CrocWeb goes down again !

Server 11 down since past 4 hours.

Affecting Server - server11 | Priority - Critical

Hello,

Server11 appears to be having issues booting up. We are investigating and will provide updates once available.

UPDATE (12:29AM EST): Datacenter is having major cooling issues which caused the raid array to fail on this server only. We are replacing the drives and may need to do a bare-metal restore.

UPDATE (02:00AM EST): The restore process has begun, we will provide hourly updates as the data is being restored.

UPDATE (03:00AM EST): 44.8 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (04:00AM EST): 114 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Regards,
    CrocWeb
    Date - 13/02/2014 23:32
    Last Updated - 14/02/2014 04:00

CrocWeb is not down, only one of our servers suffered failure due to datacenter cooling issues.

Hardware failure do happen. At least they are updating you on the situation.

#$%@ happens it will be okay they have been around awhile now.

Exactly. this is the message of the situation:

Server11 appears to be having issues booting up. We are Investigating and eleven Will Provide updates available

by

https://www.crocweb.com/clients/serverstatus.php

And? From what I see they are working hard to fix it.. hardware fails and life will be life, let them do their job and stop complaining, understand that this is how technology works, it can fail.

It just not make them a bad provider, if they took 2 days to start fixing it then fair play

Yeha these things happen, there is not much they can do about it, and good on them for fixing so fast.

So many quick customers looking to jump on there web hosts back and kick them when there down.

Hardware fails. This will always be the case. As long as entropy exists - hardware and everything else will eventually fail - fact of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixels Hosts View Post
    So many quick customers looking to jump on there web hosts back and kick them when there down.

Hardware fails. This will always be the case. As long as entropy exists - hardware and everything else will eventually fail - fact of life.
    Aah nothing new. happens with every provider. Just like ezpz nowadays.

Hardware failures can happen with any provider whatever how good that provider was in past.

Server 11 is on its 2nd hardware failure in less then a year.. combine that with the DDOS attack I believe the customer has a right to be a bit upset.

UPDATE (10:00AM EST): 429.1 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

What is the percentage of a 2nd hardware failure in a less then a year? I think server 11 is the bad one to be on honestly. I am in the same boat as the OP.

You got this croc fix it faster next time...

Have a blank server to star the download the moment **** hits the fan.... That way you can SSD to another SSD fast after you swap out the hardware.

This whole watching it download thing gets old for 10 hours+

I support you croc for getting it up and working fast. Always A+ support. Lets just learn from these downtimes like you did with the DDOS

UPDATES:

Server11 appears to be having issues booting up. We are investigating and will provide updates once available.

UPDATE (12:29AM EST): Datacenter is having major cooling issues which caused the raid array to fail on this server only. We are replacing the drives and may need to do a bare-metal restore.

UPDATE (02:00AM EST): The restore process has begun, we will provide hourly updates as the data is being restored.

UPDATE (03:00AM EST): 44.8 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (04:00AM EST): 114 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (05:00AM EST): 192.2 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (06:00AM EST): 251.9 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (07:00AM EST): 307.5 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (08:00AM EST): 359.9 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (09:00AM EST): 401.2 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

UPDATE (10:00AM EST): 429.1 GB out of 438.1 GB has been restored.

its been 10 hours since the downtime.
    I know hardware fails sometimes but we had 3 downtimes in a matter of 45 days. First DDOS attack which lasted nearly 50 hours (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1339773). Then another downtime in the name of power problem, another few more hours (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...1342876&page=3).

Now this.
    When you are hosting your clients website under reseller account then its hard to explain them why ONLY their websites are down every now and then.

Plus in update why in 10th hour it was able to recover 29 GB when every other hour it was able to recover above 40 GB ?

Are they trying to buy some time ?

Looks like its time to bid final goodbye to Crocweb before my clients says goodbye to me.
    Last edited by octron; 02-14-2014 at 11:58 AM.

This can happen to any provider, no provider is immune. To think moving to a new provider will prevent it from happening is laughable.

1.) DDOS attacks happen
    2.) Power failures happen
    3.) Hardware failures happen

Get used to it. Every host eventually has them.

This will not achieve anything. As others have stated, hardware failures happen and so do attacks and such. If you want something with higher uptime, you'll be paying considerably more than you are with CrocWeb, most likely in a cloud based environment. Even then, you're not immune to outages.

Whoever you move to will face outages at some point, that's a guarantee. CrocWeb are providing updates via their site and doing their best to fix the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by octron View Post
    Looks like its time to bid final goodbye to Crocweb before my clients says goodbye to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWD View Post
    You got this croc fix it faster next time...

Have a blank server to star the download the moment **** hits the fan.... That way you can SSD to another SSD fast after you swap out the hardware.
    You obviously have no clue how this works. for FSCK sake!

Server 11 is on its 2nd hardware failure in less then a year.. combine that with the DDOS attack I believe the customer has a right to be a bit upset.
    You have a right to get upset at anything and everything.

But this sort of thing happens. No provider is immune to hardware / network / datacenter problems. If a provider ever says they are, you need to immediately run in the opposite direction. The best that you can hope for is to:

1) Have a provider who keeps you updated (as they are)
    2) Have backups in case something goes wrong

About two years ago we were using a reseller account with a very well-respected provider on here who was in one of the best datacenters out there. I'm not going to drop names, but the DC was among the best of the best. Really high end stuff. They got two bad RAID backplanes in a row that kept the server offline for a long time. If that can happen to a high-end provider that charges many times over industry standard pricing, it can happen to anyone.

At least CrocWeb is keeping you updated on the progress, which is more than I can say for some hosts we've worked with in the past.
    Last edited by FRH Lisa; 02-14-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: wrong host name! oops

What is the percentage of a 2nd hardware failure in a less then a year? I think server 11 is the bad one to be on honestly. I am in the same boat as the OP.
    The only reason the drives failed were because of the cooling issue at the datacenter. It was very hot while we were in there.

The server has been back online since the past hour and appears to be stable. If you have any issues, please contact our support department. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Quote Originally Posted by JayNL View Post
    You obviously have no clue how this works. for FSCK sake!
    Your right and that is why I pay for managed support. Anyways you obviously didn't read the rest of my post:

I support you croc for getting it up and working fast. Always A+ support. Lets just learn from these downtimes like you did with the DDOS
    I am just hopping they can think of a way to speed it up next time. I realize this stuff happens. It just seems server 11 is the hotspot or something. Maybe I need to move off server 11 but every time I think that I assume... hey since it just failed my SSD is new now I guess 2 times in less then a year can happen as you guys have stated.

Quote Originally Posted by CrocWeb View Post
    The only reason the drives failed were because of the cooling issue at the datacenter. It was very hot while we were in there.

The server has been back online since the past hour and appears to be stable. If you have any issues, please contact our support department. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Thanks for working hard on it guys awesome work. I know this stuff happens