Cancled my domain, how long before it's available again?

I've canceled my domain name because I want to use a different registrar (I was originally using Melbourne IT), but it's still showing up as "registered" when I try to use it with another registrar. When I go to the site, all it says is:

HTTP/1.1 404
    Connection: close
    Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:13:40 GMT
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices: 12.0.0.4518
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    X-DIP: BLUIWSWBPB201

I'm guessing that it just takes a while for them to update their servers. How long does it usually take before the domain becomes available again?
    Last edited by fd9_; 08-26-2007 at 07:28 PM.

hmmm not sure how long it will take to be released.

Wouldn't it have been easier to transfer the domain from your old registrar to your new one?

Quote Originally Posted by markjut View Post
    hmmm not sure how long it will take to be released.

Wouldn't it have been easier to transfer the domain from your old registrar to your new one?
    I don't know, I thought it would have been easier just to cancel it. It's too late now to do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by fd9_ View Post
    I've canceled my domain name because I want to use a different registrar (I was originally using Melbourne IT), but it's still showing up as "registered" when I try to use it with another registrar. When I go to the site, all it says is:

HTTP/1.1 404
    Connection: close
    Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:13:40 GMT
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices: 12.0.0.4518
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
    X-DIP: BLUIWSWBPB201

I'm guessing that it just takes a while for them to update their servers. How long does it usually take before the domain becomes available again?

Quote Originally Posted by markjut View Post
    Yes.
    Since April 2001 Atlantis Services - Proudly servicing everyone's web hosting needs!
    Quote: There is no such thing as "The Best" web hosting provider, but rather only what is best for YOU

Are you sure you cancelled the domain registration, or was it your hosting account? Hosting and domain registration are totally separate things - the domain is most likely still registered. If so you may be able to administer it (change nameserver settings to a new host or get the transfer code / authinfo) through the MelbourneIT site.

Then try to do a domain transfer to the new registrar, not a new registration.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

If it was domain - it usually takes 30-45 days for the redemption period, there's no standard, but most are 30 days. Good luck in getting it back though, as they usually get grabbed up quick now

Although if it's still in redemption you should be able to get it back quickly.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    Are you sure you cancelled the domain registration, or was it your hosting account? Hosting and domain registration are totally separate things - the domain is most likely still registered. If so you may be able to administer it (change nameserver settings to a new host or get the transfer code / authinfo) through the MelbourneIT site.

Then try to do a domain transfer to the new registrar, not a new registration.
    I'm 100% positive that it was the domain name that I canceled, and not the hosting. And once the domain is canceled, I can't do anything with it.

If I go to my account with Melbourne IT, it clearly says that the domain name has indeed been canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by nickn View Post
    If it was domain - it usually takes 30-45 days for the redemption period, there's no standard, but most are 30 days. Good luck in getting it back though, as they usually get grabbed up quick now

Although if it's still in redemption you should be able to get it back quickly.
    30-45 days?! Crap, you got to be kidding me. Is there anything I can do at this point, or am I stuck? How would I go about getting it back?

I let an old .net domain expire earlier this month and this is the message in my registrar control panel

Domains which are not renewed 40 days after its expiry date will enter a period of redemption which ends 75 days after the expiry date. During the redemption period domains can be renewed however this will result in a £200 charge (plus VAT).
    This applies to .com, net, org, info & biz domains, at least with this registrar.

Going by that you could try your domain registrar and see if you can renew the domain if you can't wait for it to clear redemption and thats assuming you can buy it again once it is out of redemption.
    Of course you can't transfer it for at least 60 days once you do renew it.
    Last edited by Kintallon; 08-26-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Actually, most are 90 days before its re-released to be registered again. Once a domain expires, it is held for 30 days for you to renew at no extra charge. Once it goes past 30 days, there will be a $160 "redemption" fee + the standard renewal fee.

Not that you knew it at the time, but it is incredibly stupid to let a domain expire in hopes of grabbing it once its released. Chances are, even when its released in 90 days, it will be grabbed up by someone hoping to sell it back to you for $xxxx.

I suggest you contact the registrar immediately and renew it. Once its been renewed for 60 days, you can then transfer it to another registrar.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Wow, what a mess. It'll probably just be easier if I use .net instead of .com when I register the new one!

I'm not sure how you actually cancel a domain. You pay for a fixed period and can, if you choose, not extend that period. If that is what you have done, then it should be reversible.

Quote Originally Posted by fd9_ View Post
    I'm 100% positive that it was the domain name that I canceled, and not the hosting. And once the domain is canceled, I can't do anything with it.

If I go to my account with Melbourne IT, it clearly says that the domain name has indeed been canceled.
    The best thing you can do then is contact them and ask what your options are.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Its probably best to contact your current registrar to get the best answer. If the domain name is gone, check with the last registrar they would probably know best.
    IPOWERWEB, My Web Hosting Provider for OVER Four Years - IPOWERWEB