Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Unfortunately some companies like hostican.com prey on smaller businesses calling them out when they are wrong. They take the money to the bank that is not theirs and do not deliver a product or an affiliate payment. Webhostingtalk.com is the only place I know where you can warn people from using corrupt companies. That and putting up your own website. Who needs a lawyer when you have public opinion, public forum and freedom of speech ? Nothing I have said at this point publicly is wrong. All the information is accurate.
    Mariehosting - Wordpress hosting Experts web hosting Get a website you will love. Affordable Wordpress web design

Quote Originally Posted by solarblunet View Post
    Don't send emails like this if you will never respond to affiliate tickets. I have three unanswered tickets: #TWP-913256 #ETC-714006 #ABE-243150, I keep leaving voicemails as instructed by "brad" who seems to be the only person working there, when asked for a manager he says "I'm it." When calling another department he is also "IT". How do you build a datacenter and have no staff ?

"I just wanted to let you know that I am now back to being the affiliate manger at HostICan! I was transferred over to another position within the company about 6 - 7 months ago, and I was replaced with another affiliate manager. It seems that he did a very poor job of managing my key accounts. I was re-tasked back to being the affiliate manager just recently and apologize for being out of contact for a while. I wanted to get back in contact with you, since I'm back at the helm of the affiliate program, and wanted to reconnect with my most loyal affiliates, and get everything brought up to speed.

I have been working with one of our programmer and have revamped the affiliate system and also added a lot of new banners. These changes are based on the feedback I have received- so please let me know what you think of the changes and feel free to give me your feedback on this. Additionally, the new affiliate system ensures that there are no more retracted commissions for visitors that didn't complete the order process successfully.

You may get logged into the affiliate system by clicking on the link below:

[deleted]

I apologize again for any issues that you've faced with the affiliate program, so I want re-connect with you and get things back on track. Let me know what your thoughts are, and once again, thanks for all your support prior and current.

Kind Regards,

Denis Motova
    "

The affiliate manager I had before was nice, answered calls and handled customer service. Denis is worse, how is he managing things better. How do you get shifted around in your own company? You do a bad job here, so the board puts you there instead. That sounds like your on your way out the door buddy. The only thing you got left to do is answer these emails. Maybe, maybe not. You seem to be doing a bad job at that too. WHY send an email to all your affiliates if you are not going to actually do the things you say you are going to do for them ? Take your leads elsewhere this company apparently does not need your sales.
    Just a point of order here: Denis is the boss. It says so in his site's blog, in an entry in April that mentions "HostICan’s president and CEO Denis Motova."

The recent press releases he submitted to Web Host Industry Review say the very same thing.

And he told me as much shortly after I began using their service some years back. At the same time, he was decidedly reluctant to admit he owned the company — I never could figure that out. I'm happy to call myself the boss of my company.

In any case, although I helped Denis once upon a time to set up HostICan's forum, and with public information (he even called me CIO, though my sole compensation was use of a low-end server), that's long ago and far away. He failed to honor a recent agreement to provide a new server for my company, and he stopped taking my phone calls. So there you go.

I'm not happy about him or way HostICan treats customers, and I do sympathize with those of you who are having problems. Although no company is perfect, getting a bad rap for service and support can quickly bury any business.

Fortunately, there are loads of other Web hosts who are happy to have your business, and I hope those of you owed refunds and commissions will soon get satisfaction. Maybe the force of public disclosure will help.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; 11-06-2010 at 06:49 PM.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

I love how much they hide behind their TOS to keep your money. No matter if your a customer, or affiliate. They now want my domain name but have not went through the proper channels. You cannot just ask me for a domain I purchased unlike your company there IS a check and balance to domain registration. Even if you dont know it, I do.
    Mariehosting - Wordpress hosting Experts web hosting Get a website you will love. Affordable Wordpress web design

I love how much they hide behind their TOS to keep your money. No matter if your a customer, or affiliate. They now want my domain name but have not went through the proper channels. You cannot just ask me for a domain I purchased unlike your company there IS a check and balance to domain registration. Even if you dont know it, I do.
    This is just preposterous. Where's your domain registered? I hope it doesn't have their name on it.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

No, it has their name in it but not on it. And if you take down a site for bad pr but don't take down someone else's site for affiliate than that's just being choosy. You cant have it both ways. Dennis seems to want the money from his clients and not pay his affiliates. He wants only people to use his brand when its all positive and colorful. In reality that is part of the reason no one takes review sites seriously that are branded. The hosting company has told them "since your site is positive we will let you use our brand". That's just deceptive practices, every company has at least one upset person.

I'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't seem to be a trademark violation that I can see. Anyone?

At worst, you can say, the name is meant strictly as satire — that protects you.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

Satire or not as a hosting company its not your right to take domains from people because they are negative even though they are true. You can't pick and choose who gets to use your brand name that's selective and known as censorship.

Satire or not as a hosting company its not your right to take domains from people because they are negative even though they are true. You can't pick and choose who gets to use your brand name that's selective and known as censorship.
    Really, the main justification would be if it infringed on their trademark, but that's questionable.

I mean, you can't have a site with the name "iPod" or one of many Apple Inc. trademarks without getting into deep doo-doo. But you can use the name "Mac," as I learned from personal experience. That train left the station already.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

What happens when someone names their kid ipod and he wants to put up a website for his friends and socializing ?

What happens when someone names their kid ipod and he wants to put up a website for his friends and socializing ?
    Don't call it iPod.

However, I don't think Apple will complain for a personal site. If, then, they tried to make it a regular blog, watch out.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

wow.. I'm amazed it has gotten this far. You generate quite a bit of business for this company and they seem to be neglecting your concerns.

To help answer your questions though, yes chargebacks of this magnitude will have an effect. However, due to the number of disputes your bank will require a lot of detailed information per FDCPA and FCRA regulations. You may also need to do a claims and defenses chargeback due to the length of time this has been instead of a billing error chargeback. More than likely it will all be time consuming for all parties involved, and you need to be very careful not to get carried away with this. I imagine they are due some of these charges, right? If so, be very careful about abusing the credit card dispute process as this could land you and/or your client(s) in trouble both in civil, and criminal nature.

To be honest, if I were you I would lawyer up at this point before doing the chargebacks.

In any case, good luck with your claim and I wish you the best moving forward. It's great to see someone such as yourself sending someone so much business and I hope in the future you do not have to deal with such an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    It might. In any case, it could cost them something like $25 times 40.
    True. Though TMF is what anyone should really be concerned with when it comes to chargebacks.
    Amir Golestan
    Executive Director | Micfo
    datacenter facilities in 39 cities across the world | AS53889
    www.micfo.com/datacenter

What is TMF Even after running a collections, billing and chargeback department for three years thats a term I didn't get to hear :-P

Anything new? I think you hold the record for the amount of chargebacks. Unbelievable. Has it been verified that this company has a 50 million dollar datacenter? Are they really that large that they have a "board"?

I mean, it sounds as if you are speaking of a fortune 500 company here. Is this company really that massive. Like other members have said, I have never heard of them. Wouldn't they put some money into advertising and drawing their own clients in that way they don't have to count on referrals. If you have forked over 50M for a DC you can't drop 10K on advertising to basically explode. From what I read they seem like they are BS artists IMO. Where is this DC?

Quote Originally Posted by HS-CB Matt View Post
    Anything new? I think you hold the record for the amount of chargebacks. Unbelievable. Has it been verified that this company has a 50 million dollar datacenter? Are they really that large that they have a "board"?

I mean, it sounds as if you are speaking of a fortune 500 company here. Is this company really that massive. Like other members have said, I have never heard of them. Wouldn't they put some money into advertising and drawing their own clients in that way they don't have to count on referrals. If you have forked over 50M for a DC you can't drop 10K on advertising to basically explode. From what I read they seem like they are BS artists IMO. Where is this DC?
    Perhaps someone who lives near their Richmond, VA office should drop over there and see what sort of operation they really have. I am obviously curious.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

Thank you for informing your problems.

Next time you make such bulk order, always do a proper research.

I talked to the CEO for three hours and did a split test with other companies. His is the only one who decided to keep the client in limbo to hide behind their 30 day tos, and then not pay the affiliate. My research was with the CEO of the company and he gave me his word, and promised several times to pay me.

To be honest, if I were you I would lawyer up at this point before doing the chargebacks.
    If I gather things correctly, the chargebacks would be filed by the 40 customers independently. It's up to them to consider if their particular situation makes a chargeback claim necessary.

Should the situation be that the OP was paying for the hosting accounts himself, then the affiliate commissions would probably be invalid, because most web hosting affiliate programs ban self-referrals.

If I gather things correctly, the chargebacks would be filed by the 40 customers independently. It's up to them to consider if their particular situation makes a chargeback claim necessary.
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but apparently it took two months before an issue was raised re. the IPs; should they then get a full refund for those 2 months or just the refund for the IPs?

And yes, it appears to be 40 affiliate sales; which technically means they're not the OPs customers (for hosting).

Should the situation be that the OP was paying for the hosting accounts himself, then the affiliate commissions would probably be invalid, because most web hosting affiliate programs ban self-referrals.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by trustedurl.com View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate here, but apparently it took two months before an issue was raised re. the IPs; should they then get a full refund for those 2 months or just the refund for the IPs?

And yes, it appears to be 40 affiliate sales; which technically means they're not the OPs customers (for hosting).

Agreed.
    In light of the way Denis has treated me in recent weeks, after breaking that agreement to provide a server, I should reveal this:

Back in 2007, when I first signed up with HostICan (first for VPS, then for a dedicated server), they had a problem with two of their payment processors, who were withholding payments for months for some "unknown" reason. I gather this must have been the result of an excessive amount of chargebacks. I remember Denis going through the mill to find someone new.

Certainly these recent experiences explain what was really going on. I shouldn't have been so sympathetic to his cause.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I should add my client did try to buy a dedicated server first, hostican's support responded about 5 business days later saying they "had none in stock" why allow an order for a dedicated server you cannot fulfill ? Who not be proactive and call the customer. I think they actually call that customer service, which is lacking. I would love to walk into that company and turn that sinking ship around. When your in above your head and sinking you should be seeking the right help and not pissing off people who can help your brand or harm your brand.

I should add my client did try to buy a dedicated server first, hostican's support responded about 5 business days later saying they "had none in stock" why allow an order for a dedicated server you cannot fulfill ? Who not be proactive and call the customer. I think they actually call that customer service, which is lacking. I would love to walk into that company and turn that sinking ship around. When your in above your head and sinking you should be seeking the right help and not pissing off people who can help your brand or harm your brand.
    In my case, I was twice notified that a server had been provisioned. They needed to update their billing system, and I would get the login info. It never happened. Does anyone on the planet have one of their new servers?
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

I dealt with them on behalf of a client several years ago and everything went smoothly. I'm sorry to hear of this news because when one host looks bad it taints the industry as a whole.

Rick
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

I wonder if Hostican has anything to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by uberhostNET View Post
    I dealt with them on behalf of a client several years ago and everything went smoothly. I'm sorry to hear of this news because when one host looks bad it taints the industry as a whole.

Rick
    Same here. I had no problems using their service in 2007 and 2008.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast