nameserver problems

I registered a domain say xxxx on some web hosting site.
    Later I registered a hosting package on another host which also gave me a free domain. say yyyy.

Now I have two domains and one host.

What I wanted to do was to direct both domains to the same space/content.

So I uploaded the files to the new host and the domain I registered with them works fine.
    I updated my old domain's nameservers with the nameserver's of my new domain+host.

I dont know if that is how it works, cuz my old domain still doesnt point to where I want it to.

Somebody told me it takes 24 hrs before nameservers are updated. Its already been around 20 hrs since I changed my nameservers, so please tell me if I am doing anything worng, and if yes what way can I get both domains to point to teh same place.

Thanx

I think everything is OK.. you just need to park your old domain.

Please refer your hosting control panel to do that.

hmm....

ok now what It seems is that my new hosting plan didnt include any parked domains( it shows 0 / 0 parked domains in the cpanel). So does that mean that it wont do so even if i did the nameservers thing?, i.e is the parking thing necessary?

well... you may then check whether your old domain registrar allow you to do domain forwarding. If yes then you can use that. If not there are few free of cost domain forwarding services are here like mydomain.com you may also check out that.

Your company should allow you to add the domain names to your account. You should contact them regarding that.

Nameserver update can take up to 72 hours.

You can also use redirection option from your Registrar.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Originally posted by maxo
    Your company should allow you to add the domain names to your account. You should contact them regarding that.
    But there are lots of web hosting providers are around who donot allow / offer extra domains to park to a single account. So in that case the problem remains and need to look for any solution like you said domain redirecing at Registrar end or as i said about some thirparty service provider.

a.m

thx

thanks for teh replies... i will check out teh suggestions and will tell you how it went...

The Redirection will be the easiest way I presume.

brokenshard,

Which Registrar do you use?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I had an account in ixwebhosting dot com which included a hosting package + a domain name. I didnt like it so I used their money back thing and I got refunded except for the domain. And meanwhile I had already registered with another host + domain name. So now I am stuck with two domain names, one host and the old ixwebhosting domain not working till now ( it still shows that teh account has been suspended). I used its control panel and changed the nameservers to the ones that my new host gave...

I am pretty new to all this so am a little lost... ...

Who is your old domain's Registrar?

a.m

hmm since I am new to this and I bought a package from ixwebhosting which included the domain name, I dont know my registrar.
    So I ran a whois for my old domain and it says,

Registrar: TUCOWS INC.

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.

You will need to contact ixwebhosting to transfer the domain into your name.

ok, i got things working for now using zoneedit as a url forwarder with cloaking. Now another thing thats a little strange is that though the domain name works with www, it doesnt work if I write teh domain without www. why is that?

all is working fine after using zoneedit. thank you all for the help