Migrating from VPS to Webhost.. but in stages..

I want to move to a webhost as I really don't need a VPS like I'm using. I only have about 15 GB of pictures, 10 mailboxes and 3 websites with very little traffic. I don't like having to manage the security on the VPS, as I've been hacked a couple of times already... I just don't know enough about it.

So - I want to move, but my VPS is my DNS server too. I'm going to eventually get rid of it and use the basic webhost dns services, but not quite right away. Is it possible to sign up with a webhosting service... and use their services for my main domain, but keep the dns server for a month or two (which, the ns1 and ns2 are the same domain?)

so...
    mail accounts @domain1.com will be hosted on webhost services
    websites for @domain1.com will be hosted on webhost services
    Primary DNS server ns1.domain1.com still on vps

I'm hosting some folks domains for them on this dns server and I don't want to impact those until I can transfer those domains out.

Rob

Yes, completely possible.

You'll just need to create the A records, CNAME, etc... on your DNS server to point to your webhost. Your new webhost should be able to help you with this.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Yeah that's definitely possible and easy to do. Also if you get cPanel hosting that allows you to use the Advanced DNS Zone editor you should be able to setup additional A entries for the other sites you run DNS for or even continue to host them as add-on domains to your account.
    BitronicTech Affordable Hosting and VPS Since 2007. Check out my Blog.
    99.99% Uptime Guarantee. 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. 24/7/365 Support.
    cPanel/WHM - CloudLinux - Varnish - CloudFlare - Softaculous - Daily Shared Hosting Backups

ok good, so I don't need to redirect my domain to their nameservers... i remember in the past, some hosting companies used to disable your account if the domain wasn't pointing to their nameservers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenihan View Post
    ok good, so I don't need to redirect my domain to their nameservers... i remember in the past, some hosting companies used to disable your account if the domain wasn't pointing to their nameservers.
    No, you don't need to use the host nameservers, you could continue to use your own nameservers.

I would not use a host if they suspended your account for not pointing to their nameservers.
    bihira.com | 10+ Years of Web Hosting Experience!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    cPanel | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Softaculous
    Find us on facebook and follow us on twitter @bihira

Why would you like to keep your DNS separate?
    Wouldn't it be easier to just move domain by domain together with the DNS system ?

Otherwise, if you don't like to do it that way, you can always modify the DNS records to reflect the new web hosts, but you are generating yourself some extra workload to process.
    Clouvider Limited; Leading USA & Europe Cloud Hosting Solution Provider
    Web hosting in Cloud | VPS servers in 8 Datacenters with Intel Xeon and AMD Epyc CPUs | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services
    100% Uptime Guarantee | Fully Redundant | 24/7 Technical Support

i do plan on moving everything eventually.. just wanted to move all my mail and photos while waiting for the other domain owners to change their settings on their registrar, and I have a few to transfer out completely.

I see. If your new provider is migrating from cPanel to cPanel using root password (which is current not recommended by cPanel), they may be able to get the DNS records changed on your VPS automatically. That's risky for them though, but it's worth asking. It may save you soem work, especially if you have a significant number of domain on that server.

Are you sure though that you want to migrate from VPS to shared? Maybe a good sysadmin that could secure your server would be a better option?
    Clouvider Limited; Leading USA & Europe Cloud Hosting Solution Provider
    Web hosting in Cloud | VPS servers in 8 Datacenters with Intel Xeon and AMD Epyc CPUs | Private Cloud | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | Managed Services
    100% Uptime Guarantee | Fully Redundant | 24/7 Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by Clouvider View Post
    Are you sure though that you want to migrate from VPS to shared? Maybe a good sysadmin that could secure your server would be a better option?
    I am guessing a reseller account would save him/her a lot of headache. Looking for a good sysadmin is another hurdle.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Very Much possible, Getting Yourself A reseller account is the best thing to do. Most of hosting provider are willing to help you with the migration at no extra fees so better you talk to your host on this, Its a simple straight forward Job
    Crypracks.com | Premium Bare Metal Servers at Budget
    Powerful Dedicated Servers and VPS servers | Instant Setup
    Quote ? - Sales @ Crypracks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lenihan View Post
    I want to move to a webhost as I really don't need a VPS like I'm using ... as I've been hacked a couple of times already... I just don't know enough about it.

Rob
    Even if you move to a webhost, if the security issues lies inside your webpages (like insecured php scripts/upload directories/etc) you will still have the same problems. So, I'd recommend to find that security breaches also before moving, or you might hit the same issues again.

I don't have any custom websites.. just wordpress and coppermine.. I'm not even copying the files over, just the database and installing the applications through their scripts. I have so little on the VPS now