Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does Windows Server Web Ed. & Windows Server Standard Ed. mean?

Does someone know what that means? I can sometime choose this option if I want to buy a server. Thanks in advance.

The main difference is that web edition can't run certain applications, for example the full version of MS SQL. If all you want is a web server web edition will be fine.

Jo

Also the Web Edition can have a max of 2 GB RAM and the Standard Edition a max of 4 GB (I am talking about 32-bit version).
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

So Standard Edition is better? And what happens if I don't choose none ot them?

Standard will pretty much be your best choice, unless you require some of the more advanced features of enterprise.

What do you mean "don't choose none of them"?
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Windows Server Web supports......
    • Windows Server Web supports 32GB of RAM (4GB on 32-bit Systems)
    • Support for up to four multi-core processors
    • No limitation of Microsoft SQL Server installation
    • And People, it is August, soon to be September 2008, take the time to implement the new stuff, because around spring of next year, you can't get a SPLA on 2003.

And that is all 99% of web hoster's will need.
    Ray Womack @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK™ ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by PSFServers View Post
    Windows Server Web supports......
    • Windows Server Web supports 32GB of RAM (4GB on 32-bit Systems)
    • Support for up to four multi-core processors
    • No limitation of Microsoft SQL Server installation
    • And People, it is August, soon to be September 2008, take the time to implement the new stuff, because around spring of next year, you can't get a SPLA on 2003.

And that is all 99% of web hoster's will need.
    I'm not sure where you got your info, but it is incorrect:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc758523.aspx
    • 2-GB RAM Maximum

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...30828.aspx#E4D

• Organizations cannot use Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, to deploy Microsoft SQL Server, other than SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

Turn your calender, it is no longer 2003. It's like somebody asking a question about CentOS and quoting information from Centos 2.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv.../2008-web.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Slitheryimp View Post
    I'm not sure where you got your info, but it is incorrect:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc758523.aspx
    • 2-GB RAM Maximum

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...30828.aspx#E4D
    • Organizations cannot use Windows Server 2003 Web Edition, to deploy Microsoft SQL Server, other than SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

In Windows Server 2003 Web Edition only run SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

Turn your calender, it is no longer 2003. It's like somebody asking a question about CentOS and quoting information from Centos 2.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv.../2008-web.aspx
    My apologies , most hosts here in Europe still only have Win 2003 available, we're a little behind here

Thumbs up

Yes. Web Ed supports 2gb max. Web Ed is a bit cheaper. Its worth if you dont want to upgrade your hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by HL90 View Post
    Does someone know what that means? I can sometime choose this option if I want to buy a server. Thanks in advance.
    Ok, let's end this nonsense right now.

You need to select Windows Server Web 2008, when you order. It is entirely different than Windows Server 2003 Web Edition (that people keep quoting at nasium).

Don't deploy a server with Windows Server 2003 anymore. SPLA providers will not be able to offer it shortly after the start of next year.

Ok, let's end this nonsense right now.

You need to select Windows Server Web 2008, when you order. It is entirely different than Windows Server 2003 Web Edition (that people keep quoting at nasium).

Don't deploy a server with Windows Server 2003 anymore. SPLA providers will not be able to offer it shortly after the start of next year.

So Windows Server Web Ed. = Windows Server Web 2008

and

Windows Server Standard Ed. = Windows Server 2003

??

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Standard will pretty much be your best choice, unless you require some of the more advanced features of enterprise.

What do you mean "don't choose none of them"?
    I mean if it's possible to have a server wihout a web edition or a standard edtion.

No, those are the three editions available: Web, Standard and Enterprise. Windows 2008 brings the Datacenter edition too. There is no plain "Windows Server 2003".
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    No, those are the three editions available: Web, Standard and Enterprise. Windows 2008 brings the Datacenter edition too. There is no plain "Windows Server 2003".
    Why do you keep talking about windows 2003, I'm pulling my hair out over here!

edit: Ok, I mis read your point. There was also a DC Version of 2003.

I've used Web, Std, Ent, etc, and from experience, Web had no problems with 4 GB Ram, it all did show to me, 2003 ofc.

WIndows server 2008 is still a new version of OS so I would like to prefer you that go with windows server 2003 Standard Edition .
    I have been working with this edition from last 5 yrs.
    Its good to have.

For criminy sakes people. Sevrver 2003 et al is not going away anytime soon and the rush to 2008 is being pushed by those who are not letting the industry burn it in.

My personal recommendation is to deploy Windows 2008 (whatever edition you choose) no sooner than SP1. To say 2003 is deprecated is foolishness. I mean goodness, extended support for Windows 2000 Datacenter Edition ends in 2010.

Be very very wary of the "rush to get 2008 because 2003 is dead" comments being tossed around. The 2008 OS was released just a few months ago! Sure it has some pretty cool features, but hardly in a position to replace 2003. Not by a long shot.
    Adam - AQORN
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member, Corporate Sponsor and AI Research Team
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

Enough of the 'professional' opinions already which are mostly wrong.

Visit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx which has all the answers if you have any questions about memory limitations.
    Adam - AQORN
    Our Clients: Facebook | Red Hat | Starbucks | AT&T | HPE | NVIDIA | CrowdStrike | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu

"and from experience, Web had no problems with 4 GB Ram, it all did show to me, 2003"
    Wrong. You were using Web 2008. Only 08 Web has a 4GB capacity.
    Adam - AQORN

No ?

I've never touched 08 OS systems, nor do I plan to.

Might be that I used the x64 system, been years ago now.

One of the biggest differences between Web Edition and another is licensing.

With standard (and Enterprise, etc) Windows Server editions you need to pay for CALs (client access licenses / 'concurrent connections', sort of) for each client of the server.

Because someone connecting to the web server (i.e. using a web application) could be considered a client under Microsoft Licensing, and it was urneasonable to expect a host to buy CALs for every web server client, Web Edition was created which solves this licensing problem.
    » Kayako customer service software and live chat software- your customers deserve better than helpdesk

I'm sure some people will say its simple but I find licensing of Microsoft Windows SPLA fairly confusing. People want to do the right thing and licence the software and it seems Microsoft does its best to baffle people.

As others have mentioned check out the SPLA site or contact a vendor who can explain SPLA to do. I used Insight in the UK and they were pretty helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by snelson View Post
    I'm sure some people will say its simple but I find licensing of Microsoft Windows SPLA fairly confusing. People want to do the right thing and licence the software and it seems Microsoft does its best to baffle people.

As others have mentioned check out the SPLA site or contact a vendor who can explain SPLA to do. I used Insight in the UK and they were pretty helpful.
    that's why Apace/*nix beat the crap out of MS when it come to webhosting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast