Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* VPSLatch (Terrible Review)

I've had a service with VPSLatch for a bit less than a month now.

The start was great. Setup was instant and the live sales support stuck with me throughout the purchasing process (at his recommendation).
    The request of site migration from my old server (another vps) to VPSLatch was with a slight hitch, but not a big issue.

But the bad started from getting my cPanel licensed. Sure, it's running on a 45day trial license and it's really no big deal if it's not fully licensed but it took roughly 5 days since the purchase to get it licensed. Rather a long time to do something fairly simple.

I'll skip the minor details like that and get to the big problem.

My server is REALLY slow from time to time.
    My current package is roughly equal (in stats) to their highest package available right now.
    However, I don't use anymore than 600mb in memory, ever. My CPU usage averages 1%. My disk usage is very low and the applications run through a mix of disk and memory cache to serve significant majority of data. So, there's nothing of mine that's causing the problem. However, few days ago, my run of "time vmstat" in ssh took 12 seconds! Biggest problem is, it's getting more and more frequent. My uptime monitors are saying my site is down due to timeouts from time to time.

Naturally, I raised this issue through my ticket (#357895).
    Issue was reportedly due to an abuser of disk on the node. Poor luck for me, conversely, something they should do about as the problem is consistent.
    So, they suggested that I request for a migration.
    29/12/2010 19:14 - I've requested to have my server migrated to another node as this server is absolutely terrible.
    29/12/2010 23:17 - I was added to the "migration queue"

5 days later (now), I'm still here... And my question of status update seem to be getting ignored now.

At this rate, I would have been better off with my old server which was a cheap budget vps.

Last edited by Grumps; 01-04-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Sorry to hear you are having these problems. I will be updating our reviews accordingly.

Hope you better luck in the future.
    BCVH - Need a a New VPS Host?
    Get a Cheap VPS - Get the Best VPS

VPSLatch is pretty active on these forums so I'm sure we'll hear from them soon.

I've been having terrible speed lately also. I have the M2048 plan I get anywhere from 8MB/s to 30MB/s disk throughput. I was getting about 50-70MB/s consistently. Sometimes the node is so slow that I can't even log in. I submitted a ticket today because I couldn't take it any longer. Anything I try to do from a simple 'ls' to moving/deleting files take a long time. I was migrated from a similar server a while back with the same issue. It seems to be something that just keeps happening.

When I submit a ticket to support they just tell me the node is operating normally and to try again. Right now I can't use the server for anything other than running a small, simple web server.

That is one of the major problems with the VPS market, especially the lower-end market... Those who "outgrow" shared hosting all flock to the low end VPS plans and as such bring all of their high usage/issue inducing sites and problems onto a VPS node.

While you generally do get more CPU/Ram to use than you would in a shared environment ultimately the VPS servers are still going to only have so much I/O it can do per second. When you have sites with 1GB databases and millions of rows running queries constantly for example you're going to soak up a huge amount of the node's available I/O.

Now this leads to the next issue - in that it's extremely difficult in most cases to track which VPS is actually using a lot of IO short of watching the load and/or possibly suspending each one momentarily to see when the I/O usage drops. There are some tools out there that can help, but they're less than ideal.

Ultimately if you've literally outgrown shared hosting, I would probably go for a low-end dedicated server unless you want to potentially face being I/O starved by other users on the server that aren't quite as nice about not using it all up as you. If you can't afford a low-end dedicated then at the least I would go for a mid-level to high-level VPS where it's less likely that there will be as many VPS on the same node as you and as such less likely that you will face I/O issues.

Good luck.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I agree with Mike above, an entry level dedicated server might be ideal to some, otherwise you can try cloud or at least get a high performance XEN VPS.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Ive always heard nothing but great things about VPSLatch, this review shocks me and i hope your issue gets resolved.

Best of luck.
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

I had a similar experience to you, Which was never resolved which lead to me cancelling my vps eventually. But one thing, Have you attempted to contact support? They might be able to help you as slowness could be caused by something even out of your control at times.

Maybe you were on the same node as me. I been having high server load issues. I been suspended around 6 times. They said other customers mad. I've hired a person to fix this but only worked for 2 days. Now i going to hire someone else to help me. I might end up moving to dedicated.

^^^
    If your being suspended you might be the one causing the load.

Hi Grumps,

Thanks for bringing this issue up to our hands and we appreciate your patience. I apologize that you're having such a negative experience with our company thus far but I'm here to set things straight with you, and I'm going to do all it takes to make this right for you. We're not here to make your hosting experience tough but rather simple and easy

With respect to your complaint about cPanel/WHM licensing, do you have a ticket ID we can look into? It generally takes 24-48 hours after you request the license, unless the ticket was bumped and reset in the licensing queue. If you have a ticket ID I can gladly look into this for you.

Moving on, I see you have been having delays in reply on your migrations ticket, and I apologize for the delays that occurred lately. This is due with migrations currently being handled by management, and since it was the holidays and new year, management hours were short for some days. Normal hours for management resumed today, the 4th. Support, however, remained 24/7/365 with 25 minute response time guarantees, like always!

You can be rest assured that we are not ignoring you - we value each and every one of our clients and we would never ignore or refuse service to any customer. We treat each and every customer fairly with the trust and loyalty they deserve as a customer.

I will go forth and get this all straightened out for you, you should expect a reply from me to your ticket momentarily. I have also credited your account with a $10.00 account credit to show my deep apologies for the delays you have faced - this is truly something that does not happen on a day to day basis here at VPSLatch, and our other testimonials around this board prove my words.

If you ever have any further concerns or questions, please don't hesitate to e-mail me directly at adam.j@vpslatch.net - I'm always happy and willing to help.

If you would like a phone call to discuss this further, please let us know the best time that we can proceed with calling. Have a great day.

Happy New Year!
    Adam

We also have the same problem with downtime.

Furthermore, with 2GB RAM plan, I have never seen the VPS using more than 800MB RAM.

Sorry to say but I also had constant slowdowns and downtimes last month. Support was not very friendly in fixing this problem - just replies like "In future everything's gonna be alright, thanks for Your patience.".
    When I sent pm on WHT with my problem to Adam he was very friendly and started giving order to support to move me to another node. But 2 weeks passed now, slowdowns still exists(downtimes are stopped) and I even don't know if my server has been moved - I can't contact support - https://clients.vpslatch.net doesn't work for me. Adam, please clarify situation - what's going on... Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fancypocket View Post

Furthermore, with 2GB RAM plan, I have never seen the VPS using more than 800MB RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mayagames View Post
    Sorry to say but I also had constant slowdowns and downtimes last month. Support was not very friendly in fixing this problem - just replies like "In future everything's gonna be alright, thanks for Your patience.".
    When I sent pm on WHT with my problem to Adam he was very friendly and started giving order to support to move me to another node. But 2 weeks passed now, slowdowns still exists(downtimes are stopped) and I even don't know if my server has been moved - I can't contact support - https://clients.vpslatch.net doesn't work for me. Adam, please clarify situation - what's going on... Thanks.
    Please provide a ticket ID. I'm not aware of any recent network or node issues.

Hopefully it works out for everyone here.

My problem has been resolved so far. Thanks Adam...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    That is one of the major problems with the VPS market, especially the lower-end market...
    I am sorry but I feel the need to disagree here. "Especially" is not the right word, everyone has the same I/O problems and if it doesn't he's lucky.

Also, this is not really a reason but something that may be understandable for some VPSLatch clients, 5 days ago we ended up in 2011. I believe it is fair to give VPSLatch some time to fix everything especially now and giving the other great reviews.
    IntoDNS - Check your DNS health and configuration
    FLEIO - OpenStack billing and control panel for service providers

Update:
    I just got the migration complete and hoping the new server will be without problems.

------------------

The cpanel license ticket was: #637640

I'm hoping this review will get a chance to turn out to be a positive review as well.

However, now I feel like the most unlucky person... As I just paid my discounted invoice, the vpslatch site failed to respond. While paypal is saying the payment is complete, my invoice says unpaid.

Below is a copy/paste of my paypal transaction details as proof of payment which the receiver should be able to confirm.
    Code:
    Web Accept Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID #4UP67751DT472331W)

Business Name:	
    	VPSLatch    (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
    Email:	
    	service@vpslatch.net

Total Amount:	
    	-$19.75 USD
    Fee amount:	
    	$0.00 USD
    Net amount:	
    	-$19.75 USD

Item amount:	
    	$19.75 USD
    Sales Tax:	
    	$0.00 USD
    Shipping:	
    	$0.00 USD
    Handling:	
    	$0.00 USD
    Quantity:	

Item Title:	
    	VPSLatch - Invoice #20366
    Date:	
    	Jan 4, 2011
    Time:	
    	23:34:09 PST
    	Completed

Don't worry about that, will check on your account billing once its back up Give us 5-10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by fancypocket View Post

You would be surprised! High-usage websites definitely use more then 2GB ram, and it depends on other things such as Mail Services, and other services being ran on the server.

But of-course, if your a small site you should go with a decent web hosting company. Unless you have the money, get a small VPS then.

You would be surprised! High-usage websites definitely use more then 2GB ram, and it depends on other things such as Mail Services, and other services being ran on the server.
    I am very sure if there is still RAM available, Our site will use more than 800MB.

Sorry folks for the outage on our website, it seems like a multi-gbit DDoS attack is occurring now and once we prove who the attacker is, he will be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Your services and VPS will remain online, I'll be up all night keeping an eye on things.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Take care,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by VL-Adam View Post
    Sorry folks for the outage on our website, it seems like a multi-gbit DDoS attack is occurring now and once we prove who the attacker is, he will be prosecuted to the fullest extent.

Your services and VPS will remain online, I'll be up all night keeping an eye on things.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Take care,
    Adam
    Thanks for the update adam. I nearly crapped my pants when I went to login to my client and it couldn't open vpslatch.net.

Quote Originally Posted by duckribs View Post
    Thanks for the update adam. I nearly crapped my pants when I went to login to my client and it couldn't open vpslatch.net.
    No problem, we always love to keep our clients informed and we're truly sorry about this incident, we will be taking up on a hardware protected firewall soon.

You can check out the status at http://twitter.com/vpslatch - we will keep everyone posted.

Take care,
    Adam

Thanks for the updates Adam I have also bookmarked your twitter page for future reference, I also had a mini panic when not being able to access your site..................

In reference to the OP I have been with VPSLatch now for coming upto 3 months, still quite new but so far I have had a fantastic experience, NO downtime at all and when I have any kind of technical issue I find it is always handled quickly and professionally.

I am more than happy with VPSLatch and wish I had stumbled across them earlier could have saved me a load of hassle with "other" hosts!

I have no plans at all to move from them anytime soon as long as support and uptime stay as it is now then I am one happy customer

I hope 1 day they think about expanding into the dedicated server market I for one would be a more than willing customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast