New host for vBulletin forum

Hi,

I have been asked to look into a new host for a forum, as the new host we are with is having way too many issues (6 support tickets in 2 months of hosting, reporting downtime or slow down - this is without the times the slow down which had not been reported - longest time without down time or slow down was 1 week!).

The site usually has between 70-100 active 'users' (30ish members, the rest are bots / visitors).

I've been given a budget of up to £20 a month and I'm thinking a VPS may be a good option or a shared host with a high resource allowance. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

At that budget you may get decent VPS but are you comfortable to manage one? That too via the Linux Shell? Because At that price you will only get a unmanaged VPS, without cPanel. cPanel for VPS is about $15 /mo additional.

What is the average bandwidth you consume on a monthly basis?
    Last edited by Host4Geeks-Corp; 05-19-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks for the response.

Funnily enough I was looking at your site earlier today as I had read some very good feedback about your company.

I have managed a few VPS' in the past, but seeing as this is not a project of mine, I would prefer not to have to manage a VPS, so a semi-dedicated may be a better option.

On average the site is using around 50gb b/w.

Thanks again for your response.

Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ross L View Post
    Thanks for the response.

Funnily enough I was looking at your site earlier today as I had read some very good feedback about your company.

I have managed a few VPS' in the past, but seeing as this is not a project of mine, I would prefer not to have to manage a VPS, so a semi-dedicated may be a better option.

On average the site is using around 50gb b/w.

Thanks again for your response.

Ross
    Honestly speaking that you might be pretty ok with a good shared hosting package as well. 50GB bandwidth is not a lot for a Shared Hosting account.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Do you have any preferred location ? Did you check the website statistics data to know from which country max visitors came last month ?

If you know how to manage vps , you can get good unmanaged vps in this price range else you may have to raise budget for managed vps .
    Fastest . Reliable . Affordable Web Hosting by MNCHOST.COM

█ Shared | Business | Reseller : 1.Litespeed 2.Cpanel 3.Pure SSDs 4.US Support 5.Hourly Backups
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers | Premium Bandwidth | New SSD-US Servers

We seem to have an issue with CPU usage on the shared packages unfortunately (when 100 active users kicks in, it gets close to maxing out and some times maxes out). Only with our current host we don't have that issue, but the downtime is unbearable.

I'd say 95% of our traffic is from the UK.

We seem to have an issue with CPU usage on the shared packages unfortunately (when 100 active users kicks in, it gets close to maxing out and some times maxes out). Only with our current host we don't have that issue, but the downtime is unbearable.

I'd say 95% of our traffic is from the UK.
    I'd recommend a 2GB RAM VPS from tmzVPS. Comes fully managed with cPanel/WHM for $28.

I've been using them for a little over a month now after upgrading from a reseller account at a different provider, and they have been great so far. I haven't noticed any downtime, but then again I just use it for hosting a few personal projects so I don't use a monitoring service.

They also have a UK location.

Thanks for all the responses.

After discussions with the owner, they are considering Host4Geeks Semi Dedicated 'SD Plus' package. We are hoping this will give us more CPU usage than a standard shared package and enough growing room before we need to move to a VPS.

Thanks for all the responses.

After discussions with the owner, they are considering Host4Geeks Semi Dedicated 'SD Plus' package. We are hoping this will give us more CPU usage than a standard shared package and enough growing room before we need to move to a VPS.
    Thanks a ton for considering us

I am excited to have you hosted with us.
    Last edited by Host4Geeks-Corp; 05-19-2013 at 04:38 PM.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening

Have you checked knowhosts? They look better though and should be more than perfect for your needs

A shared hosting package with true quotas should be enough.

vBulletin with 70 - 100 users online at the same time can not be run on most shared hosting accounts. I'm not sure a semi-dedicated plan will work either, but its worth a try.

If you mean 70 to 100 users online in a single day, then yeah, shared hosting will work. I think that's the scenario people recommending a shared plan are thinking of. Once you get past about 30 - 40 users on line at the same time you hit up against resource limits on most shared plans.

Be prepared to move up to a VPS with at least 2 cores and at least 2 GB of RAM with cPanel installed. I ran IPB, a similar forum program, with 40 - 60 concurrent users on a 1 GB VPS, but it was pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    vBulletin with 70 - 100 users online at the same time can not be run on most shared hosting accounts. I'm not sure a semi-dedicated plan will work either, but its worth a try.

If you mean 70 to 100 users online in a single day, then yeah, shared hosting will work. I think that's the scenario people recommending a shared plan are thinking of. Once you get past about 30 - 40 users on line at the same time you hit up against resource limits on most shared plans.

Be prepared to move up to a VPS with at least 2 cores and at least 2 GB of RAM with cPanel installed. I ran IPB, a similar forum program, with 40 - 60 concurrent users on a 1 GB VPS, but it was pushing it.
    To be fair, if the downtime issues were not an issue, we would be using well under our allowance with our current host. The only time we get a spike in CPU usage is when backups are taking place:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zdsvwn.jpg

Going on those stats, I would hope that on a semi-dedicated we should have some headroom to grow before moving onto a VPS.

Its certainly worth a try. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Host4Geeks-Kushal View Post
    Thanks a ton for considering us

I am excited to have you hosted with us.
    Indeed Host4geeks is a Good Option. Kushal is Good and Highly Knowledgeable person here in Hosting Business. I hope You are happy to have him as your hosting provider.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgigs View Post
    Indeed Host4geeks is a Good Option. Kushal is Good and Highly Knowledgeable person here in Hosting Business. I hope You are happy to have him as your hosting provider.
    Thank you. Thanks a lot! Honored

I am pretty much still learning, specially when you are around industry veterans like Keith, Martin, Nick, Terry and a couple of others. You realize that you have just begun and there is still a long way to go.

I would not use shared hosting for vBulletin.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    I would not use shared hosting for vBulletin.
    I know ... but the recommendations seem to ignore the fact the OP said he has 70 - 100 users online.

At 100 concurrent users I'm not sure that even a VPS is appropriate. At that level I think you are into dedicated server territory.

The rule of thumb I've always used is that when you get above 30 - 40 concurrent users with forum software, its time to move to a VPS. But my personal experience is limited to forums between that 30 - 40 range and the OPs stated number of up to 100. It might work OK on a 2GB VPS with four cores, but I'm not sure.

Buy VPS without cPanel for that price and install Kloxo free control panel,it's easy to install and use it.You can also pay someone to do some basic protection for your VPS.

What version of vbulletin are you running?