Thread: Win2K server

We are getting today our dedicated win2K server, that comes only with the OS installed on it.

Can you please sugsset me what should i install on it before hosting any sites on it ?

And what softwares best to use(and not expensive)for mail,ftp,web,stats,databases etc..?

Thank's !
    Danny Shtainberg
    Sites Depot Ltd (InterVision)
    URL: http://www.sitesdepot.com

Can you please sugsset me what should i install on it before hosting any sites on it ?
    A secure and stable OS?

dave

While I myself am partial to linux/unix too win2k is very stable any more it will stay up just as long as any linux box.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Re: dave

Originally posted by cbaker17
    While I myself am partial to linux/unix too win2k is very stable any more it will stay up just as long as any linux box.
    I think Linux would take that Pepsi challenge anyday my friend

Mediahouse.com statistics. Good value for money in comparison to WebTrends. And in my opinion its the best statistics package available for any website.

A virus checker. Norton Anti-Virus maybe.

FTP and WWW will be taking care by IIS. Just open the console manager, snap them in, and configure.

There is also an SMTP server included. Again just open the console manager, snap them in, and configure it (connections from local IP only, so perl/asp/scripts can send mail). I recommend running the POP3 on a different server, since there are no *worthwhile* free POP3 servers for NT, and Qmail/Sendmail is generally more reliable.

While, I personally am against the usage of Windows 2000, I did give it a try myself (I purchased a new HDD to install it, thank god).

I personally was unable to attain a fully stable Windows 2000 machine; however, it may of been because of the hardware combination I was utilizing.

I would suggest ensuring your security policies are setup to make sure your machine is completely locked off except for what you want it to be accessable for. Also, ensure you have virus detection software installed and functioning(preferably setup to update itself as well).

Further, for POP3 and SMTP, after seeing the difficulty I saw many colocation customers have at my previous workplace, I would suggest running these services on a seperate machine(or two seperate machines would be better). Whether these machines be Windows-based or *NIX-based, does not matter, this suggestion is simply due to the potential traffic which these services generate and in order to ensure that your website traffic is degraded, it is just best to keep these two sets of services seperate.

---
    Rory

I have the same experience as Rory, I attempted to install a Win2K server (as a web/ftp/mail server) for a local high school, the damm thing drove me nust for over 1 week, I ended up by formatting the HD and install Red Hat.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

UCK! Redhat, that's even worse!

lol.. Sorry, I'm a FreeBSD advocate myself...

good to see you

Good to see you rory

Weve never had problems with WIn2k but we always use namebrand hardware made for win2k drivers, I know if you use any generic hardware at all you will for sure run into problems.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Good to see you to Charles.

Yeah, that's the big problem with Windows 2000, the limited drivers available...

As I said, I am not a big Windows person... Some people are, and have great success with it though.

---
    Rory

AT home I run a Dual 866, all brand Name, from a PIIIDM3 (supermicro) to E&S Tornado 3K video cards, all brand name, all win2k certefied, etc etc .. it still crashed at least once a day
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

At home I run 2 Windows 98 machines(well, I don't, but I do have other people in my household), and 6 machines running FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Debian Linux. The Windows 98 machines have a terrible track record, but all my other machines stay up a good 80-90 days before I need to reboot them.

In case you are wondering, my machines do not have light loads on them. They are all my personal DNS servers, Web Servers and Mail Servers(I have to put that 3.2Mbps of bandwidth to use! )

---
    Rory

Hehe

I use a PIII500 as the Linux box, that one is wonderfull, on the Dual 866 I use Softimage XSI, and that sucker drains every single resource I have on the machine and won't crash, it's the little things like IE or other small stuff that crashed the damm machine (damm windows)
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine