Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PETA's Latest Tactic

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...93&format=text

Animal rights advocates will single out small children at performances of ``The Nutcracker'' in the next few weeks by handing out fliers saying ``Your Mommy Kills Animals'' to youngsters whose mothers are wearing fur.

``Children can't look up to a mom in a battered-raccoon hat or a crushed coyote collar,'' said Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. ``Maybe when they're confronted by their own children's hurt looks, fur-wearers' cold hearts will melt.''

The fliers include a color drawing of a woman plunging a large bloody knife into the belly of a terrified rabbit. The fliers urge kids to ``ask your mommy how many dead animals she killed to make her fur clothes.

``And the sooner she stops wearing fur, the sooner the animals will be safe. Until then, keep your doggie or kitty friends away from mommy - she's an animal killer.''
    Here's a copy of the flyer:

http://www.furisdead.com/mommykills300.pdf

People still wear fur?

100% in support.

That article is old, 4 days old.

I heard it around 5 days ago.
    Don't look for a way out.

Oh god that flyer is bloody, shame on the PETA :|

This is ridiculous...
    [COLOR=dark-blue]Matt Carpenter[/COLOR]
    Offer your clients a brandable FTP upload utility

Pretty obvious they care about animals but don't care squat about children.

Originally posted by is0lized
    That article is old, 4 days old.

I heard it around 5 days ago.
    Me too. But it hasn't been posted about, has it? I'm quite sure some people have not heard.

That's what "Google News" is for
    Don't look for a way out.

I put the PETA people in the same group as those that offer unlimited bandwidth.

If a racial minority such as an Inuit group were to wear fur, would PETA therefore condemn them, too? Curious - we don;t have PETA in the UK.

I do not like many things that PETA does, but I agree with this one 100%.

omg, I am all for animal welfare but PETA is too extreme

Haha, I'd be in jail for assault and battery SO FAST.

I guess I'm a minority here when I say I like leather, got leather seats in my wife's mini van Own a couple leather jackets. Not crazy about fur coats mainly because a good one is quite expensive and a bitch to clean. I like a good steak, I fish, don't hunt much but it's nothing against hunting just got other things to do than trudge thru the cold woods, though I won't turn down venison from my hunter friends though.

I guess my outlook is animals are and have been used by humans since forever, and while I don't agree with abusing an animal however a good quick kill is just part of life. For much of what we eat/use/wear something has to die, sorry if that offends someone. If you're not comfortable with it, then go vegan, quit wearing leather, most makeups, and many other products, it's YOUR conscience and if it's harmed by using animal products then do what's right by YOU and quit using them. Me personally, I'll keep on hitting Logan's on saturday afternoons for that badass 20oz porterhouse while wearing my leather jacket and sitting on my leather seats getting there And if I see a good deal on a nice fur coat my wife will be wearing one
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    Haha, I'd be in jail for assault and battery SO FAST.

I guess I'm a minority here when I say I like leather, got leather seats in my wife's mini van Own a couple leather jackets. Not crazy about fur coats mainly because a good one is quite expensive and a bitch to clean. I like a good steak, I fish, don't hunt much but it's nothing against hunting just got other things to do than trudge thru the cold woods, though I won't turn down venison from my hunter friends though.

I guess my outlook is animals are and have been used by humans since forever, and while I don't agree with abusing an animal however a good quick kill is just part of life. For much of what we eat/use/wear something has to die, sorry if that offends someone. If you're not comfortable with it, then go vegan, quit wearing leather, most makeups, and many other products, it's YOUR conscience and if it's harmed by using animal products then do what's right by YOU and quit using them. Me personally, I'll keep on hitting Logan's on saturday afternoons for that badass 20oz porterhouse while wearing my leather jacket and sitting on my leather seats getting there And if I see a good deal on a nice fur coat my wife will be wearing one
    I completely agree with every statement there ... except I go to Dakota Steakhouse for my steak.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

I just finished eating chicken wings. PETA needs to be classified as an extremist group. I've nothing against environmentalists like Greenpeace, but what I eat and what I wear is my business.

So screw you PETA and your stupid flyers.

I'm shocked all the groups against violence in the media aren't stepping up to the plate on this one. That frontpage is horrific.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

If they did that during the performance of Nutcracker, they deserve to have their nuts cracked

I totally agree with Chicken.

The person handing out the flyer would be well advised to have a good pair of Nike sneakers on, because i'm quite a fast runner.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Gotta agree with the chicken too. It's a low tactic ... but I'm not surprised. It is PETA we are talking about.

I have reason to doubt that chicken would really physically beat someone over this but I'm sure he'd give 'em a mouthful
    [COLOR=dark-blue]Matt Carpenter[/COLOR]
    Offer your clients a brandable FTP upload utility

I'd just thank the person that gave my child the flyer and kindly advise him to find a good lawyer, as mine would be contacting him within the next 24 hours to discuss the pending lawsuit. After that I'd contact PETA and tell them the same thing.

Shame on them to go after children. They're not the cause and should certainly not be exposed to this kind of propaganda.

Killing animals for luxury goods is wrong, but harming the fragile minds of young children is far worse.
    Proud member of the RIAA closed quaters combat cell !!!
    You'd better drop that CD-R before I shoot you !!!

Originally posted by JustinH
    Overprotectiveness of children certainly isn't a character flaw. Being unable to control your rage over a stupid piece of paper would not only be a character flaw, but a serious problem with your state of mind.

I can't say I'm surprised by all the "I agree with Chicken's". It's easy to say what action you would take, but a lot more difficult confronting that situation. So tell me for all the "I agree's", you think beating someone to the point of a hospital visit would have a lessor impact on your children then a silly piece of paper they probably wouldn't even get? Didn't think so...
    That's where you and I differ then. The thing is, i would class that "silly piece of paper" as an exploitation of a child's ever expanding mind.

The picture of a rabbit with a knife in it's gut is disgusting, and has no place in an adult word, let alone a child's. Children naturally love animals, so seeing one of these little critters with a knife in it, with the message that his/her parents did it, would possibly even cause the youngster to have nightmares, and develop a genuine hate for their parents, based on the vulgarity of the flyer.

I find it confusing that you would physically protect a child against physical danger, but not mental danger. In my opinion, both have the same ramifications.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

It is exactly this type of behavior that has lead to the negative image of PETA. What once was a morally minded groupd with good goals has become nothing but a bunch of extremist crackpots.

I am sure PETA has many serious members working hard to prevent animal cruelty. But this is all but over shadowed by the crazier behavior. In the long run this will only hurt PETA where it counts, monetary donations.

Originally posted by Tazzman
    I'd just thank the person that gave my child the flyer and kindly advise him to find a good lawyer, as mine would be contacting him within the next 24 hours to discuss the pending lawsuit. After that I'd contact PETA and tell them the same thing.

Shame on them to go after children. They're not the cause and should certainly not be exposed to this kind of propaganda.

Killing animals for luxury goods is wrong, but harming the fragile minds of young children is far worse.
    Well said... very well said. PETA would much rather you punched the person in the face, but a lawsuit is something they certainly don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by IHSL
    That's where you and I differ then. The thing is, i would class that "silly piece of paper" as an exploitation of a child's ever expanding mind.

The picture of a rabbit with a knife in it's gut is disgusting, and has no place in an adult word, let alone a child's. Children naturally love animals, so seeing one of these little critters with a knife in it, with the message that his/her parents did it, would possibly even cause the youngster to have nightmares, and develop a genuine hate for their parents, based on the vulgarity of the flyer.

I find it confusing that you would physically protect a child against physical danger, but not mental danger. In my opinion, both have the same ramifications.
    I would agree, it is an exploitation of a child's mind. Regardless... that isn't illegal. I think you are blowing this way out of proportion with the "genuine hate" for their parents. It's a piece of paper, once taken away, the child would easily forget about.

I would certainly protect my child both mentally and physically. If they were in physical danger, I would protect them physically. If they were in danger of mental anguish, I would simply sit down and talk to them about what that flyer means and why it doesn't apply to us and explain that the people that did this were very wrong... then I'd be calling my lawyer.

I certainly don't believe physical violence (especially in front of the child you are attempting to protect) is going to help the issue. If anything, it would multiply the problem to a much higher degree. These days children can go pick up a book that has far worse images in it then that flyer. You going to go beat up the librarian for that?
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast