Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Name.com sucks, Anyone can recommend me a new domain registration company?

I cannot access my Name.com account, I have 100+ domains,

They want to check my personal IDs..

I do not think they have right to check my ID

Please recommend me a new domain registration company.

Thanks

Hi ,
    Check out Godaddy.com awesome deals and great support!

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin|UNIT View Post
    Hi ,
    Check our Godaddy.com awesome deals and great support!
    Godaddy sucks too (

Quote Originally Posted by hyp959 View Post
    Godaddy sucks too (
    .. Ok . Than try NameCheap.com or 1&1 .

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin|UNIT View Post
    .. Ok . Than try NameCheap.com or 1&1 .
    Another for namecheap top service and the support is always about even for domain problems

thanks, Just signed up an namecheap account

Yeah they suck because they are trying to protect their users. Damn them for caring about your security. Idiots they are >:|

PS: They have the right
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    Yeah they suck because they are trying to protect their users. Damn them for caring about your security. Idiots they are >:|

PS: They have the right

At least they send me some notice, Now I even can't change DNS settings.

Try Namecheap ? They have great support.

At least they send me some notice, Now I even can't change DNS settings.
    Your account being locked keeps you from doing anything to those domain names. Unfortunately, that account will stay locked unless you...well...give a copy of your ID to Name.com.

Is that Name.com account a new one? If yes, then that likely triggered Name.com's flags for...possible fraud.

Depending on how you signed up (i.e. VPN or proxy), that might create the same issue at NameCheap or whoever registrar at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Z View Post
    Your account being locked keeps you from doing anything to those domain names. Unfortunately, that account will stay locked unless you...well...give a copy of your ID to Name.com.

Is that Name.com account a new one? If yes, then that likely triggered Name.com's flags for...possible fraud.

Depending on how you signed up (i.e. VPN or proxy), that might create the same issue at NameCheap or whoever registrar at some point.

My name.com account was created in 2009..

My name.com account was created in 2009..
    Then I guess how you recently accessed your account caused this issue you posted. For example: if you registered that account in 2009 in Canada and recently accessed it in maybe Turkey, then that might cause Name.com to lock your account against possible fraud.

(Alas, only Name.com can specifically tell you why -- which they probably won't.)

Even if you use a new registrar, you won't be able to transfer your domain names to them from Name.com as long as your account stays locked. You'll have to, alas, work with them to remove that lock.

Personally, I found them reasonable based on discussions with them on a few things and my past registrar work. I've been using them since then.

I had to send them a photocopy of my Passport to get an account unlocked! All domains moved into enom etc

Quote Originally Posted by webdime View Post
    I had to send them a photocopy of my Passport to get an account unlocked! All domains moved into enom etc
    I don't get it. This is the equivalent of a child laying on the ground in a store and throwing a temper tantrum over something ridiculous. Name.com is protecting your account. They're not asking you to snail mail them a vial of blood. Anyone with a smartphone, scanner, ipod, camera, fax ect can make a copy of their ID and send it in.

Had your account been taken you'd just be making a thread bashing them for not protecting accounts. You've been a customer for five years and walking over something like this...pathetic really.
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    I don't get it. This is the equivalent of a child laying on the ground in a store and throwing a temper tantrum over something ridiculous. Name.com is protecting your account. They're not asking you to snail mail them a vial of blood. Anyone with a smartphone, scanner, ipod, camera, fax ect can make a copy of their ID and send it in.
    But some people don't like sharing their ID's like me. You never know if their systems are going to get breached and what confidential information they could contain. I'd want them to call me up to authenticate me instead of the ID.
    Sapatana.eu ILoveBilling
    120Gbps DDoS Protection on Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, XEN Windows and Linux VPS, Domains, SSL Certificates
    PayPal | BitPay (BitCoin) | UK Bank Transfer | International Bank Transfer

Quote Originally Posted by S-Jack View Post
    But some people don't like sharing their ID's like me. You never know if their systems are going to get breached and what confidential information they could contain. I'd want them to call me up to authenticate me instead of the ID.
    If somebody has your account, they have all the information in your account. Most people don't even put a real telephone number on their account. Even if they did, yeah call the number. The person confirms the info is correct. That solves nothing. Maybe the hacker changed the number on file. Maybe the hacker didn't change the number on file and they do get ahold of you. You confirm all the info on the account. How do they know you are still the account owner?

