Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thumbs up Learning programming

Hello there,

Just wanted to ask the following questions for programmers basically.

1. How did you learn programming?
    2. If you were to recommend books, procedures, tips to someone who would like to learn please also supply some information based on your personal experience and outlook.

Thanks.
      0 Not allowed!

I've found tutsplus.com to be super helpful in learning, they provide very in-depth and step-by-step tutorials in video and text format.
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ Running your web hosting business has never been easier - Hostistic.com
    ⚫⚪⚫⚪ More Details coming soon!
      0 Not allowed!

You can also check out lynda.com.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by philippine-webdesign View Post
    Well, besides reading programming/logic books the best way to learn to program is to actually write the code. Start writing simple programs and read other people's code as well.

2. If you were to recommend books, procedures, tips to someone who would like to learn please also supply some information based on your personal experience and outlook.
    as others have pointed out, those two resources are quite good, especially the series at tutsplus.com . I found reading code on github very useful too. It depends on the language you want to learn, but there are many free programming e-books out there which you may find helpful during the journey
    ---=== RoseHosting.com Admin ===---
    Linux Server Management and Outsourced Web Hosting Support - linuxhostsupport.com
    Managed Linux VPS Hosting - rosehosting.com
    High Quality Linux virtual servers with lots of Guaranteed RAM and SSD space, Impeccable Service.
      0 Not allowed!

Here are some sites that will help you learn programming, I think all of them are free, so you will not have to pay anything.
    http://coderace.me/
    http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrica...puter-science/
    https://www.udacity.com/how-it-works
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/
    http://thecodeplayer.com/

And my favorite:
    http://www.codecademy.com/
      0 Not allowed!

Hello there,

Thanks.
    1) Reading books and only after that forums/websites etc.
    2) I can't recommend anything if you don't tell what you want to learn
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anupam27 View Post
    first step for becoming a programmer is to

use notepad++ to do progrmmaing.
    I definitely understand the upside to using a basic IDE when learning to program, but full featured IDE's would help with code completion and providing helpful hints as to what a function does, or even the order of variables needed. I use Sublime and love it, but I miss the code completion aspect of other IDEs when I use a function I rarely use.
      0 Not allowed!

Also, back to OP. If you are learning PHP/Javascript/HTML, W3Schools gets based a lot, but that is where I learned several years ago (and not much has changed since then). I still use them from time to time to look at different libraries.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by TimOpticIP View Post
    Also, back to OP. If you are learning PHP/Javascript/HTML, W3Schools gets based a lot, but that is where I learned several years ago (and not much has changed since then). I still use them from time to time to look at different libraries.
    True. W3Schools is (and has been for a *long* time) one of those resources that's handy to have whenever you need a quick reference. Trying to recall which PHP function to use, or how to properly display your CSS setting? Head right on over to W3Schools!

I used them almost exclusively to learn HTML/CSS. I became acquainted with PHP through them as well, but I found that instructional videos were a lot more useful in that category. However, I do find their PHP guides a lot more helpful now whenever I need a quick refresher. Granted, www.php.net is something any programmer will probably want to become familiar with as well.
      0 Not allowed!

I started learning programming maybe 20+ years ago, today it would be totally different.
    You didn't provide us with any details, so please tell us what kind of programming you want to learn?
    Web programming, Windows/Mac Os programming, Android/iOS programming?
    I exchange E-Currencies(PP<>PM<>Payza<>Payoneer<>Skrill<>Paxum<>WMZ).
    My ICQ: 498*639*434, Skype: Chosen_FTS
    I'll show you my references on request.
      0 Not allowed!

Great tips from the users above. An alternative to learn it yourself online, there are good classes you can take. Have a look at www.starterleague.com (partly owned/promoted by the famous 37Signals).

Learning to code in these times (financial crisis) gives you still a good job opportunity. So don't hesitate, start learning .
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by anupam27 View Post
    first step for becoming a programmer is to

use notepad++ to do progrmmaing.

No that's step 2 Step 1 is to start with an idea/project you care about. Something you want to build. First thing I ever built was a perl guestbook for my band's website in jr high. Now I know perl There's many ways to achieve the same result, the right ways come with experience. Right now just have fun & google everything. It's like legos
    | | i write code
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Learning programming

CS50 has some fairly decent content in it's lectures.
    http://cs50.tv

Won't make you a superstar guru programmer overnight, but explains the fundamentals and has examples in both C and Java from memory.
    The theory and ideas should carry through to other languages, and maybe give some idea of how they work under the hood.
      0 Not allowed!

Go here first http://code.org/
    BD Web Services Since 2009
    cPanel and Plesk | CloudLinux | Node.JS | SSD Server | Daily Remote Backup | North America and Europe | Money Back Guarantee
    USA | Canada | Germany
      0 Not allowed!

I actually got my start in what is now WHT's sister site, www.hotscripts.com.

Downloaded a bunch of scripts, tweaked them so I could understand how they worked and went from there.

Sure, you could learn from books, tutorials, class room instruction, etc., but NOTHING will ever replace real world hands-on experience.

Start off with some of the free simple scripts and build up from there. If you're wanting to learn PHP, make sure you read as much as you can handle on www.php.net and look at some of their examples. Warning: You'll probably be overwhelmed on the PHP.net site, but keep plugging away.

Good luck!
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites
      0 Not allowed!

I learned how to program by taking classes in high school and college, I found that having material dictated to me allowed me to learn much faster then through experimentation or self teaching. I would suggest watching tutorials from "thenewboston" via youtube to learn how to program.
    Jeff F
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com
      0 Not allowed!

If you wanna learn programming I'd highly suggest treehouse. It's a great website with detailed videos on programming from simple html to php. It even has videos on programming ios apps.

http://teamtreehouse.com/
    FusedServers.com - Shared and Dedicated Servers
    █ Softaculous, CloudFlare, cPanel, 99% Uptime, MySQL, PHP, Dallas, Tx.
    Sales@FusedServers.com - Shared and Dedicated Web Hostin
      0 Not allowed!

I learned programming on my college as i am doing btech in a college and i learned c and c++ first and so i will refer that a person should start with these . Concept of OOPs are there in every programming so i refer each person to learn this first.
      0 Not allowed!

I learned programming after I built a tournament script for a shooter game which ended up very good for me. It taught me a lot about programming. From there I started learning more about programming.

You should really check out sites like w3schools.com and php killer which are wonderful videos. There's also Phpacademy which is another very good place to learn how to code.
      0 Not allowed!

I learned programming by tinkering around at first, when I was quite young, mostly because I found the web fascinating and desired to learn how to build interactive websites. As time went on, I learned better practices and more advanced skills from classes, conferences, books, mentors and hands-on experience.
      0 Not allowed!

Hello there,

Thanks.
    School. You can learn syntax from a book, but it's very difficult to proper programming logic without some sort of formal training. Even a summer course at a community college (which is what I did) will teach you lots.
      0 Not allowed!

Write lots of code, use stackoverflow.com a lot. I began writing HTML, because it was simple. Then, I learned a bit of JavaScript, which is basically as good programming as anything else. In the end, it turned out to be mostly C++, which is pretty hard to get right. And for god sake, learn about secure programming. Filtering inputs, careful with system() in PHP, careful with pointers and arrays in C.
      0 Not allowed!

I was around 11 or 12 when I started learning how to program. For me, the best way to learn was to come up with an idea for a programming project and then to make it happen.

Start out small and then use google as a reference. Many people have already asked questions similar to yours, and many others have answered them. Starting out small also allows you to understand what you're actually doing. For example, if I wanted to pull up some data from a database in PHP, I could google for a code snippet that someone else wrote. If I know nothing about programming, I start studying the code line by line to learn its function. Luckily, PHP has a good online manual too.

I can't recommend any books off the top of my head. I didn't find books very useful particularly because they never talked about code for things I wanted to create anyway.
      0 Not allowed!

Give http://www.codecademy.com/ a go, I only tried it recently but it seems nice if you want to get started.

The selection of languages is small, but any is a good start try Python!
    Marcus Stewart Hughes
    HybridCluster - Failover that Just Works
    +44 20 3287 9680 | +1 (415) 800 4658
      0 Not allowed!

I learn from college, however you can learn online tutsplus.com is good place to start. They have really good video tutorials.
    Looking around for some time
    PM me for Website Design and Web Development Work.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast