Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Plesk better than cPanel?

I have heard from some of my friends that Plesk is better than cPanel.. So, is it really so?? If yes,, than what features makes Plesk better than cPanel???

Thanks for taking your time to read my post!

Quote Originally Posted by HelddTheBlog View Post
    I have heard from some of my friends that Plesk is better than cPanel.. So, is it really so?? If yes,, than what features makes Plesk better than cPanel???

Honestly it's a matter of preference, really. They are pretty close when you compare them feature for feature. I would argue that you get a bit better value for your money going with something like cPanel or InterWorx.

I don't think you could call Plesk or even cPanel better than one or other. You'd have to decide specifically what you're looking for in a panel and then base your decision on your personal evaluation of the features you find most important.

I think better in pricing, most famous is Cpanel
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

That's strictly preference talking, because what these frontends do are all the same -- they're frontends so people don't have to mess with the command line.

I preferred H-Sphere (what ever happened to it?) at the time. Moved to cPanel which at the time was buggy. And now it's almost exclusively cPanel being offered to anyone but those going with dedicateds.

People will find a frontend they prefer and will stick with it, and like *nix, they come in all flavors.

its same.... but everyone have their own opinion so just try it to see it
    Enjoy life today, because yesterday is gone, and tomorrow is never promised.

As said above, it's matter of preference - both will do the job, but on different way.

I for one can tell that Plesk was an absolute nightmare for me when I decided to try it a couple of years ago.

I didn't like at all its structure, the way it performs some operations, such as creating database, and I specifically didn't like the way it handles subdomains - in cPanel, each subdomain is just a subdirectory located within home directory, so subdomain.domain.com automatically redirects to domain.com/subdomain; but in Plesk, subdomains are separate entities within root directory, and I simply didn't like it. Their ChMod facility was so confusing that I managed to lock my account twice, so hosting provider had to unlock me. I have no proof for that, but I also had impression that it was much slower than cPanel. After half of year I decided I had enough of it and escaped back to cPanel. I will use Plesk again only if someone pays me well to do that horrendous job; but me to pay for using it? Never again!

But it's maybe only me, someone else can perfectly live with that; try and you'll see.

It totally depends on your requirements & the system you want in place for your company. If the engineers have expertise in cPanel, you should consider to go with cPanel. Plesk is widely used on Windows OS where as on Linux cPanel is used.

I really like cPanel more for the ease of navigation. Also it is easier to train fresh staff for. If this is what your requirement is. Go for cPanel.

BTW. Your sharing your exact requirements may give you better answers outta here,

I like cPanel and its interface, the cPanel is more user-friendly.

Have been using cPanel for years, and less than a month ago I got a license for plesk to test it out on a machine.

Few things I like about Plesk:
    - Comes with per-website PHP settings and versions out of the box, this is super cool, since it allows me to use fastcgi for some sites, and php-fpm for others.
    - Nginx reverse proxy out of the box
    - That subdomains is not a subfolder of the primary domain. This gives me less headache in the file structure when moving sites around.

What I don't like:
    - The way you customize the vhosts for each site
    - The fact that you rely fully on the repos (This is good and bad at same time).
    - That MySQL is loaded from the remi repository if you first enabled it, this causes GRANT permissions on mysql to be ****ed, since remi repository is using a wrong permission schema in MySQL.
    - No Backup MX feature for mail servers like you have in cPanel - but with some knowledge setting up your own relay server, then it's not that bad.

Other than that, there's just things I find really odd in Plesk compared to cPanel, and I find cPanel way more user friendly than plesk, and I'll recommend cPanel at any time.

But both products is good, and has some nice features that each other could benefit from.

The best for you to know is to try both.

When it comes to shared hosting business, cPanel is all the way. This, I recommend.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

There are very limited hosts which uses cpanel alone, unless they limit themselves to linux hosting alone. The case is different when you wish to offer windows hosting plans as well to your customers. Plesk is an obvious choice them . Parallels as a company offers more than just hosting panels, but also scalable cloud solutions as well. So it depends on what you wish to offer your customers.

Having for years as Plesk as CPanel hosting, I prefer Plesk for more professional and comfort environment. It provides more features than CPanel, it's convenient for hosting providers.

If you want just to run your small PHP site in Internet, it's no essential difference. It's easier to perform software updates on Plesk server. Plesk 11.5 seems to be more secure. Plesk 12 will prevent from outgoing spam.

Plesk better than cPanel? No way.
    Prashant T.

Don't run after Success. Run after Excellence and Success will soon follow.

Plesk 12 better than all other panels

In my opinion most of the people who posted a negative or lukewarm review of Plesk are referring to versions prior to 12. Version 12 is a whole new rethink and is beautiful. For those who say it's just a panel and it's simply for end-users to avoid command-line have to realize that if their customers understood command-line then they would not be a customer.

Plesk Panel 12 is innovative and the layout is very intuitive compared to other panels (Cpanel, ZPanel, ISPConfig, Kloxo, & etc...). One of Plesk selling points is that both server administration and user/re-seller administration is performed from the same front-end as apposed to cpanel which uses cpanel itself for users and whm for server.

CPanel in my opinion seems pretty stagnant in terms of UI. Yes the new paper lanterns theme is very welcoming but it's still just a skin.

Another big thing for me is auto app/script install. CPanel uses third-party for this process but with Plesk 12 it's built-in and is very intuitive. Softaculous is great but you simply don't need it in Plesk 12.

For all of you hosters who have not visited Plesk in quite sometime you should really take another look at Plesk Panel 12.

To be honest I can't see how CPanel can compete.

Quote Originally Posted by aareya View Post
    it is very easy answer:

every body use cPanel
    no body know what is it?

i liked Plesk but my customers go away from me if i chose Plesk
    VipoHost.com - Leader in Web Hosting since 2001
    cPanel Hosting | XenVPS Hosting | Hyper-V VPS | Shared Hosting
    Hosting with 24x7x365 Support.

I vote for cPanel, I can also see Plesk being retired sometime in the near future.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by Terrence-J View Post
    I can also see Plesk being retired sometime in the near future.
    You can't even be serious...

Plus you'd benefit nothing. Competition is good.

If you ask a generic question: "Which control panel is better X or Y?" ... if the person responding prefers cPanel, they will say cPanel. Conversely, if the person responding prefers Plesk, they will say Plesk. And you can pretty much substitute any other control panel to be true as well.

At the end of the day, these are opinions. Neither right, nor wrong. The person responding is providing their context and in my opinion, all feedback is good feedback.

If you have not had a chance to try the latest Plesk or the latest cPanel, you should. Both have strong pros and strong cons, but let those decisions be made by your experience.

PS - Yes, I work at Parallels, however after being in this industry for over 15 years, I have a healthy respect for all control panel software on the market today.

Quote Originally Posted by aareya View Post
    In my opinion most of the people who posted a negative or lukewarm review of Plesk are referring to versions prior to 12. Version 12 is a whole new rethink and is beautiful. For those who say it's just a panel and it's simply for end-users to avoid command-line have to realize that if their customers understood command-line then they would not be a customer.

Plesk Panel 12 is innovative and the layout is very intuitive compared to other panels (Cpanel, ZPanel, ISPConfig, Kloxo, & etc...). One of Plesk selling points is that both server administration and user/re-seller administration is performed from the same front-end as apposed to cpanel which uses cpanel itself for users and whm for server.

CPanel in my opinion seems pretty stagnant in terms of UI. Yes the new paper lanterns theme is very welcoming but it's still just a skin.

Another big thing for me is auto app/script install. CPanel uses third-party for this process but with Plesk 12 it's built-in and is very intuitive. Softaculous is great but you simply don't need it in Plesk 12.

For all of you hosters who have not visited Plesk in quite sometime you should really take another look at Plesk Panel 12.

^-- works for Parallels.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    ^-- works for Parallels.
    Not that I'm aware of. But like I said above, he/she uses Plesk and prefers Plesk. I'll take the feedback either way.

I have been in hosting game since 1996, in the dark ages everything was done manually and via command line, user control was not an option. Over time developing own control panels cost a fortune and also became redundant when cPanel and Plesk entered the market. I have used both for clients yet as a business owner looking at simplicity, Plesk came up trumps all the time. Technically Plesk lacked features that cPanel had however my team could manage both Windows and Linux clients using same system. cPanel was a little disjointed with the panel and WHM for server management. With the latest version of Plesk (12) I feel it has leaped forward beyond what cPanel has to offer. There are so many advantages commercially using Plesk 12 it is worth a look. In the end, the Web Professional has their favourite control panel and are always blinded by their view, the business man who looks beyond the favourite can see things on their own merit. If you are in the hosting game and you see things on merit and commercial advantages then Plesk 12 is a game changer.

I never compare plesk vs cpanel just keep in mind Plesk for windows and cPanel for Linux, and both have difference based on market they target So you never need to do Comparison
    VMakerHOST » Providing Amazing Services since 2010
    Three Datacenter Locations: Chicago, Netherlands & Singapore
    █ Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | End User Support | Premium Network | 24x7-365 Support
    ShoutCAST, Web Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers. Managed options available

I don't think Plesk is better than cPanel but you gotta remember that most - if not all - of your clients are going to be familiar with cPanel, not Plesk. I think it will deter more people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast