Concerns regarding domain redemption period - Assistance reqd pls.

Hello everyone, I have been a member of WHT for not so long but I certainly am a visitor for quite a while now.... Best place to check reviews, authenticity and credibility of web hosts. I have gained from this forum.

Coming to my question:

By negligence I have managed to have a domain of mine expired from godaddy, it went through auctions, closeout.... Nobody bought it. Its a non-english name so I can understand why, but Thanks God it wasn't bought. Now it is in redemption period.

I don't want to pay 90 dollars (can't afford) for this domain and I am pretty sure nobody will buy it even if it's available right now. I did some research and found out that after registrar releases the domain to registry .... its kept on hold for another month or so..

My specific question....

Updated Date: 01-dec-2014
    Creation Date: 20-oct-2013
    Expiration Date: 20-oct-2014

Does it say that, domain entered into redemption period on 1st December? If so, how soon it might be released to general availability?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.icann.org/resources/page...-2013-02-28-en

IMO it also depends on the provider. With godaddy you enter into that redemption period which is normal but they charge you more. I've renewed domains that has been a while expired for 15 dollars in other providers without having to pay so much.

90 dollars is a lot. 20 or 30 would be reasonable.
    --

Ideally you should be allowed to renew your domain at some extra charge.

Any domain which goes beyond its expiry date is available to be renewed exclusively to the previous owner which in this case is you.

The way I see it, your registrar is not going to reduce his renewal fees for you, so it all boils down to whether you want to pay the extra $$ or just let go of the domain.

Thanks guys for the input.

I repeat my question again,

Updated Date: 01-dec-2014

Domain Registered on 20-oct-2013, Expired on 20-oct-2014.Updated date is 01-dec-2014, what does updated date means? Does it mean, the 30 days redemption period started on 1-dec-2014? and after that a 5day deletion period etc.

I am just guessing if I am going to be able to re-register this domain somewhere after first week of jan 2015.

Do you want us to pinpoint a date when the domain is going to be released? Because in that case, we'll have to disappoint you.

$90 for a domain renewal is a lot. $90 for a domain restoration (which, like here, is reactivating a domain during the redemption period) is not the cheapest around, but I am yet to find any registrars who can do that below $50. Consider the raise in pricing a late payment fee issues by the registry.

Quote Originally Posted by neman9 View Post
    Domain Registered on 20-oct-2013, Expired on 20-oct-2014.Updated date is 01-dec-2014, what does updated date means? Does it mean, the 30 days redemption period started on 1-dec-2014? and after that a 5day deletion period etc.
    Updated date is when something changed in the domain name's WHOIS record. Based on what you described, 01-dec is likely the date the domain name switched into redemption period. Thus, count 30 days redemption then 5 days pending delete.

Good luck trying to get the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Z View Post
    Updated date is when something changed in the domain name's WHOIS record. Based on what you described, 01-dec is likely the date the domain name switched into redemption period. Thus, count 30 days redemption then 5 days pending delete.

Good luck trying to get the name.

Now that's what I consider a relevant answer to my specific question. Yes I think after 35/40 days from 1st DEC, the domain may be available for purchase again on standard rate. Thanks Dave Z and of course everyone else too.
    Last edited by neman9; 12-08-2014 at 07:35 AM.

You should go through the below links:

https://www.icann.org/resources/page...-2012-02-25-en

https://www.icann.org/resources/page...-2013-05-03-en

They have explained everything that you have asked here in the thread.
    HostRoyale Technologies-VPS / Dedicated Servers
    India - USA - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine - Germany - Luxembourg - Austria - Romania - Italy - Estonia - Finland - Australia - New Zealand
    Shared , Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation, BitCoins Accepted!

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the lapse in registration of your domain. To answer your question of when it went it into redemption and will be released please check out: https://support.godaddy.com/help/art...n-names-expire That is our life cycle for domains. Follow those numbers after the domain expired.

Kindly,

<<signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 12-09-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, LLC
    Creation Date: 20-OCT-2013
    Expiration Date: 20-OCT-2014
    Updated Date: 01-DEC-2014

Registry Status: redemptionPeriod

-----------------------------------

Hi again, the domain shouldn't go into pending delete by now? I mean 30 days of redemption have passed. Any opinion guys?

Quote Originally Posted by neman9 View Post
    Registrar: WILD WEST DOMAINS, LLC
    Creation Date: 20-OCT-2013
    Expiration Date: 20-OCT-2014
    Updated Date: 01-DEC-2014

Registry Status: redemptionPeriod

-----------------------------------

Hi again, the domain shouldn't go into pending delete by now? I mean 30 days of redemption have passed. Any opinion guys?
    Counting 30 days after the Updated Date, which is when something changes, the domain name should go into pending delete tomorrow.

Updated Date: 01-jan-2015

---------------------

Ok this is getting close. In couple of days the domain is going to be released for general availability. \o/

If you can post the domain extension we can probably even pinpoint the time of day when the domain actually drops.
    75 days between original expiry and the 5 day pendingdelete status is the normal time.

For example I just helped out a local non-profit recover their domain name which was a .cc domain.
    Their registrar wanted $300 for redemption period recovery fee.
    Expired Oct 17 and dropped this morning at about 4:25am Eastern time.
    So that is 80 days after the original expiry date on the dot cc domain and the actual time that it dropped was 4:25am Eastern. (1:25am Pacific)

If nobody tries to register the domain before you then you should be able to just register the domain. If there is any competition for the name then it's likely they will use a professional drop catching service that hammers on the system doing thousands of registration attempts per minute across hundreds of different registrars right at the time the domain is scheduled to drop and you would have no hope of registering the domain. Those drop catch services often cost about $60 at a minimum and then if there are multiple users trying to get the name then they will go to an auction process between the users who placed an order. Most of those auctions will cost $100 at minimum in any multiple bidder situation and the sky is the limit of a sought after generic term. So it would actually end up costing similar to the Godaddy redemption period price if you were using drop catch services.

.com from wildwestdomains.

$90 is actually not that much, I have seen domain registrars charge over $200. Some people pay it if they really need that domain.

I would count about 40 days from December 1st.

- Daniel

.com domains drop a predictable times. I found a paid service that generates a list of the domains in the order they will drop and generates an estimate of the exact minute it will be dropped based on that order and the rate the system has historically completed these batch operations.

I believe that .com domains drop around 12:30pm pacific time (3:30pm eastern time)

Do a search for ".com drop list" and you can find several services that publish the list of .com domains that will be dropped in the next 5 days.

If it started pendingdelete on January 1 the domain likely dropped today or maybe it will be tomorrow.

If it's not a domain someone desires then it should be available to register. If someone else grabbed it already then there is a slim chance they may only be doing domain tasting and will cancel the registration in the first 118 hours if it does not generate enough clicks. If they contact you to sell the domain do not respond in any way or they may keep it.

Good news - the domain just became available and I bought it. dholsipahi dot com. A rather stupid name in Pakistanian language but I really fall for it from day one. Too bad, I let it expire. Went through much suffering of depression and wait. I'd make sure that never ever happens again, No way.

I wish to thank all the fellows who contributed to this thread especially @Dave_Z and @QueBall. Your inputs were highly helpful. Thanks again guys.

I got to say this, If you cannot afford or don't want to afford Redemption fee, Make sure to renew your God damned domains well in time, Seriously.