Operating System

If I get into a co-location plan, I get to install any operating system I want right? Or is there a specific os i have to pick?

Along with your plan you'll have to provide a server. You can put whatever you like on the server and the DC will expect it pre-config'd etc.

Chris
    Chris Wells [clwells - at - nexcess.net]
    Nexcess - Beyond Hosting
    Dearborn, MI DC ● Southfield, MI DC
    Wordpress Hosting, Magento Hosting & More!

Right you own the servers, they just give you the space.

Originally posted by designerforhire
    Right you own the servers, they just give you the space.
    about that, are tower servers fine with some co-locations? Or do they only have those little servers that are the size of laptops.

It really depends. Rackmount servers (i.e. 19" wide servers meant for rack mounting in DCs) are normally cheaper to colo, but this seems to be changing a bit given the market. Definitely ask your colo provider beforehand and see if there is a price differernce.

Chris
    Chris Wells [clwells - at - nexcess.net]
    Nexcess - Beyond Hosting
    Dearborn, MI DC ● Southfield, MI DC
    Wordpress Hosting, Magento Hosting & More!

Some yes and no, with me i use 1us cause i can get many for and use them cheaper.

Originally posted by Smokey82
    about that, are tower servers fine with some co-locations? Or do they only have those little servers that are the size of laptops.
    Depends on the provider, but most Colo is sold by space in a rack/cabinet - called U's (apprx 1.75 inches). A tower or even desktop takes up more room, and also typically needs a shelf since most clones are not rackmountable. Many name brand servers - not desktops - (Dell, IBM, HP etc) are either rack mountable or have conversion kits available.

Call and ask before assuming they'll take a tower/desktop.
    http://www.netwharf.com
    Your Safe Harbor in Cyberspace (tm)
    http://www.resellglobal.com
    Linux Reseller Hosting with Fantastico!

Look for Pricing first

Most companies who accomodate both Rack mount and tower servers will have clearly listed pricing for each. You will find that in most cases, tower servers will be more expensive to colocate as they are more cumbersome and take up more space. The majority of the time it will be double the cost or more to colocate a Tower server and sometimes the company will not even allow you to colocate a tower server.

Either way, it is your server and should be loaded with whatever you intend to run on it before you send it to them.

Not to mention the fact that in a lot of places you can use their equipment for not too much more per month.  

Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN sales@ceridius.com
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test