Angry

Alright, those of you who want to suck up... errr.... help out, then pay attention.

I'm currently constructing a new template of sorts for my new upcoming site. Problem is, even though HTML is all fine and it looks smashing on my DreamWeaver, IE 5.01 has a lovely whitespace problem down below my main table, and Netsh*t 4.75 simply refuses to render some of my coloured cell background (specifically where you see black cells on the corners of the table instead of coloured cells).

If anyone can assist in suggesting how I can fix them, I would be muchos appreciative.

Btw, the URL you'd be looking for is http://www.wokadoo.com/test4.htm

Thanks in advance.
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Lightbulb Don't worry..... But NN help still required

I found out my problem - silly me. With IE, I set one of the height attribute waaayyyyyyyyy too high, which dragged the rest of the table down.

However, the blooming Netsheep still won't render my page properly. Any eagle eyes out there?

[Edited by BC on 10-23-2000 at 12:55 AM]

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Exclamation NN vs IE

BC, it would be difficult getting tables to display in NN vs IE in exactly the same way.

I have always noticed a spacing problem between the two, especially when you use percentage instead of pixels for sizing.

However, the black cells (corners) of the tables actually look kinda nice !!!! So do the little white spaces at the edges of the color bars !!!!

So, in this case, you may want to reconsider fixing this problem in the first place. In design, sometimes it is better to fix problems not technically, but by adding more such problems to other areas of the design in order to create an aesthetic visual match !!!!! Think about it !!!!!

Learner

Cool

That wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear, Learner. LOL!

In all seriousness, although I know precisely what you're suggesting, purely from a design perspective (biased that I am), I don't like the black boxes on the corner, because I'm pretty sure they'll detract from the overall site once I put in all the content, JScript, banners etc. and what not. Right now, with all the empty space inside it may seem unusally OK, but once all the text goes in and pictures and what not, then those black squares will detract badly.

That said, my real problem is, why aren't the TD bgcolors working properly when the code is precisely correct, I've done it before and other sites are OK, but mine aren't? It couldn't possibly be the server....... Or could it?

Talking Okie... Okie... !!!!!!

I knew you didn't want to hear that... but nevertheless I wanted you to hear that... LOL !!!!

Anyway, this problem JUST CANNOT be a server problem !!!!

Hang on in there for a little while, let me see if I can help you out !!!! I will post again in about half an hour if I succeed in coming up with a solution.

Learner

BC

i emailed you about this, but i'll post it here incase you check this before your mail. i fixed your problem. the colors not showing up was easy. whenever you have a cell that has nothing in it, you have to put a <br> code in it so that netscape will think something is there. the white space on the bottom is due to the fact that the table that those bottom cells are in has to be set to cellspacing=0.

i have the code with those corrections if you want it. i'll hold it hostage until you email me for it. or you can just make the changes like i said up there. it worked fine for me in netscape after that.

cheers.

Cool Bugger!

I knew it was something to do with requiring an <&nbsp> or <br> in it, but I completely forgot to add it.

Thank you thank you thank you! You'll see a link to your site once I finish everything.... (hmm, we need a new smiley for 'kissing a lady's hand')

Thanks also to Learner who took time out to try and figure out what was wrong.

kissing butt

works the same!

once i get everything reset up at my new host i'll ask for my site to be reviewed. it is only a happy little personal place for me to be a goof, but yanno.

Exclamation The lady's method is better than mine !!!

Sorry BC for not being able to post earlier as my ISP was giving me dial up problems.

I had solved the problem too, but in a totally different way !!! LOL !!!

Guess Jonelin's method was more professional... i had infact added little dots in the cells not showing up. made them real small -2 size... LOL !!!!! and colored them uo to match the cells bg color !!! LOL !!! Didn't guess that <br> would work instead !!!! Thanks Jonelin, you taught me something too

Regarding the vertical images on the left and right, I solved the problem by increasing the height !!! here again, i think Jonelin's method was more professional !!!

Anyway, i have uploaded the page up at my stie for you to see...

My not-so-efficient solution !!!

Learner

i always say...

whatever works!

Smile and i always say

whatever works better...

works better !!!!!

but practicality says something else...

it says that whatever works best... works best !!!!!!

so Jonelin, your solution was simply the best way to go about solving BC's problem

Now, stretching images to fit tables is ok for the left and right fills BC made... but definitely not right for the top and bottome fills... because the former had only plain colors with right angles only. however, the latter had a diagonal line running though the middle which would only get distorted when stretched.

So BC, you may want to redo those top and bottom images... the diagonal line in the middle, that is. shorten the top and bottom images into one little image using web safe colors containing just the diagonal line portion.

then you could have two cells on either side just filled with the same bgcolor matching your diagonal graphic. this would save a few bytes each time a page is loaded, since such a long image isn't really necessary here.

also, by the same reasoning, you really do not need to have those long vertical image fills as well since it is just an oblong image with flat colors. just do it with table cells using web safe colors. you save on bytes again !!!!!

but, however, for the same of practicality, you just may want to create 2 X 2 pixel gifs of each color instead, for the tables background image to replace the table bgcolor. that is the smallest recommended gif size you could create if you decide to.

1 X 1 pixel gifs do not render very well in older versions of IE.

Hope this helps you to discover the "best" way in the end... because the best way works best

Learner

Thumbs up

Thanks you two (Learner and Jonelin).

Elledan over at SitePoint reminded me of the old 1X1 or 4X4 transparent pixel spacer trick which I had completely forgotten about (due to having worked with some old corporate sites for too long - yikes), so I'll be using them to stretch out and define the borders.

As for the top/bottom cells, I actually thought about that and did some calculations, before I concluded that the loading of a single image would probably be offset by the loading/rendering of the TD cells (considering the strain that it does put on the browser). But yeah, I'll fiddle around with both and see how I go. I'll probably go with what Learner said.

However, I should add that table backgrounds don't work very well at all in Netscape (technically they're not supported at all), which is why I rely on TD bgcolors.

Thanks again.