Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rack911 review - I'm so disappointed...

Hello guys,

A few weeks ago, I created an topic here at WHT looking for a good sysadmin services. Lots of people recommended me Steven from Rack911.com. After a few search I have found lots, lots and lots of reviews, and all of them saying very good things about their service.

Well, I don't know If I'm going to upset anyone here, but I am an honest person and I like to give my feedback about them.

Probably I am the first person saying bad things about Rack911.com, and maybe this was because I feel that I'm an unlucky guy.

Exactly two weeks ago, I paid $150 for the server management service, because I have buy a new dedicated server that needs to setup and server migration from old server to new.

Initial notes:
    - $300 paid for the new server
    - $160 paid for the old server until 2014-02-15
    - $150 paid for the server management

On 24 January 2014 I created an ticket giving them all my server login details.
    They replied faster in same day...

On 25 January 2014 I asked them for updates.
    Steven said "I will have an update shortly."

On 27 January 2014 I asked them for news, since he said "I will have an update shortly."
    He was very rude for me and said "Well, You placed this order basically at the end of the week. I am you going to have to refund you if you can't be patient."
    I said: "Sorry Steven, I am a new costumer, don't know how you guys work. Please take the time that you need."

On 29 January 2014 I replied to the ticket and ask him If was safe to update my websites, since I dont want to loose any data because of the server migration.
    He replied this: "I am sorry its taking a while to get you setup.
    Its my fault its taking a while however the order was placed at a bad time. Numerous customers have had issues that sadly take priority over new orders.
    I cannot put you as a new customer in front of existing customers who have already had accounts. Its just how we work, existing established customers are important.
    Its the same way once you are established your work will come before new orders.
    I hope to get it done today, but feel free to make updates to your sites or whatever you need. I will tell when to stop."

I replied to him with some questions, he ignored me.

On 31 January 2014 I replied:
    "Just updating this ticket because I received this email:
    "This message concerns your ticket #PVV-214-36075. We have not received any response back from you in 36 hours, and would like to know if you consider this issue to be resolved.
    Please note that the ticket will automatically be closed within 48 hours if no response is received from you."

And ask him same questions before...
    He continues to ignore me again...

On 01 February 2014 and still without any reply from Rack911, I said:
    "Come on buddy... I've paid good money for this new server for one month, and one week already passed and I'm not using him :-(
    Also, I have the old server paid until next week only... and don't want to pay another month...
    Steven... whats happening!?
    I thought that you was the best SysAdmin outt here like I have read on WHT..."

On 03 February 2014 and still without any reply from Rack911, I said:
    "Steven, Is almost two weeks that I paid for your service and your last reply was 5 days ago!
    Come on buddy... I've paid good money for this new server for one month, and one week already passed and I'm not using him :-(
    Also, I have the old server paid until next week only... and don't want to pay another month...
    Steven... whats happening!?
    I thought that you was the best SysAdmin out here like I have read on WHT... but this is a hugeee delay."

AFTER 5 DAYS HE REPLIES ME

On 03 February 2014 he said:
    "Ill get it done today."
    I said:
    "If you don't have time today is not a problem, I only was worried because you stop to answer me. I don't want you to setup my new server in a hurry. :-)
    But I really appreciate if you can do this asap because of the reasons that I mention in my previous message.
    Just let me know when you start, thanks!"

He said:
    "I am starting on this shortly."

On 04 February 2014 I said:
    "Thank you Steven, I have stopped updating my websites until you done."

On 05 February 2014 I said:
    "Steven, any news on this? Old server goes down in a few days.. do you already started?"
    He said:
    "We did. Will update soon."

On 06 February 2014 I ask him for updates
    He ignored me again...

On 07 February 2014 (TODAY) he said:
    "I am going to have to refund you. We are severely backlogged and I cannot get your server completed at this time."

I said:
    Steven,
    Please don't do that... let me explain why:
    - I have paid $300 month for the new server that is waiting for the migration. Two weeks already passed and only left two more until next payout
    - I have only 3 days of the old server before goes down, one more month will cost me $160
    - I have trusted in your services because everyone on WHT has talked very good things about you. That's why I was waiting for you, because If I was interested in refund, I will already requested and hire someone else, but I didn't do that because I decided to wait for you because I want the best to setup my server and do the migration.
    EDIT: I notice now that the old server is paid until 2014-02-15 So we have more 8 days. Is not enough?
    Please say something, but please reconsider my request... I really want you to setup my server and make the migration. If I wait two weeks until now, I don't mind to wait some more days, just need to know how much time do you really need.

He ONLY said:
    "Refund processed."

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/0kgJBH1.png

This is unbelievable! He must have cold blood!

Now I only have 7 days to make the migration until my old server goes down... and need to find someone good and professional ASAP.

Some important notes:

1- In my point of view, this is bad thing to say a costumer: "I cannot put you as a new customer in front of existing customers who have already had accounts. Its just how we work, existing established customers are important."
    I understand a little but... we, new costumers, paid the same for same service... and think with me... was not my case but imagine that you have an emergency job to make, they don't give you high priority because you are a new costumer... you must to wait, one week, two... the necessary until they have time. And you are still paying for that!

2- He is nothing professional like I thought that he was, because of the reviews that I have read... he is a guy with few words and sometimes a little rude with his clients. I always was polite in my words. And don't want to call him a liar, because he said many times that "job will be done today" OR "we already started". But maybe I have reasons to call him that!?

3- He is not trustful. I believed in his words saying that he already started and saying that will be completed soon... and now he abandoned me with only 7 days until my old server next payout.

I am really but really very disappointed! I never thought that Steven will be an real nightmare for me! If by far the worst experience that I had with a SysAdmin.

Anyway, changing subject, can someone please recommend me a good server management service that can help me in 7 days?
    I was looking at smartservermanagement.com, attacker.net and wizzadmin.wizzsolutions.com

Total disk space used from all my accounts: 66 GB

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your experience. I thought I would chime in about recommendations as you mentioned. SmartServerManagement are brilliant, I've used them for the odd job and Chris (co-owner) has always responded quickly with good, quality results. He runs a reputable ship over there and I'm sure they can take care of you.

Best of luck
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

That is VERY bad customer service. Making a customer wait 2+ weeks, then still not completing it.

I suggest you move on..
    I've personally used http://www.platinumservermanagement.com/ before and have had no issues. Also, http://www.serveradminz.com/ (They have a 50% off coupon in the offers section) is great. We've used them multiple times (contact their sales first to make sure they are not backlogged, if your migration is a whole lot of accounts)

If they dont have the time to serve new customers, i think they should put some type of stock control in their order form. This is just unacceptable.

I recommend Platinumservermanagement. They are cheaper and actually responses are MUCH better and the job ACTUALLY gets done.

I hope you find another provider that full fills your needs soon!

I fully agree, same with ANY company. Or in some cases, notices on the website or cart is helpful. For instance SmarttServerManagement placed a big red notice on their site last year when an Xen vulnerability/security issue was made public and they either stopped new orders or made customers aware that there would be delays - can't remember the exact details now. The reason they did this was so that all customers with existing management contracts would be given priority and the quality service they expect.

Quote Originally Posted by NEQ3 - Sam View Post
    If they dont have the time to serve new customers, i think they should put some type of stock control in their order form. This is just unacceptable.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

I experienced the same as the OP a few months ago and I have the same opinion as Sam. Steven should stop accepting new costumers if he has no time to handle them properly in a timely manner.
    Andrew N. - cPanel Plesk VMWare Certified Professional
    Do you need immediate assistance? 20 minutes response time!*
    EmergencySupport - Professional Server Management and One-time Services

What's worse is that he led him on for 2+ weeks. If he was that backlogged, he should have told the customer within a few days. Not 2+ weeks later. OP could have easily found another company to do this task for him.

Your not the only one who he as been rude and arrogant to. Its a wonder he as any customers talking to them like this.
    Been running a successful independent web hosting company for over 13 years

I've been using Rack911 since 2013-05-19 and I have found Steven to be very professional in all my dealings with him. I've yet to experience any replies that come off as rude or arrogant.

I don't see anything rude about those replies.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I don't see anything rude about those replies.
    He fails to acknowledge what the customer has said/asked, which is pure ignorance and is very rude.

Also I think the main 'problem' here is that he keeps the OP waiting weeks for a simple "we cannot do it", when the OP has clearly stated to Steven that he has a deadline.

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your replies and for your support.
    I was replying to kpmedia but the member bhavicp has gave him a good answer.

Just a quick note, please think twice before recommend Steven to anyone else :/

EDIT:
    I notice that this topic has been marked has FEATURED. Thank you!

Well, You placed this order basically at the end of the week. I am you going to have to refund you if you can't be patient
    While I understand the frustration, this is hardly rude (not even 'very rude' as you put it). This is merely Steven telling you to be patient.

If you'll take a look at Steven's history here, you'll see the same thing from God knows how many people. Like far too many in this field, he is slammed with impatient individuals like yourself.

Steven is absolutely correct, in stating
    I can't put you in front of current customers
    as well. The reality is that old customers will always take priority, because they will always keep the business and bills paid. Understandably, this is frustrating to you, but, again, you need to understand that, especially in this line of work, things happen, and priorities need to be assigned. A 'transfer services' client is going to be about as low priority as it gets.

Steven's a good guy, I've worked with him in the past, and even though he and I disagree on a lot of things, in this case he's right. Not that taking your money and not delivering services is right, but until you're in his shoes, you have no room to complain.

As for a refund, I'm sure he'll happily give it to you

I can also recommend SmartServerManagement. I've used their services for a couple of jobs and Chris was really helpful! They also run a hosting business so migrating your server will be simple for them.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    If you'll take a look at Steven's history here, you'll see the same thing from God knows how many people. Like far too many in this field, he is slammed with impatient individuals like yourself.

Steven is absolutely correct, in stating

as well. The reality is that old customers will always take priority, because they will always keep the business and bills paid. Understandably, this is frustrating to you, but, again, you need to understand that, especially in this line of work, things happen, and priorities need to be assigned. A 'transfer services' client is going to be about as low priority as it gets.

Steven's a good guy, I've worked with him in the past, and even though he and I disagree on a lot of things, in this case he's right. Not that taking your money and not delivering services is right, but until you're in his shoes, you have no room to complain.

I'll say again, I don't think the issue here is that the OP's request is low priority. It's that he was not informed AT ALL. Rack911 could have simply said right from the beginning (or even 1 week in), "We will not be able to complete your order in the deadline you have, here's a refund, goodluck." The OP would have understood and moved on.

But Rack911 have wasted 2+ weeks of the OP's time and left him in a very bad situation. He now has to find someone to do it very urgently or pay another month.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    As for a refund, I'm sure he'll happily give it to you
    Again, this is not being questioned. Steven has said he'll provide a refund, 2+ weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewn View Post
    I experienced the same as the OP a few months ago
    Your signature claims you're a senior system admin. You've used Rack911?
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Divvy,
    Your refund was processed via 2checkout earlier today. You should have it soon, if you don't have it in a week let me know and I will investigate further.

I am sorry for your bad experience, an unfortunate chain of both personal and business events occurred that set me back quite a bit. I care deeply for existing customers, and do everything in my power to get their needs handled, that same that would have occurred if you were already an established customer.

For those of you saying that there should be an out of stock on the site, well literally hours after his ordered was placed things started to snow ball and never got quite caught up, however I have been working very hard to get there the last two days. I am very open and honest, yes we are having growing pains and I am working to resolve them.

Anyway, sorry for your bad experience Divvy with Rack911, good luck with your next company.
    Last edited by Steven; 02-07-2014 at 08:26 PM.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

@bhavicp - how is it that the OP wasn't informed as you suggest? Look at the OP's post:

On 27 January 2014 I asked them for news, since he said "I will have an update shortly."
    He was very rude for me and said "Well, You placed this order basically at the end of the week. I am you going to have to refund you if you can't be patient."
    While the response is definitely a little bit curt, the message was pretty clear - if the OP were willing to wait, Rack911 would get to him as soon as time allowed. Otherwise, it might be best if he were to move on. To me, it looks like Rack911 did exactly as you suggested they should.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - Affordable Colocation Services in Las Vegas, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle

Steven, thank you! But unfortunately I was really very disappointed...

