value of shared @ non shared

i dont get it, with shared (like 1and1) you get free ssl and 5 free domain names

why dont folks who offer dedicated offer such incentives? we might be swayed to pay more per month if it was more all inclusive

Quote Originally Posted by bobmane View Post
    i dont get it, with shared (like 1and1) you get free ssl and 5 free domain names

why dont folks who offer dedicated offer such incentives? we might be swayed to pay more per month if it was more all inclusive
    Sometimes you can save more if purchasing like the domain names and SSL from other providers. When it comes down we have clients that will not receive our free domain pay monthly for our shared services and purchase the domain elsewhere, same with our SSL certificates. Its a way that people look at saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by GigeWeb View Post
    Sometimes you can save more if purchasing like the domain names and SSL from other providers. When it comes down we have clients that will not receive our free domain pay monthly for our shared services and purchase the domain elsewhere, same with our SSL certificates. Its a way that people look at saving money.
    Provider does not know the purpose of the dedicated server like the shared customer. Plus there may be other incentives like control panel software, IP addresses, etc that are more applicable to the dedicated server customer
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by bobmane View Post

Shared hosting is marketed more towards the person who wants it all included (and it's usually just built into the price of the plan over a year or more) where as dedicated services are generally marketed towards those who want to do things on their own and don't really need included domains and SSL certificates etc...
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

If you see the provider offering these free incentives on their shared hosting, you can ask them to add it to your dedicated server as well I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind it

There is no comparison between shared and dedicated. Thats like comparing an ice cube from your freezer and a glacier in the ocean.

Shared = very limited resources, RAM, CPU, Actual Disk Space, Actual Bandwidth, etc.
    Dedicated = You have full access to all the system resources and you can keep it pegged at 100% all day 24/7/265 and nobody will say anything, because it's all yours.

Here is a very general performance/control/bandwidth/storage/feature/raw power comparison. Again, very general...
    http://rawrgv.com/?v=resources.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTrike View Post
    There is no comparison between shared and dedicated. Thats like comparing an ice cube from your freezer and a glacier in the ocean.

Shared = very limited resources, RAM, CPU, Actual Disk Space, Actual Bandwidth, etc.
    Dedicated = You have full access to all the system resources and you can keep it pegged at 100% all day 24/7/265 and nobody will say anything, because it's all yours.

Here is a very general performance/control/bandwidth/storage/feature/raw power comparison. Again, very general...
    http://rawrgv.com/?v=resources.jpg
    Albeit very true, it has very little to do with why a provider would not offer any sort of incentives with their dedicated server offerings like they do their shared hosting offerings
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    Albeit very true, it has very little to do with why a provider would not offer any sort of incentives with their dedicated server offerings like they do their shared hosting offerings
    I only brought it to light, because if somebody is looking for a dedicated box. Then chooses a shared plan over said dedicated because it has free domains, ssl, etc. Then they are not properly keen on the differences.

Yes, dedicated providers 'could' offer those things, but dedicated providers offer dedicated solutions generally so they don't have to mess with those things. Another generalization is that people who are getting a dedicated box would generally want to get and manage their own domains, ssl, etc. Otherwise what business do they have on a dedicated box.

That being said, fully managed server companies should be encouraged to offer such things. As that's not a bad marketing idea at all from a managed standpoint. They are already offering to dig into everything on the server anyway. So why not the really small stuff as well, be a one place do all sort of thing for people who don't want to mess with anything.

I only brought it to light, because if somebody is looking for a dedicated box. Then chooses a shared plan over said dedicated because it has free domains, ssl, etc. Then they are not properly keen on the differences.
    I realize this as well - but they didn't ask if they should choose shared over dedicated to get the free domain and IP but asked why it was offered with shared and not dedicated You're going off on a tangent.

Yes, dedicated providers 'could' offer those things, but dedicated providers offer dedicated solutions generally so they don't have to mess with those things. Another generalization is that people who are getting a dedicated box would generally want to get and manage their own domains, ssl, etc. Otherwise what business do they have on a dedicated box.
    As I said in my very first reply on the thread

That being said, fully managed server companies should be encouraged to offer such things. As that's not a bad marketing idea at all from a managed standpoint. They are already offering to dig into everything on the server anyway. So why not the really small stuff as well, be a one place do all sort of thing for people who don't want to mess with anything.
    Not going to argue with you there either

Unsubscribe

Unsubscribe
    Just some friendly civil discussion - nothing wrong with that!

Generally dedicated providers don't provide such incentives cause its not cost effective. Sure I can jack up a server $5 a month and give you a free domain if you pay yearly, but you as a customer would most likely rather I don't give you incentives as such and keep the prices low.

If you were more after the free domain though I'm sure there are server providers who do it, I think 10tb.com has something like this.
    Nothing here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt - HostMist View Post
    Generally dedicated providers don't provide such incentives cause its not cost effective. Sure I can jack up a server $5 a month and give you a free domain if you pay yearly, but you as a customer would most likely rather I don't give you incentives as such and keep the prices low.

If you were more after the free domain though I'm sure there are server providers who do it, I think 10tb.com has something like this.
    Good point as well - most customers won't order a Dedicated Server for an entire year up front just to get a free domain (it's just not worth it)