Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SolusVM Version 1.9.01 - Node Hangs [SolusVM based hosts read this]

Hi Folks,

Just a heads up, after the monster thread about 1.8.02 where by bandwidth limiting was disabled due to causing node hangs and waiting the best part of 3 months for a fix I just want to let everyone know it is still broken.

If you use rate limiting in 1.9.xx it may(probably will) cause your node to hang.

It is deeply frustrating because from what I gather most of the 3 months delay was due to testing to ensure stability.

A decision has been made here to remove rate limited/ un-metered packages completely as this issue carries a high risk of data loss for customers due to unclean shut-downs.

As far as I know the TC system implementation is the issue so it likely affects all virt types running under solusvm not just xen.

I know other hosts have had this issue and it has been reported to SolusVM as far back as the 12/01/2012 yet no email has been sent out to SolusVM customers informing them of the risk.

its hard to type this in a way that my frustrations will be felt so I am going to stick with....... SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Customers were lost due to the node hang here, very frustrating as we very specifically suffered at the old version rather that doing the update when the beta release was made public for months and then waited another week after the release just to be sure.

Its fine to say that it is always safer not to update to the most recent release for a long period of time but that issue has now been present for around 5 releases some of the updates in between were security related so it was never an option.

SIGH................
    -> INCEPTION HOSTING LIMITED Since 2010!
    -> I am most active on the lowendspirit hosting forum Come join us!
    -> PHOENIX USA & THE NETHERLANDS & UK EU

Really. We have had it enabled on all our nodes and not had any issues... yet.
    IT & Hosting Solutions Rotherham - Virtual6 Ltd
    IT Distributor | IT Manufacturer | Hosted Products | Business IT Support

I've only had SolusVM issues with one host lately. Solus will hang, and "the server has gone away" errors.
    I've not yet taken it up with the host.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by VMPort View Post
    Really. We have had it enabled on all our nodes and not had any issues... yet.

Sadly yes, I know it has hit secured dragon too.

took 3 days after upgrading, its basically a time bomb based on your % of limiting.

e.g. if you restrict to 20mbit on a 100mbit link it will not crash the node as fast as restricting a VPS to 20mbit on a 1000mbit link but sooner or later.... BANG within a split second your node is dead in the water without warning.

Not looking for another solusvm bashing thread though so I have posted my list of issues with it here http://forum.soluslabs.com/showthrea...rated-customer

Quote Originally Posted by backtogeek View Post
    Sadly yes, I know it has hit secured dragon too.

took 3 days after upgrading, its basically a time bomb based on your % of limiting.

e.g. if you restrict to 20mbit on a 100mbit link it will not crash the node as fast as restricting a VPS to 20mbit on a 1000mbit link but sooner or later.... BANG within a split second your node is dead in the water without warning.

Not looking for another solusvm bashing thread though so I have posted my list of issues with it here http://forum.soluslabs.com/showthrea...rated-customer
    From the lack of other SolusVM customers reporting similar issues are you sure this isn't a specific instability with your setup?
    BotWars.io - Code the AI of your Battle Bot!

So far it work smoothly for us.
    At this moment still didn't find serious issues.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    So far it work smoothly for us.
    At this moment still didn't find serious issues.
    What virt type are you using, I suspect it is far worse in XEN PV, just as a point of clarity though when this issue was present last I could have gaps as long as 25 days between hangs and 1.9.0 has not even been out that long yet so beware.

I guess the bottom line is if you and your customers are ok wih potential random hangs without warning and potential data loss you dont need to worry and you can sit back and relax

As has been mentioned we experienced the node hangs within 24 hours and then every 23-24 hours for 2 days. We disabled Traffic Shaping on our Xen PV nodes which resolved the issue but our OpenVZ nodes have been running fine with Traffic Shaping enabled. Our Xen PV nodes had 100% uptime since hardware installation prior to SolusVM 1.9 with no other changes to the nodes.

I've posted threads on SolusVM's forums and here that might provide more details:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1116098
    http://forum.soluslabs.com/showthrea...a-Xen-PV-slave

I did open a ticket with them regarding this so they are aware of it.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

2 of ours went down in the middle of last night as well, one OpenVZ and one Xen.

Another tip for you guys, install Cacti and start monitoring there bandwidth usage, you will see once it gets about 1Mbit SolusVM is well off.

This is not good at all, Just makes me consider switching to virtpanel or veportal even more.
    AboveClouds - UK Based Company
    Self Managed Scalable, On-demand Cloud Hosting with a personal touch ❤

Ok OpenVZ has been confirmed as a DDoS attack so SolusVM cant take the blame for that, the cause for the Xen downtime is still unknown though.

No problems with solusvm 1.9 here. Bandwidth limiting works fine.

No issues here yet, some of our nodes are setup to limit VPS at 100mbps as standard. The vzctl issue is the only issue that's really annoyed us... Solus says it's the fault of OpenVZ but at the end of the day Solus should have tested further, it's a compatibility issue so how can it be the fault of OpenVZ!

Let's hear from Solusvm team about it.

FWIW we've never had a node crash that's been directly linked to the rate limiting feature.
    QuadraNet Enterprises | Providing Secure Infrastructure Solutions to modern businesses since 2001.
    QuadraNet is a globally recognized cloud solution provider ​with the Best-in-class responsive 24x7 customer support.​
    Locations: Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, New Jersey, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle & Amsterdam.
    Andrew Moore andrew.moore@quadranet.com Visit https://www.QuadraNet.com

What virt type are you using....
    Both Xen and OVz running fine.
    What hardware setup you have on node that always hang?
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @

XEN PV (4.x)
    Mix of CPU types,
    Supermicro
    Mix of HDD types
    Mix of Raid controllers
    Intel driver
    gbit port

Starting to suspect it is XEN PV only that is affected.

From SolusLabs
    We are trying to rectify any issues but it's proving hard to find whats causing it. We seem to be doing everything correct as per the TC manual aswell.
    If your not running Xen PV you are probably fine from what I gather but if your running Xen PV on gbit port then the % of rate limiting for a 20 - 50 mbit un-matered plan is obviously far grater than if your only on 100mbit ports, I think the % of limiting has a direct effect.

@123systems, from what I can tell you only use OpenVZ so you probably wont have an issue with this.

Try to downgrade your Xen version to 3.4.x
    Enterprise Hosting @

Quote Originally Posted by CH Hosting View Post
    Try to downgrade your Xen version to 3.4.x
    When this hit last time they were on 3.4.x so I suspect that will make little difference and be a retrograde step and upgrading to 4.x was a recommended solution back then.

The problem for inception hosting has been resolved, I am not looking for answers here, we simply don't offer it now and stability has been restored as a result.

3 hosts here on this thread have confirmed this on XEN PV, all 3 have raised a ticket about it, I am sure there are more who have gbit nodes that have suffered it.

I guess if your only offering 100mbit maximum to your clients the TC system will cope quite well with that so even on XEN PV you may not have an issue.
    Last edited by backtogeek; 01-22-2012 at 02:00 PM.

When this hit last time they were on 3.4.x so I suspect that will make little difference and be a retrograde step and upgrading to 4.x was a recommended solution back then.

The problem for inception hosting has been resolved, I am not looking for answers here, we simply don't offer it now and stability has been restored as a result.

3 hosts here on this thread have confirmed this on XEN PV, all 3 have raised a ticket about it, I am sure there are more who have gbit nodes that have suffered it.

I guess if your only offering 100mbit maximum to your clients the TC system will cope quite well with that so even on XEN PV you may not have an issue.
    Did you end up going for what we discussed?

Actually done some research, there is already a bug report with CentOS, it seems to affect the 2.6.18 xen kernels and causes exactly this issue.

It has been outstanding since late 2010 and has not yet been fixed so frankly the TC system should have never been implemented by SolusVM.

The alternative is the xen rate limiting but that has its own issues.

Bottom line I guess, if your not having issues then great but there is always the potential.

Quote Originally Posted by VMPort View Post
    Did you end up going for what we discussed?
    Lost me there buddy drop me an email, if your talking about the solusvm replacement, not yet but it is on the cards.

Limiting bandwidth any non-hardware way is going to cause lots of CPU load, which is likely the cause of the drops?

We've had it enabled (though only on around 5-10 VM's) across all our nodes, and have yet to see any issues (through the entire beta which we've been using since it was first released).
    Afterburst - the best unmetered VPS - read why here!

@Fizzadar: OpenVZ or XEN or KVM, if XEN is it XEN PV or XEN HVM?

What is the link speed on the node and what are you restricting too?

Of the restricted packages are they actually active, i.e. if they are on 10mbit are they actually using 10mbit or is it a trickle of data?

Not noticed any CPU spikes at all, mix of I7's X3470's and E3-1270's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast