What features in a web host do I need?

HI I want to have three websites. One is for a plant nursery - no special needs there. Doubt we will sell online but want to let people know about our specials.

Another is a law office - no special needs there

The third is for a legal non-profit campaign where thousands of emails will be sent in short time periods. Maybe even one email with 3000 recipients.

A few people from remote areas will need to be able to get in and manage the emails.

I have Microsoft Outlook and thought I would need Microsoft Exchange but there is DROPBOX or Evernote that would allow these files to be shared? Am I thinking correctly?

I am not sure what do you wont. If you wont go give someone like "admin" who will be able to create new mails, then you will need to give him access only. I don't get it for what you need dropbox and webhosting, it's all different stuffs.

I think normal shared web hosting is more than enough.

I have no idea what you are talking about please elaborate.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Quote Originally Posted by PromptSpace-Kushal View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about please elaborate.
    Same here pal. i think he is trying to ask the normal service in the different way

First, the email client you run on your desktop doesn't limit you. There may be special advantages to using a Windows server if you have Outlook, but everything you want to do can be done easily from a linux server.

As in your other thread, the problem is going to be the mailing list. But putting that aside for now:

The cheapest way:
    Look for a webhost with a plan that has at least three "add-on domains" (not "parked domains"). This single account can host all three of your sites. You use a 'main domain' as the main account, and then "add on" the other two domains. You manage them all through that one account. From a host like MDDHosting.com, where I have a VPS, that type of account will cost you from $7.50 to $8 a month. To save your sanity, do not go with the cheapest host; look for well regarded hosts here that people have had experience with, then search these forums for reviews of them.

In this type of plan, you will be utilizing a third party service for your spam list (oops, sorry, your double opt-in, easy to opt-out CAN-SPAM compliant mailing list that you have records showing each email address has requested inclusion that you can show the Feds).

Great expense, greater freedom, more responsibility:
    Get a fully managed VPS from a company like MDDHosting.com, KnownHost.com, or another company that is well regarded here. Monthly cost for a 768MB or higher RAM VPS with cPanel control panel will be $40 to $60. Hire someone like ConfigServer.com to set up and harden the cPanel VPS for you, installing their firewall, mail scanner service, etc., for $125. There is a slight learning curve once set up, so expect to spend 10 to 40 hours learning how to add an account in "Web Host Manager", respond to intrusion attacks, etc. Or you can contract with a server management company that you can call on when needed, at $80 per hour and up. (My estimate would be that once set up and hardened, you wouldn't need this very often, perhaps 2 - 3x's per year).

On a VPS you can send your mailings, as you can set the hourly email limit to anything you like. You will need to spend from 4 to 10 hours each time a mailing goes out contacting any or all of the 100+ blacklists when someone reports your email as spam, showing that they not only requested to be on the email list, but that they confirmed the choice through a double opt-in method (clicking a link on an email, etc ... you did save those, didn't you?)

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    First, the email client you run on your desktop doesn't limit you. There may be special advantages to using a Windows server if you have Outlook, but everything you want to do can be done easily from a linux server.

As in your other thread, the problem is going to be the mailing list. But putting that aside for now:

The cheapest way:
    Look for a webhost with a plan that has at least three "add-on domains" (not "parked domains"). This single account can host all three of your sites. You use a 'main domain' as the main account, and then "add on" the other two domains. You manage them all through that one account. From a host like MDDHosting.com, where I have a VPS, that type of account will cost you from $7.50 to $8 a month. To save your sanity, do not go with the cheapest host; look for well regarded hosts here that people have had experience with, then search these forums for reviews of them.

In this type of plan, you will be utilizing a third party service for your spam list (oops, sorry, your double opt-in, easy to opt-out CAN-SPAM compliant mailing list that you have records showing each email address has requested inclusion that you can show the Feds).

Great expense, greater freedom, more responsibility:
    Get a fully managed VPS from a company like MDDHosting.com, KnownHost.com, or another company that is well regarded here. Monthly cost for a 768MB or higher RAM VPS with cPanel control panel will be $40 to $60. Hire someone like ConfigServer.com to set up and harden the cPanel VPS for you, installing their firewall, mail scanner service, etc., for $125. There is a slight learning curve once set up, so expect to spend 10 to 40 hours learning how to add an account in "Web Host Manager", respond to intrusion attacks, etc. Or you can contract with a server management company that you can call on when needed, at $80 per hour and up. (My estimate would be that once set up and hardened, you wouldn't need this very often, perhaps 2 - 3x's per year).