You can blank out most info on a ID and send it in. It still has less information than a facebook profile. If the server is breached; your name, address, telephone and date of birth is all on file.

If you fax it in, they destroy it. The same is done for digital copies. I know I know *nothing* digital is ever really completely destroyed; but still.
    █ █ █

Why do they require it from you? Did you give them any reason? I have a few domains on name.com and that's why it's so important to me.

Thanks

Name.com is one of the greatest domain providers out there and yes they have the right to ask for your ID.
    HostNurse.com - We Nurse & Babysit Your Websites!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    24/7 Support | cPanel | Softaculous | SEO Tools | RVSiteBuilder & More.

http://www.internetbs.net/

they are cheap domain provider
    Last edited by Postbox; 04-21-2014 at 07:43 AM.

I've used NameCheap for years and they are by far the best for domain registrations.
    ExtraVM - DDoS Protected NVMe VPS, Website Hosting, & Game Servers
    Dallas, TX | Miami, FL | Los Angeles, CA | Piscataway, NJ | Amsterdam, NL | Singapore | Tokyo, JP

i moved to name.com a few months ago and im happy with them so far ...
    making me worried to read such stories, but i wouldnt have a problem sending them my id if they have a case to proof my account ...

Quote Originally Posted by HostNurse View Post
    Name.com is one of the greatest domain providers out there...
    No they're not.
    They are the worst among the best.
    They practice DNS squatting.
    I know because I have a domain there.
    Last edited by Postbox; 04-21-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_A View Post
    I've used NameCheap for years and they are by far the best for domain registrations.
    What he said. Namecheap.com is by far the best company I've used for domain name registrations/renewals - cannot say enough good things about them.

Thanks
    With all due respect to the OP and what he posted, I've never ONCE come across a case where the domain name registrar wants to see a copy of valid ID's - most of the time they either send you an email at your registered email address and/or send you a confirmation code of sorts on your registered mobile number - this is the first time I've heard of something like this happening.

I'm curious to know the exact circumstances here i.e. why is the registrar asking for your "ID" (in this case your passport)?

Personally, I probably wouldn't be comfortable giving out my passport details either (I sure wasn't when elance asked for those details - needless to say that didn't go down too well) on the Internet, but again, depends on the exact situation. . .

Anyway, I hope you get the issue resolved - and I highly suggest namecheap.com - excellent customer service, a simple, easy to use interface, decent functionality - can't expect more. . .

Quote Originally Posted by FastandFurious View Post
    With all due respect to the OP and what he posted, I've never ONCE come across a case where the domain name registrar wants to see a copy of valid ID's - most of the time they either send you an email at your registered email address and/or send you a confirmation code of sorts on your registered mobile number - this is the first time I've heard of something like this happening.

I'm curious to know the exact circumstances here i.e. why is the registrar asking for your "ID" (in this case your passport)?

Personally, I probably wouldn't be comfortable giving out my passport details either (I sure wasn't when elance asked for those details - needless to say that didn't go down too well) on the Internet, but again, depends on the exact situation. . .
    Generally, a registrar will ask for an ID copy to validate against possible fraud. That especially happens if the person's log-in details (i.e. IP address from, say, Turkey) don't match that of the account (i.e. Canada).

(As mentioned earlier, a registrar might not say "fraud" because that gives the person the impression of being accused.)

Registrars such as Name.com, Go Daddy, and even NameCheap have been asking for ID of numerous people for years. If anything, they won't ask that just because.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast