New to SEO and have some questions

I have started two little sites with the hopes to eventually make enough to cover hosting fees at the least. I know its not going to happen right away, so I'm not really worried about it right now.

What I'm trying to grasp is this whole SEO thing. I hear a lot about keywords and back linking and had some questions about them.

First off.. where do you put these keywords? I run WordPress for both sites and found a seo plugin where I can add keywords to each blog post. They don't get put into blog content I guess that doesn't matter? I used the Google keyword tool and to find keywords that get a lot of searches. What does it mean if a keyword has low competition, but high searches?

So my stupid question on back links. Basically back links are when you link a word to a site right?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you are right about a backlink being a keyword, called anchor text, link to a site.

When you talk about the seo plugin for wordpress, it is probably a meta keywords, meta description and titles you are refeering to. These are not displayed on the page itself, unless you chekc the content source. Also note, that for google seo, meta keywords are not consider at all.

Hope this help

Quote Originally Posted by BonsaiRack View Post
    Yes, you are right about a backlink being a keyword, called anchor text, link to a site.

When you talk about the seo plugin for wordpress, it is probably a meta keywords, meta description and titles you are refeering to. These are not displayed on the page itself, unless you chekc the content source. Also note, that for google seo, meta keywords are not consider at all.

Hope this help
    So then the keywords people find with the keyword tool are used in the actual content text?

I agree with BonsaiRack. The plugin would insert meta keywords. That is slightly different to what you are trying to do.

You need to include the keywords in the title of your posts and also in the actual text on the posts. It needs to look natural though.

I think, you have two wordpress blog. If you are using Google keyword tool for keywords research then you should go for blog posts that may include these keywords. Same keywords you can use in seo plugin and as tag for blog post.

If other blogger or webmaster place your site link on his blog or website then it is backlink for your website but if you place other website link on your blog post then it is backlink for other website.

If you link a word with same site's inner pages or home page then it is not count as backlink.

Yes, you are right about the back link its a keyword anchor text link to our site. When crawler crawl this the site got the back link. And the keyword you talking about that have low competition and high searches it means are going it will give the results very soon. So go for it. But remember it must be the targeted keyword and according to your niche.

Which SEO plugin do you use. I have already said in other post that I use "Yoast SEO plugin" and I can recommend it. As far as for back links, those are hyperlinks place on other websites which link (back) to your webpages. It is a jargon used in SEO. They are important if you get them on popular, high quality websites and pages.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

Thanks for the info guys.

I also read using keywords in the Alternate Text text area for media is a good way to add keywords to a site. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by HostColor View Post
    Which SEO plugin do you use. I have already said in other post that I use "Yoast SEO plugin" and I can recommend it. As far as for back links, those are hyperlinks place on other websites which link (back) to your webpages. It is a jargon used in SEO. They are important if you get them on popular, high quality websites and pages.
    I'm using All in One SEO Pack. It allows you to add SEO title , descriptions and keywords. This is all meta info though right that search engines don't even use anymore correct?

What does Yoast have thats different?

Thanks

Have you tried blog commenting?
    I believe that it will be definitely help you to drive traffic your your wordpress blog.

Quote Originally Posted by WaGan View Post
    Have you tried blog commenting?
    I believe that it will be definitely help you to drive traffic your your wordpress blog.
    I have done a little, so its something I consider.
    Its not so much about "trying to drive traffic" its more about me wondering if I'm publishing and using the information correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

I also read using keywords in the Alternate Text text area for media is a good way to add keywords to a site. Is this true?
    Yes it's true. ALT (alternate text) for images isn't quite as valuable as text. Everything helps at the end of the day though!