of family websites and some sites for himself, he runs an online game written in PHP and MySQL and played through a web browser.

He charges $1 every two months if you wish to play. Now, you can pay more, and get more "credits" in the game if you wish -- but as long as you want to just hold on to your membership and keep playing at a basic level, all you have to do is send him $6 a year.

I'm not sure how many active members he has, but it's probably somewhere between 500 and 1000 -- and he makes over $500 a month off the game and associated website advertising. Yes, that's right, $500 a month.

If you think you can't make money off 1000 members, you are dead wrong. And if you think you need to cheap out on a web hosting package, you are also wrong.

People on this thread have advised you that any game/forum/whatever you had in mind with 1000 members will require something more beefy than a shared hosting account. Your logic astounds me -- you're basically saying that you don't care if a provider shuts you down for excess bandwidth/resource usage as long as you can only pay $10/month for hosting. Do I have this right?

I can guarantee you that you will lose a ton of members once your site gets shut down because you're using too many resources on a shared server. The fact that you don't seem to care about this suggests to me that you may need to re-think your business plan... specifically the part about how much money you can make from this venture. Otherwise, you're headed into dangerous territory... and I will fully expect to see you back here within 6 months complaining about how your provider either shut you down or went out of business because they gave you a deal that was too good to be true.

Erica Douglass, Founder, Simpli Hosting, Inc.
    »»» I founded Simpli Hosting, and sold it in 2007 to Silicon Valley Web Hosting after over 6 years in the business.
    Now I'm blogging at erica.biz!

Amen.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

Very well said Erica

Simpli-Erica... WOW... that was good. Nice way to kick someone in the pants without going overboard....

I would listen to the points made... they are valid.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Well said, Lady Erica!

Some good points yes, but if i start charging 1$ a month i will loose probably 90% from my members... that means only 100 left, which isn't enough to make the game function well, there just has to be a larger player base. That's why i want to go up to like 2500 members, then enough paying people would stay.

I'm with a quit expensive dutch host atm, they also have their downtimes, offcours service is great, i could buy a bigger package, but costs are too high imo for what i get...

Erica, could you give me the name of that game?

Has anyone experience with a descent host that is still a little cheap? Not looking for offers, just experiences from people!
    Last edited by IWKY; 10-31-2003 at 04:43 AM.

[B]Some good points yes, but if i start charging 1$ a month i will loose probably 90% from my members... that means only 100 left, which isn't enough to make the game function well, there just has to be a larger player base. That's why i want to go up to like 2500 members, then enough paying people would stay.
    Sounds like you to invest a little capital into your venture.

BTW, is one of those games that cause people to spam via forums and email in order to get ahead and win prizes?

IMO, those type of games are the scourge of the internet. One stone short of a pyramid scheme if you ask me.