Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DMCA Issue

Oh yes! Let's congradulate HostGator for aiding and abetting a criminal! Hooray for HostGator! I just hope that others see how many unethical individuals there are out there that support unethical activities and theivery.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by swamparoux View Post
    Oh yes! Let's congradulate HostGator for aiding and abetting a criminal! Hooray for HostGator! I just hope that others see how many unethical individuals there are out there that support unethical activities and theivery.
    How are they aiding and abetting a criminal? It's not illegal to possess a decompiler, only to use it illegally...
      0 Not allowed!

Why are you attempting to ruin the reputation of a good company?

Abusing the DMCA is not the way to go. Most people will simply delete your emails, because to them you will look like a jackass and they have seen it all before. I lose count of how many emails I've received over the years simply because someone disagrees with something.

It would be nice if you could explain how Hostgator is breaking the law, because all I see are baseless accusations.
    Last edited by Dan541; 09-20-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!
      0 Not allowed!

I have a base 64 decoder page on my site, its purpose is so people can reveal the source code of encrypted files such as Wordpress themes to ensure they are not loaded with malware before installing them on their server.

This could also be used to remove the themes credits. Its really no different than the games decompiler, its a tool plain and simple however its usage and complying with the laws/ licensing is up to the user.

Also yes, i have released numerous themes on the same site for free and i rely on the links as a form of payment. So in a sense its counter productive, but i would rather people know what they are loading on their server.

Sorry if you feel im a criminal who needs reporting.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541 View Post
    It would be nice if you could explain how Hostgator is breaking the law, because all I see are baseless accusations.
    They are violating the law of his emotional subjective moral code. LOL
      0 Not allowed!

I support hostgator for actually standing up for their users, and not bending over backwards for the rest of the internet to attack them.
      0 Not allowed!

hmm

I can't believe this useless thread is still going.

It certainly doesn't justify the bandwidth used.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Went ahead and pointed this out to HG to see how they would address it. Should be very interesting.

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

yeah mate....there must be more productive things to do in Louisiana for Swampy, than trying to fight other people's battles

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Web Master View Post
    yeah mate....there must be more productive things to do in Louisiana for Swampy, than trying to fight other people's battles

owm
    Do some of you even read or just start blasting away at ideas you don't agree with? Many are saying I am fighting another persons battles. Either these people are not reading what I write or they simply do not understand what Game Maker is.

Game Maker allows you to produce "games" and applications using it's system. The system then compiles your code in to an exe. Now, if I create a game to sell and there's a decompiler out there, then guess what? Anyone? Well, I'll tell you, people can just download my work, decompile it, and then get it for free. Therefore, as I have said multiple times before, it IS my business. It IS the business of every single individual that utilizes the Game Maker system.
      0 Not allowed!

Game Maker allows you to produce "games" and applications using it's system. The system then compiles your code in to an exe. Now, if I create a game to sell and there's a decompiler out there, then guess what? Anyone? Well, I'll tell you, people can just download my work, decompile it, and then get it for free. Therefore, as I have said multiple times before, it IS my business. It IS the business of every single individual that utilizes the Game Maker system.
    But even if you do remove it from hostgator it can easily be hosted offshore, or torrented. This moral argument is completely pointless. Everything you create digitally can be ripped off. Nothing is safe, its pointless worrying about it. Recently a massive game, Spore with the most intrusive DRM and protection to date was cracked on release data. Its not just limited to the real world, everything you create in the real world can be ripped off, its a fact of life.

I suggest if you are really unhappy about hostgators actions talk to a lawyer, they will probably tell you what hostgator has said. Its not like hostgator doesn't take legal advise on these things...
      0 Not allowed!

I just hope that others see how many unethical individuals there are out there that support unethical activities and theivery.
    As one of those unethical individuals you fighting against, may I ask you once again whether or not you've in your lifetime created something worth decompiling, stealing and / or protecting? Do you actually know how it feels to be an author of whatsoever useful?

I'm a writer, I live from it. I know a few sites when you can read or download the digitalised texts of my books. Nobody has asked my permission to place my texts on these sites. Have I tuned 'the criminals' in? No. I also don't consider these people as criminals, unethical individuals or whatsoever. As far as they are not charging their readers for my texts, it's even doesn't bother me. If they'll sell it, i'd not be that happy, but I would not turn anybody in. Why? Why lower myself?

Am I standalone noncommercial idiot? I don't think so. Paulo Coelho even places links to the sites where you can download his books for free. Tons of writers are doing such or similar things.

Think about a library. Millions are reading books via the libraries, while writers are not getting a cent for it. What should a writer do? Sue the government? Go crazy? No, I'm glad folks reading books, it's good, it's part of our culture.

Man, do you really think that those who are not with you, are really shady elements, criminals, unethical elements etc? That would mean that the overwhelming majority of all mankind are the bad guys and should be turned in by you. Do you really enjoy turning somebody in? Because that actually could be clinical.

sash
    Last edited by sash; 09-20-2008 at 01:56 PM.
    kept alive by vertaalbureau
      0 Not allowed!

Once again, please read what I write before you start asking questions or making assumptions about me. As I have answered before, NO I do not get joy out of turning people in. Some of you are the ones that really need to get your head checked. Because someone like me doesn't believe in something, you want to tear them apart then consider they have psychological issues.

The tables could be easily turned. What about all of you that think this stuff is OK. Could you be considered to have "clinical issues"? Could you be a possible celpto with dorment tendencies?

sash, just because I choose to act on something I think is unethical does not lower myself. Based upon your analogy, then every person that has ever called the anonymous hotline to turn some druggie in has lowered theirself. Every NARC that has ever worked in law enforcement has only lowered theirself. I think you are the one that really needs to see Dr. Phil.
      0 Not allowed!

No, no it isn't. You seem to be the one intent upon "blasting away" because we aren't agreeing with you. You DID NOT CREATE GAME MAKER. You created a game using Game Maker, meaning unless this particular person is saying; "Hey, this decompiler is great for reverse engineering Swamparoux's game, here's the DL for his game, let's destroy any work he's done!" you have NO SAY. How about a link to this individual's blog? You seem pretty intent upon only providing minimal information in the hopes that it will aide your view of things.

Here's a great question, you keep saying "if I create a game to sell", we've established that you did in fact make a game, but are you selling it? Can you prove that this decompiler is damaging your profits? You have no legal rights until it directly influences your creation, until that time you need to COMPREHEND what everyone has been telling you. You can pester the creator of Game Maker all you want, boycott the decompiler, post unintelligible blog posts and rant all day, but you have no right to file a DMCA notice until it directly influences your profits or creations.

The creator of Game Maker is legally able to do something about this, you are not, get over it and yourself.

A moderator needs to change the title of this thread and close it. Then samparoux needs to go do some research about DMCA violations and maybe dig into some layman information about his rights.

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

How about a link to this individual's blog?
    +1 to that
      0 Not allowed!

Based upon your analogy, then every person that has ever called the anonymous hotline to turn some druggie in has lowered theirself.
    Why would anybody want to turn in a druggie?! He's ill, but not a criminal! Man...

Every NARC that has ever worked in law enforcement has only lowered theirself.
    Are you with the law enforcement? If you are, than way to go. You've got special training, you know the law, you're fighting things that are really harmful for people.

But in reality you are just spidermanning around, targeting for an unclear reason innocent people (presumption of innocence).

I think you are the one that really needs to see Dr. Phil.
    Bad show, I don't watch such crap.

sash
    Last edited by sash; 09-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Because someone like me doesn't believe in something, you want to tear them apart then consider they have psychological issues.

The tables could be easily turned. What about all of you that think this stuff is OK. Could you be considered to have "clinical issues"? Could you be a possible celpto with dorment tendencies?

sash, just because I choose to act on something I think is unethical does not lower myself. Based upon your analogy, then every person that has ever called the anonymous hotline to turn some druggie in has lowered theirself. Every NARC that has ever worked in law enforcement has only lowered theirself. I think you are the one that really needs to see Dr. Phil.

Hypocrite much? You seem to be intent upon turning on anyone who doesn't share your opinion on this.

Since when is you complaining, moaning and arguing about a decompiler as noble as someone informing for the police or tipping off law enforcement to drug dealers? You are taking an analogy and applying it in a place that has no relevance, straw man argument anyone?

Have you stopped to consider that you may be wrong? Doubtful.

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

Some of you are the ones that really need to get your head checked.
    Look, an author helping folks in finding and downloading his work for free (thus loosing money): http://paulocoelhoblog.com/

Man, you're 27, so no kid anymore. Want help the mankind? Go to your local nursing home, help elderly, do something really useful and good!

sash
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    A moderator needs to change the title of this thread and close it.
    -fin
    Thales
    Agreed.

The present title's about as creative as the guy who invented the square wheel.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.
      0 Not allowed!

In the time you spent complaining about someone being able to reverse engineer your simplistic game you could have begun learning a programming language to design a game from scratch.

What disgusts me is that this guy seems incapable of just dropping it. HG is not going to listen to you, we aren't going to listen to you. HG is in the legal and moral right; legally they can't shut him down because he hasn't done anything wrong and you have no right to demand they do, morally they have the responsibility to support their customer. You are wrong, please move on. Go volunteer at a hospice, hunt down pedophiles online or donate some blood and quit cluttering this forum with your complaining.

-fin
    Thales
      0 Not allowed!

I second the motion to change the subject of this thread. I see no need for HostGator's good name to come up associated with scum like this in Internet searches and the like. Of course, one could read the thread to understand what is going on, but many won't. So please change the subject.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com
      0 Not allowed!

Well, I don't see the constructive use to characterizing anyone as "scum" or the like. swamparoux may in practical terms be ignorant and misguided, but those are observations of his behavior, not negative labels of his character. Nothing good is accomplished by confusing behavior with character.

That said, swamparoux, you have replied to this thread many times, and you keep saying the same thing every time. We all get your point. We all know your position. Please understand it is others' right to post to this thread and share their opinion as well. Just because they don't agree with you does not mean you have to keep replying to pick their logic apart according to your view, and repeat your same opinion again and again and again. We know you don't agree.

Your position has been stated. There is no need to keep repeating it.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Your position has been stated. There is no need to keep repeating it.
    ... and on that note.

</thread>

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123