On a VPS you can send your mailings, as you can set the hourly email limit to anything you like. You will need to spend from 4 to 10 hours each time a mailing goes out contacting any or all of the 100+ blacklists when someone reports your email as spam, showing that they not only requested to be on the email list, but that they confirmed the choice through a double opt-in method (clicking a link on an email, etc ... you did save those, didn't you?)
    Nicely said pal. I think none can explain this more than you

Its better for him to utilize the third party CAN-SPAM like the aweber for the mailing lists

Personally I would just use a regular webhost. Sending 3000 emails isn't that onerous on a server, and shouldn't cause too many problems. I have a few sites on regular shared hosting accounts that send out about 2500 emails per month to our subscribers.

From what I can tell, as long as your subscribers are actually interested in what you're sending them, none of them will report you to the hosting, and you won't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Opeechee View Post
    Personally I would just use a regular webhost. Sending 3000 emails isn't that onerous on a server, and shouldn't cause too many problems. I have a few sites on regular shared hosting accounts that send out about 2500 emails per month to our subscribers.

From what I can tell, as long as your subscribers are actually interested in what you're sending them, none of them will report you to the hosting, and you won't have any problems.
    my friend i think its 3000 emails in an hour he is mentioning. 2500 mails per month is nothing but piece of cake Please dont take it seriously. Just for fun

A few times a year it would be a mailing that would go to 3000 recipients.

I guess what I'm asking is what kind of services I would need.

The problems is when a person is so new (and ignorant) he doesn't even know what questions to ask and it seems all video-tutorials on Youtube are all ads for the different hosting companies.

Hi friend, you just need a good reliable host with the cheapest plan that offers +3 add-on domains. Even 100 MB is enough. Configure your Outlook to send mails through the mail server with BCC and that's it....or use a mailing list
    3000 mails/ month is nothing.
    ReoHost.com
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS |
    cPanel | Softacolous | Solus VM
    10 days FREE trial with no limits!

Quote Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
    A few times a year it would be a mailing that would go to 3000 recipients.

I guess what I'm asking is what kind of services I would need.

The problems is when a person is so new (and ignorant) he doesn't even know what questions to ask and it seems all video-tutorials on Youtube are all ads for the different hosting companies.
    hey don't feel for that pal. for this only we are for you. as adyshor said, a cheap web hosting plan is more than enough for this

For the sites, I also think a standard shared plan from a good host is all that's needed.

For the mailing lists, shared hosting is out. You'll need a VPS or dedicated server, or you'll need to use a mail service like myEmma or ConstantContact. Shared hosts cap email, and 3,000 is definitely going to exceed most caps. You'll just end up suspended.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    For the sites, I also think a standard shared plan from a good host is all that's needed.

For the mailing lists, shared hosting is out. You'll need a VPS or dedicated server, or you'll need to use a mail service like myEmma or ConstantContact. Shared hosts cap email, and 3,000 is definitely going to exceed most caps. You'll just end up suspended.
    A dedicated server just for sending 3000 emails which would only happen a few times a year? You have to be joking.

Most shared hosts only allow a couple hundred an hour but as Opeechee stated there are a quite a few hosts out there that will try and accommodate mass emails every so often.

ocean2026 do you have any mailer scripts/software? Some scripts can stagger or schedule mailings.
    █ | Hoopla Hosting -
    █ | WordPress Web Hosting New Zealand - Reseller Hosting - cPanel - Zurmo Hosting - Softaculous - CloudFlare

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopla-Brad View Post
    A dedicated server just for sending 3000 emails which would only happen a few times a year? You have to be joking.
    Not at all.
    It's a viable solution, assuming budget is there.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by adyshor View Post
    Hi friend, you just need a good reliable host with the cheapest plan that offers +3 add-on domains. Even 100 MB is enough. Configure your Outlook to send mails through the mail server with BCC and that's it....or use a mailing list
    3000 mails/ month is nothing.
    There are two problems with your suggestion.

1) Most shared servers limit the number of emails per hour, and scripts like MailMan (included on most linux servers) have no way to limit the number of emails sent per hour. He will need to install and configure a script such as PHPList to send in batches no more than the limit the host has set. By default, cPanel comes with a built-in limit of just 300 emails per hour from an account.

2) AOL and many other email providers will automatically list your IP address as "spam" and blacklist you if you have more than "x-number" of recipients on an email. Some blacklists use other blacklists. If your domain is responsible for putting a server on a blacklist, the host may suspend you without warning, and delete all your data. Most hosts have a "zero tolerance" policy regarding spam.

It is irresponsible to tell a business owner he can get away with sending unsolicited email, especially to lawyers (as his other post indicates). Not only is there the prospect of his email getting blocked by the recipients, but his target audience ... other businesses ... often use corporate firewalls that will block the entire website, such as SonicWall. It only takes one jerk among the 3,000 to cause a problem, and sometimes people report an email they asked for, and confirmed, simply because its easier to report the email as spam than it is to click the "unsubscribe" link the Feds require you to have.

I have been there, done that, and didn't even get kissed.