Rob T, yes he said that but... I prefer to wait because I really wanted to have the server setup by then! But was a mistake to wait... And now I only have 7 days to find someone good to help me before next month payout.

Is funny how things works in this community. These guys help all of us with their bug/security reporting, there is not a single member of this community that haven't receive the benefit, because of their hard work.

Sure go and feature a debatable review. Apparently that's how the community give thanks...

While I'm not a customer of their, I find very nice that they put their current established customer in front of the new ones. That's how it work in this type of business.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    Is funny how things works in this community. These guys help all of us with their bug/security reporting, there is not a single member of this community that haven't receive the benefit, because of their hard work.

Sure go and feature a debatable review. Apparently that's how the community give thanks...
    It is what it is, no hard feelings.
    End of the day, customer or not, everyone in hosting including Divvy benefits from what we do in security. Divvy may hate Rack911, but its Rack911 that is working every day to make hosting safer for him.
    If some WHT staff member wants to feature a negative thread about Rack911 so be it.
    We get plenty of emails and PM's thanking us to make up for it.

With that said, not much more to say in this thread. Divvy is unhappy, I have issued a 2co refund. Life will move on.
    Last edited by Steven; 02-07-2014 at 10:06 PM.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Honestly I find it a little biased and debatable to feature a review. I get it. When there's an interesting discussion, go on and feature it. But when there's a review and someone's livelihood, I don't understand why it needs to be featured. In my book, it's just in bad taste.

I've personally never used Steve before but if it wasn't for him and his team a lot of vulnerabilities would still be active. I thankful everyday when I receive a notification from Hosting Sec List about an issue that they found and was fixed by the vendor.
    WordPress Hosting
    Shared / White Label Reseller WHM | SSD Cloud | CloudLinux

www.LarisMedia.com Wordpress & Magento Website Design

Quote Originally Posted by AcclaimedHost Alan View Post
    Honestly I find it a little biased and debatable to feature a review. I get it. When there's an interesting discussion, go on and feature it. But when there's a review and someone's livelihood, I don't understand why it needs to be featured. In my book, it's just in bad taste.
    I'm puzzled by this as well. This really strikes me as poor judgement to "feature" a review unless the review has some uniquely defining characteristic. This is a little unusual in that it's the first Rack911 complaint I've seen, but that's hardly feature-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    For those of you saying that there should be an out of stock on the site, well literally hours after his ordered was placed things started to snow ball and never got quite caught up, however I have been working very hard to get there the last two days. I am very open and honest, yes we are having growing pains and I am working to resolve them.
    That's commendable that you want to tend to your existing customers first. But if you aren't able to resolve incoming requests from new customers in a reasonable time, it might be time to stop accepting new orders. I'd say the same thing about a server company that couldn't provision in a reasonable time, or a license vendor who was experiencing week-long delays.

You've bailed us out on short notice in the past, and we were happy with your service. So when you stopped responding to our last two pre-sales inquiries, we figured we had posted something you disagreed with on WHT or elsewhere and you were giving us the cold shoulder as a result. It seemed uncharacteristically unprofessional from you, but absent any other communication, you work with what you've got. A quick "Hey, I'm really sorry, but I'm not able to work your case right now - here's a refund" goes a long way towards preserving your reputation. This sort of thing can definitely leave a bad taste in a customer's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post
    I'm puzzled by this as well. This really strikes me as poor judgement to "feature" a review unless the review has some uniquely defining characteristic. This is a little unusual in that it's the first Rack911 complaint I've seen, but that's hardly feature-worthy.
    Is making a thread "featured" a manual process (ie a moderator has to decide to make it featured), or is it an automated system based on posts/views?

If it's the later, then I can't say it's WHT choice/fault. Does seem a strange choice though if it's a manual process.

Think this situation could have maybe been handled better, but I still think it would not put me off using rack911

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast