Hybrid View

Does it matter who I register my domain name with?

Does it matter who I register my domain name with? Is it less of an issue than looking for a suitable web host?

If I registered my domain with one which is relatively cheap for a whole year (say $10), am I getting my money's worth? How much should I really expect to be paying for a domain name and what would be too much?

And are there any other considerations I should take into account or is it a relatively simple process compared to buying a web hosting plan?

Thanks

In theory: no.

In practice: yes.

If you are just registering a domain of little value I would pick any one of the recommended registrars/resellers around here. Point the DNS, and be happy.

If you are buying a lot, managing a lot, or buying very expensive domains security, features and management would become an issue, I would consider more carefully and look at places like Moniker.

So basically I would say its really based on your needs, if you're going to stick it on auto-renew and forget about it, most places can handle it, pik a company that others generally use (some obscure registrars out there with bad support and such in case somethig does go wrong) but for most people it isnt an issue.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

So the actual domain host comes into play more for if you're doing eCommerce?

If you have either a personal website or a non-profit site of no commercial value, even though it might be of value to you, then it doesn't matter which domain name host you use? Would I be correct there?

Well I am referring to risk. If losing this domain due to something on registrar front would cause major losses, paying a bit extra might be in your best interests. If you're not planning anything important saving an extra buck or two might suit you. In terms of function, they both will point to your DNS servers and act the same, (well unless you picked a REALLY bad registrar).
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Like many things in life, companies change. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.
    Pick a registrar that has decent prices and a good reputation and check on it from time to time. Personally, I stay away from registrars that price renewals at below cost.

That you found this forum and posted means you care more about your domains than most people.

While I normally suggest name.com/domainsite.com, I'm feeling particularly good about namecheap.com right now.

Expect to pay $8-$10. Go with a registrar with a lot of recommendations, like NameCheap. The only reason not to consider NameCheap might be for a complete noob who requires a lot of handholding. If you can find your way around a control panel, that's enough. Actually, their CP is quite good. One should take every decision seriously, whether it be a registrar or a webhost.
    Signature Under Construction.

If i were you, i would be looking this forums for different experiences with registrars, you can read some horror stories about some of them, and decide yourself who not to make business with.