Losing connection easier and easier every day (DSL problem)

Lately my connection has been going out easier and easier, with fewer and fewer open connections every day... A year ago I could easily have 3-400 connections open at once, and while it did slow my net down - it NEVER disconnected me.
    But now, it seems that even with 50 or 60 connections open at once, my modem or router resets. Occasionally Windows pops up saying I lost the connection and has the little tray animation, but most of the time it doesn't. When it does do this, I have to right click it, go into network setup, disable the device, then re-enable it in order to connect to the router again.

So, whats going on here? After over 3 years of service, have my modem and router started to fail me? If so, what should I look into getting? (I'm using swbell aDSL)

Currently I have:
    Speedstream 5260 Ethernet DSL modem Revision 1.7
    Linksys BEFSR44

I was thinking about getting a combination, a router (Linksys of course :p) with a built in dsl modem... But I have no idea where to start with that, as I've only had to buy a router once

Update:
    After several minutes, I have lost and regained connection (Most of the time, going unnnoticed) several times... It is getting VERY VERY BAD

Problem could be actually your ISP and not your equipment. With more and more people using the net for longer and with more bandwidth hungry applications, it could simply be the connection is too congested. Maybe check this with your ISP and also check what the contention ratio is.

I'm not so sure thats the problem... I've contacted them about this before and they said the line is fine, they have also, on numerous occasions, limited my line to prevent things like this from happening.

Also, all my modem's lights are on after I get disconnected, so I don't think its a line issue (Generally when it is, one of the lights is off)

ADSL max been switched on?

Don't think its the dsl iether, he said he gets LAN disconnected messages - its between the router and pc then.

Try bringing up LAN properties, if QOS packet scheduler is enabled uncheck it, see if that helps. If not try replacing your ethernet cord. If the problem still exists it could be the ethernet card, the router and even software related.

Could be your router or modem I know I have seen both fail a lot quicker then 3 years. It is surprising but I know some people that replace there routers and modems every year. Either they stop working or the power surge gets them. I suggest kill the router and just use the modem and see if that fixes it. If not then you know it is not your router or modem. Try your NIC next if still same then it is all ISP related.

Well I spent over 30 minutes getting a new line down to my main computer and hooked it up to my motherboard rather than a PCI card... Hopefully this will work.
    But if it doesn't, does anyone have advice for a new modem? Company wise

Okay, well after about 12 hours of maxxing out the number of connections (Running Shareaza on all networks), I was disconnected once.

I'm pretty sure this is a good thing, but I really want to know... If my previous problem was because of my PCI card / ethernet cable... Why is it that my modem had to be turned off then back on most of the time?

Losing connection easier and easier every day
    Have you tried looking under the couch?
    Rob Greenwood
    RedHat Certified, Unix Consultant
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/bilco105

Is your aDSL modem equipped with a WiFi antenna? If yes, it may so happen that someone is abusing your wireless connection.

Nah, its wired - not a big fan of wireless (And I got the modem before wireless was really... An option :p)

For the love of god.. Its gotten worse then it was before - its not my ethernet cable, or my card... And I really don't think its the router.
    Any tips on a new modem?

And its still getting worse
    I can't seem to find any place that sells aDSL modems that aren't wireless, does anyone know of any place online that does?

I supported DSL for 2 years, it could very well be line noise.

Are you really sure your physical line is ok? That model of Speedstream is a DMT, so it's probably a shared line, right (with voice)?

This is going to sound dumb, but unplug all your phones and anything else on the phoneline besides the Speedstream. Also the Speedstreams usually have a feature to check the signal strength, measured in decibels. Anything below 8dB downstream causes connection problems, packet loss, et cetera.

And, no offense to the people here, but you'd be better off posting this on DSL Reports or calling your ISP.
    "It's hard to dance if you just lost your wallet. Whoa! Where's my wallet? But, hey this song is funky." - Mitch Hedberg

Theres no line noise, its on its own dedicated line (They laid a brand new line meant solely for my DSL), so its not tied into any phones, or anything like that... I've also had swbell come out and check the line both physically and with their diagnostic programs - theres nothing wrong with the line itself.

I didn't post this on dslreports because I don't like how their forums are laid out, however I guess I'm going to have to

Heating problem?

I have a router that does that, it used to worked fine with 3 connecting lines, then I linked it to another router and now it heat up to the point where I lose connection once every 2 days or so unless I unplug it and let it cool off. Before losing connection, I usually experience dropped connection and slow response from the network.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.