VPS with VMware?

I've searched the forums and have found that a few people have gotten virtual private servers working with VMware but the postings were scarce.

I just wanted to know what your experience with it has been, specifically as a VPS solution and if you recommend the GSX Server edition.

Also, if GSX seems to be the way to go, are there any ways to limit RAM and CPU usage as I only saw these features in the ESX Server edition which is probably going to be super expensive seeing as the GSX edition is over $3000. The VMware guys won't even list the price of the ESX Server edition

Another thing, I only see screenshots of GSX server running with X Windows on, is it possible to use just the command line to install the software and setup the virtual machines. I will be using VMware on top of Linux not Windows if I decide to purchase it.

Please don't tell me to get User Mode Linux, FreeVSD, Virtuozzo. I've already researched those and am just looking at other options. I personally like UML so far, just want to see what else is out there. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by JonL; 11-04-2002 at 01:45 AM.

I'm not sure exactly how to interpret this, but in the GSX EULA there is a portion:
    (v) use the Software on a service bureau or hosting basis to provide Remote Access Services connecting your customers to Guest Operating Systems.
    You can find the text here: http://www.vmware.com/download/gsx_eula.html

It appears to prohibit the use as a resold hosting environment.
    <!-- boo! -->

I guess I'll have to contact VMware about this because I have seen companies on this board use VMware for VPS solutions.

Thanks for the help

To confirm Scoot: I have talked to VMWare, and they only allow reselling using ESX version.

In terms of the pricing of ESX, if I remember correctly, you need to pay the amount of GSX upfront, plus agreeing to a $1000 per year support contract.

Peter

Scoot?

I'll bet they'd bargain a better deal if you were to buy multiple server licenses with support for ESX. Doesn't sound too bad really, considering the power. On the other hand, it seems that the technology is overkill as a VPS solution.
    <!-- boo! -->

Sorry Scott, sticky fingers.

Vmware is really overkill if you want to just provide commodity VPS. It has too much of an overhead (just run the workstation trial yourself), and doesn't give you enough VPS per server to make a profit.

Also, the ESX version runs on a custom OS, so the good side is, the performance is better. However, the downside is that you will need to make sure that your hardware is support, which further complicates the profit equation.

Peter

Yea, it seems like H S P is the better solution right now.

Too bad User Mode Linux is still fairly young.

Lightbulb ESX EULA Restrictions

Originally posted by ckpeter
    To confirm Scoot: I have talked to VMWare, and they only allow reselling using ESX version.

In terms of the pricing of ESX, if I remember correctly, you need to pay the amount of GSX upfront, plus agreeing to a $1000 per year support contract.

Peter
    Ummm... the ESX EULA has the exact same verbage:

http://www.vmware.com/download/esx_eula.html

(look under 'Restrictions')

What's unusual about this is that one of VMWare's partners - http://www.vmware.com/solutions/feat...olidation.html - (Protier: http://www.protier.com/) would violate this, as they use ESX server and resell it, in addition to selling a product that allows for other people to violate this section. Weird, eh?

Dan
    Dan Esparza
    CagedTornado web services

(I didn't take a look at the ESX EULA) I am not sure why that such restriction exists for ESX, however, I have talked to a sales rep from VMWare regarding the issue of reselling, and she told me that the only way to provide hosting through VMWare is the purchase the ESX version.

Perhaps they define reselling differently?

Peter

Re: VPS with VMware?

Originally posted by JonL

Please don't tell me to get User Mode Linux, FreeVSD, Virtuozzo. I've already researched those and am just looking at other options. I personally like UML so far, just want to see what else is out there. Thanks in advance
    whats wrong with virtuozzo?
    Avi B

From the sound of his post, it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with virtuozzo - he is just asking for "other options," so he doesn't want discussion on virtuozzo and other technologies that he has looked at.

Peter

gotcha
    Avi B

Yup, I've already read quite a lot of material regarding Virtuozzo, just seeing what else is out there and if they are viable.