Thread: dc closing down

Unhappy dc closing down

My dc is closing down. I can't find any post about it here and that's strange. Anyways, I'm buffled by the short notice I have been given, and I've been paying monthly sice 6-7 years now...

Does anyone have any experience with dc's closing down?

I really don't want to be forced to re-install everything (or anything), but they don't colocate..

I'm not anyway near the place or I would go there and try to buy that old server and co-locate somewhere else...

Who is the datacenter?
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

it's a very big one actually, they have 2 centers in Houston, and they are closing Houston 1 down. i don't understand why they can't move it to houston 2. I don't know if I should tell their name now. I'm still waiting for them to send me a solution to this. desparate situation here..

Are you going through a reseller or direct with the dc? If it is a reseller; are you sure the reseller might not just be closing down there business or a section of there business?

So you are running a 6-7 years old server and don't want to be bothered with reinstalling? I'd say get a new server NOW before the old one dies.

ftn-kevin, believe me, they are not a reseller. I originally had the server with another company, they were bought out by a bigger one, and then the bigger one was bought by this one. when I asked for co-location, their answer was they actually don't bother co-locate for me, they said they only do that for bigger solutions > $5k/month
    Last edited by AbsolutelyFreeWeb; 05-27-2012 at 05:29 AM.

rds100, that's what backups are for.. re-installing with new plesk will break sites, lots of time and headache I don't really long for right now..

Does the server have RAID? If not you should definately move out ASAP, as hard drives have a life span of about 3-5 years being actively used.

In any case I suggest you find a new host ASAP and migrate. I would recommend contacting QuadraNet, Limestone Networks, or Ionity to see who can meet your budget and provide you with a solution tailored to your needs.

Wishing you the best in success.

I must say I do agree you probably ought to replace the server now, rather than wait till it dies and then have to do it with a bunch of irate customers on your back. However, it's your business and they are your customers. Have you asked if they will sell you the server? I'd be surprised if they say no as 6 year old servers have very low resale value and it sounds like they are about to have a whole bunch of them on their hands!
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com

This sounds like rackshack/the planet/softlayer. A topic does exist:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...1136036&page=5

and I agree with others, jump on this NOW get moving you ancient server is liable to die any moment.

They are not going to close until June 30th.

"
    To accommodate customers who have asked for more time to migrate, we've extended the migration deadline through the end of June.

Please note that this is the final extension we are able to offer. Your server migration must be completed by June 30, 2012.
    "
    24Shells in Business Since 2003 - AS55081
    Dedicated Servers, High Bandwidth Servers
    @24Shells - 24shells.net

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post

and I agree with others, jump on this NOW get moving you ancient server is liable to die any moment.
    If it is related there were good offers for existing customers, the OP should get intouch with them to see what deal he can get, but it may be a bit late now.

so it is closing but you never once mentioned the name of it...

and ask for information...

so, some company somewhere in the world is closing soon....
    we will get right on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyFreeWeb View Post
    it's a very big one actually, they have 2 centers in Houston, and they are closing Houston 1 down. i don't understand why they can't move it to houston 2. I don't know if I should tell their name now. I'm still waiting for them to send me a solution to this. desparate situation here..
    This tells you who it is right here...
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Maybe the DC doesn't want to take such an old server in the new DC since it could be a fire hazard ;-) Not to mention how terribly power inefficient it is, compared to modern hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by rds100 View Post
    Maybe the DC doesn't want to take such an old server in the new DC since it could be a fire hazard ;-) Not to mention how terribly power inefficient it is, compared to modern hardware.
    That is the case hence they were offering deals to all existing customers on new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_R View Post
    I must say I do agree you probably ought to replace the server now, rather than wait till it dies and then have to do it with a bunch of irate customers on your back. However, it's your business and they are your customers. Have you asked if they will sell you the server? I'd be surprised if they say no as 6 year old servers have very low resale value and it sounds like they are about to have a whole bunch of them on their hands!
    The thought has crossed my mind. But since I can't be in Houston anytime soon, I don't know how to move the server. I would need a colocation facility to move it for me...

clever, and thank you for the link. If I got any such mail in March, I did not notice it. I got the reminder a few days ago, and approached their chat. They said they should have opened support tickets for this, which they had not. So for me it's really short notice.

That is the case hence they were offering deals to all existing customers on new hardware.
    I'm still waiting for that offer. Their quote right now is almost twice my current pricing.

The thought has crossed my mind. But since I can't be in Houston anytime soon, I don't know how to move the server. I would need a colocation facility to move it for me...

If they were to sell it to you, they would no doubt be happy to pack and send it to your new location also - at a cost of course. And your new location would undoubtedly be happy to rack it up and connect it for you. All data centres do these things all the time, for themselves or for customers.
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com

they said it's a tower computer and not rack mounted. second that they won't sell. in other words colocation plans on ice

Brian, thanks for the info

they said it's a tower computer and not rack mounted. second that they won't sell. in other words colocation plans on ice

Brian, thanks for the info
    Oh well, worth a try. Maybe they have a recon dealer lined up already for the whole lot - or maybe they just want to keep as many rental customers as possible and don't want to lose a few to colo in the process.

Looking on the silver lining, at least it'll get you to move onto a more modern server and avoid some potential issues up ahead.

brian.rae@thordc.com

I am reading your posts for the last day or so and I don't understand why you try to stick with your old server and outdated plesk installation?
    Just rent a server from somewhere , according to your budget and needs.
    If you like plesk that much, make your new provider install whatever current version they offer.
    Go find a management firm who offers data migration.
    And tell them exactly what you want.
    Pay them. let them migrate your data and check and find whatever problems you may have with your data.
    Done.
    It will only take a day or two...
    http://www.youripaddy.com/
    What is your IP Address? Do you use proxy?

Get in contact with the Sales team over at Hostdime. Their off the self prices are a lot better then their advertised prices. They will even assist you in your move and make sure everything works out for you.

I have been in their Orlando FL DC for over a year now and have had no problems once soever as far as network and hardware concerns go.
    Tyler S.
    TheWareHive.com | Hosting Sites Since 2010

"Problems Of Today, Meet Solutions Of Tomorrow"
    US East ~ Shared, Dedicated & Fully Managed VPS Solutions