Screaming for help: any alternatives to InmotionHosting or BlueHost?

Hello Everybody!

I have been planning on setting up a website. For a couple of months I have been searching the Internet for the suitable and reliable hosting provider. And every day I am drowning deeper and deeper. The deeper I go, the harder my task seems. I simply cannot find the right provider. In the evenings I choose the one, in the morning I wake up and start searching again… or should I rather say - continuing to read the horror stories about my ex-favourite provider. And here I am… screaming for help…

Yesterday I finally chose the InmotionHosting and today I chatted with their customer support officer, and to tell you the truth I totally changed my mind.

Last month I came up with some questions and contacted the live support staff. During the chat I stated that I would like to start with the Basic package of the Value Class (4 USD per month), and I was then recommended to take the Launch package of the Business Class (6.95 USD per month). Today I have started my chat from the Launch package of the Business Class described above and then they strongly recommended me to choose the Power Package (8.95 USD per month).

Their argument was that the Launch package has only 2 MYSQL databases and if I liked to use their tools I would certainly need more databases (several as the minimum). I then asked them... what if I simply used the WordPress.. They replied that I would then need even more databases. I contacted the WordPress support team and they told me I would need only 1 database. Do I actually sound so stupid or is it just the hosting business that makes me feel like this? Do they simply try their best to sell the more expensive plan? I truly considered them to be reliable and professional. But in the end I just feel that someone is trying to trick me...

I as well liked the BlueHost. But I simply don't believe in the EVERYTHING UNLIMITED being advertised on their website. Wearing too much makeup makes you seem less confident about the way you look... And these beautiful offers make me feel less confident about the true services they provide. Am I too much pessimistic?

So here I am... screaming for help! Could anyone recommend me the hosting provider that would keep the beauty tonight and tomorrow... and the day after tomorrow...

There are so many good and bad ones out there. I been hosting with lbhosting.com for few months reason i joined is you get free joomla templates, but to tell u the truth the service and customer support is outstanding which makes it even better. So hoppe that help.

I have hosting packages with the following 4 companies and each one of them is great. MDDHosting.com, EZPZHosting.co.uk, SpeedySparrow.com, and DMEHosting.com

I listed them in order of greatness.

Do they simply try their best to sell the more expensive plan?
    It certainly looks that way. Upselling is a winning marketing strategy - as long as the customer doesn't catch wind of it.

I as well liked the BlueHost. But I simply don't believe in the EVERYTHING UNLIMITED being advertised on their website. Wearing too much makeup makes you seem less confident about the way you look... And these beautiful offers make me feel less confident about the true services they provide. Am I too much pessimistic?
    I have tried their Hostmonster brand for about a year now, and while it's nothing to write home about, it's been quite a decent experience (e.g. 99.92% uptime). Of course, being priced as it is, it means you'll be sharing the server with something like 400 other customers. If you plan on hosting busy sites, it's unlikely to be the place to do it.

Erika,

Two questions for you:

1) What's a budget you are 100% without a doubt comfortable paying? Not a range but an actual figure. Please specify if it's monthly or yearly.

2) What's more important to you? Unfortunately you can only pick one:
    reliability/quality support from an established web host
    -or-
    $4.95 per month with a generous 100GB/1000GB/unlimited resources

Thank you so much everyone! I will certainly check the providers you have mentioned above. And I really hope to find someone decent.

Do they simply try their best to sell the more expensive plan?
    It certainly looks that way. Upselling is a winning marketing strategy - as long as the customer doesn't catch wind of it.
    It is a pity that they actually follow the strategy despite the fact a customer absolutely does not need the offered package.

1) What's a budget you are 100% without a doubt comfortable paying? Not a range but an actual figure. Please specify if it's monthly or yearly.

2) What's more important to you? Unfortunately you can only pick one:
    reliability/quality support from an established web host
    -or-
    I would feel comfortable about paying up to 7-8 USD on a monthly basis (up to 100 USD annually). And I care more about the reliability, quality and support aspect.

Rather be unlimited than 100gb/1000gb for $4/mo.

I then asked them... what if I simply used the WordPress.. They replied that I would then need even more databases. I contacted the WordPress support team and they told me I would need only 1 database. Do I actually sound so stupid or is it just the hosting business that makes me feel like this? Do they simply try their best to sell the more expensive plan? I truly considered them to be reliable and professional. But in the end I just feel that someone is trying to trick me...
    If you are going to be using Wordpress, you should be good on one database. Even multiple scripts can be setup on one database by using table prefix e.g. "scriptname_tables". But I'm not 100% sure if all scripts allow using db prefix.

There is nothing wrong with unlimited as long as the servers aren't too crowded. An average user does not use above a few hundred mb of space, that's why the unlimited marketing works. No one likes to be limited on resources, that's why an unlimited plan is always more appealing to the end user.

In reality you are restricted by the same cpu/memory constraints with any shared host whether unlimited or not, some might handle the unlimited crowd better than others however so choose wisely.

Which are your REAL needs in space and bandwidth at this moment?

Don't try to get the biggest package that you can get for $x , specially if your main concern is reliability. Get a package according to your needs, search for host offering them, make a shortlist, and research about them.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I would feel comfortable about paying up to 7-8 USD on a monthly basis (up to 100 USD annually). And I care more about the reliability, quality and support aspect.
    If you are looking at reliability and quality of service I would advise that you stay away from services that are going to offer you unlimited resources for $4.00 a month and or services that are offering you 1000GB for $7.00 as in general these are the same thing as one another.

Do you have any real specifics for what you wish to do, any specific features or requirements, required resources?

Sean
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

I would pay monthly and not take the plunge to annual unless you are comfortable with that host after doing monthly.

I recommend to you Medialayer , thehosted, Aspirationhosting, all very good company's.

One simple answer for you. hostGATOR!
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

I must say I am absolutely happy to join this community. I have already got many useful tips intended for further research. I would just like to add my minimum requirements for hosting:

Firstly, I have no clear idea what disc space and bandwith rate I should choose for the website that would be more likely to carry informative text: information about me, services description, pricing list, personal portfolio, clients section, a couple of add-ons for dictionaries, a couple of affiliate programs, interest area containing articles, links, and etc.

Secondly, I am looking for integration with WordPress, possibility to have not less than 5 add-on domains, URL forwarding, several MYSQL databases (preferably not less than 5), site builder together with templates, FTP access, at least daily back ups, and etc.

I also came up with a couple of new questions. What is a dedicated IP address? And would I need Fantastico?

I have checked some of the providers whom you mentioned in your posts, and I must emphasize I liked the offers of MDDHosting, DMEHosting, DownTimeHost, HostDime and TheHosted (although the last provider is little expensive, 6.50 USD a month for the 2 GB of disc space and 20 GB of bandwith).

Please, no HostGator, BlueHost, InmotionHosting, JustHost, iPage, FatCow, FastDomain, HostMonster, HostClear and other editor's top favourites
    Last edited by bear; 06-24-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Perhaps then just do a search on here on the offers section? You never know what you might find in there.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

you really do not need your own dedicated ip unless you own your own Private SSL Certificate and you would only have your own SSL certificates for accepting credit cards online.Fantastico is a auto installer that will install scripts for you. Here is a link of what scripts it will install http://www.netenberg.com/fantastico_scripts.php

Quote Originally Posted by HS-CB Matt View Post
    I have hosting packages with the following 4 companies and each one of them is great. MDDHosting.com, EZPZHosting.co.uk, SpeedySparrow.com, and DMEHosting.com

I listed them in order of greatness.

Hows the speedysparrow working out for ya?
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Quote Originally Posted by erika_elgisr View Post

I have checked some of the providers whom you mentioned in your posts, and I must emphasize I liked the offers of MDDHosting, DMEHosting, DownTimeHost, HostDime and TheHosted (although the last provider is little expensive, 6.50 USD a month for the 2 GB of disc space and 20 GB of bandwith).
    Just wanted to clarify that is DownTownHost
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I'd have a look at site5.com. Their customer support is outstanding.

So sorry for misspelling I meant DownTownHost! I guess for a moment I thought of the present economical crisis and associated it with a downtime. I was trying to correct it but couldn't access the edit option.

Hah, Jedito. Amusing Freudian slip.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.