Thread: Bare-bones VPS?

Bare-bones VPS?

Are there any inexpensive bare-bones Linux VPS providers out there?

My needs at the moment are very small -- a unique IP address, maybe 100MB of space (on top of the space needed for the OS/basic tools), and around 1GB transfer/month. The cheapest VPS plan I could find was JVDS's PetitLinux plan ($12.50/mo) but even that is too much.

You may be wondering why I would need a VPS for such small needs -- basically I just want a little dev environment on a fast line with a dedicated IP. I want to be able to compile projects with gcc, test scripts, etc without worrying about messing stuff up for other shared users on the system. In addition I'd like to be able to run a WAP gateway as a background process (specifically Kannel -- http://www.kannel.org/ ) for personal use with my wireless devices.

Is a VPS overkill for these needs? Would a shell account somewhere else suffice? I really dont know where to look for such small but specific needs -- if anyone could point me in the right direction or even better has experience with a place that could offer what I need, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks!
    J.P.

I think you would be better with a shell account. Try a web hosting place that will allow you shell access with a compiler. Try to stay from places that offer IRC as it may go down often.
    Matt Ayres - togglebox.com
    Linux and Windows Cloud Virtual Datacenters powered by Onapp / Xen
    Instant Setup, Instant Scalability, Full Lifecycle Hosting Solutions

www.togglebox.com

Originally posted by TheWiseOne
    I think you would be better with a shell account. Try a web hosting place that will allow you shell access with a compiler. Try to stay from places that offer IRC as it may go down often.
    That was my problem with the shell providers I came across -- IRC. It seemed like all of the decent places I found who would allow custom background processes would also allow IRC bouncers/eggdrops etc (such as oxygenshell.com, though they are running FreeBSD, which is not an option). As you said, I would ideally not be on an IRC-ridden network.
    Last edited by JP.; 02-26-2004 at 03:32 AM.

take a look in the offers forums...

also take a look at:

http://www.usermodelinux.org/modules...index&catid=12

it lists people that offer UML based vps'

Personally, I would buck up and go with the JVDS account. Rus is a really standup guy, and the $12.50 you are paying really isn't that much for what you are getting.

I would tend to shy away from shell accounts on shared servers, as I personally feel they don't have a place there.

If the $12.50 is still looking too expensive grab an old PC and load Fedora or BSD and have at it. Usually your ISP won't care that much if you are only serving a WAP gateway.

Peter
    The Maag Group - Intelligent IT Solutions
    • Colocation • Dedicated Servers • Server Administration •
    www.maaggroup.com • 877.622.4477