Not using your real info?

Hello!

I need a little advice.

I have a few potential customers who want to sign up for web-hosting, who are personal friends, but do not want to sign up with their personal contact info.

Now, Should I allow it, is there any legal consequences to it?

Would it be a bad move, regardless if it's a personal friend?

What about someone I don't know?

I know there is a risk for people signing up with false info, and abusing my servers.

But what's stopping someone from false-registration anyways?

Thanks.

you should check it manually..

I mean by phone call before you approve their account.

I suggest you should have your client's real personal info, if their something wrong you can sue him or someone sue you.
    "Knowledge is power..." (Sir Francis Bacon)

if you're concerned, just provide the hosting. let them register their domain somewhere else.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

I would not knowingly allow clients (friends or not) to signup with false information. Why do they need to provide false information? I would suspect for no good.

As for people you don't know providing false info, what types of payments to you accept. Credit cards, checks, etc. Short of collecting photo ID, you just need due diligence. Use AVS for credit card transactions. If paying by checks, match the check address to what they provided you. It's far from perfect, but it's a start.

Originally posted by CD BURNT
    if you're concerned, just provide the hosting. let them register their domain somewhere else.
    Provided that I do do that, and I DO provide them hosting. And they spam or any other means of abuse, regardless of where that domain name is purchased, I'll be the target for legal action as I'm the host. That wouldn't be a good move, personally from what I know.

Originally posted by svdorr
    I would not knowingly allow clients (friends or not) to signup with false information. Why do they need to provide false information? I would suspect for no good.

As for people you don't know providing false info, what types of payments to you accept. Credit cards, checks, etc. Short of collecting photo ID, you just need due diligence. Use AVS for credit card transactions. If paying by checks, match the check address to what they provided you. It's far from perfect, but it's a start.
    I think that issue is pretty tricky.

When I registered my domains through GoDaddy, I got spammed via US-MAil, and I think the Identity theft craze is booming more than anything.

Them asking not to sign up with their personal information, may be a defense against identity theft, because you never know when an ex-customer will get a personal vendetta against you and do anything to cause you damage.

It's just a real confusing issue for me.

Re: Not using your real info?

Originally posted by ScreamingEaglePC
    I have a few potential customers who want to sign up for web-hosting, who are personal friends, but do not want to sign up with their personal contact info.
    I'm confused. These are personal friends? And yet you are concerned about server abuse? If so, I would re-evaluate your definition of "friends"...

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Re: Re: Not using your real info?

Originally posted by vito
    I'm confused. These are personal friends? And yet you are concerned about server abuse? If so, I would re-evaluate your definition of "friends"...

Vito
    Hello!

I need a little advice.

Now, Should I allow it, is there any legal consequences to it?

Would it be a bad move, regardless if it's a personal friend?

I know there is a risk for people signing up with false info, and abusing my servers.

But what's stopping someone from false-registration anyways?

Thanks.

I think that issue is pretty tricky.

When I registered my domains through GoDaddy, I got spammed via US-MAil, and I think the Identity theft craze is booming more than anything.

Them asking not to sign up with their personal information, may be a defense against identity theft, because you never know when an ex-customer will get a personal vendetta against you and do anything to cause you damage.

It's just a real confusing issue for me.
    Using false information is not the answer. Would you go to your local bank for a car loan and provide false information? Not if you like staying out of jail.

I agree identity theft is on the rise and there is no single way to prevent it. The people that collect this type of information for their business must properly secure that information. There are many tools now available to protect you. Virtual once time use credit card numbers, credit inquiry notification, the ability to electronically monitor your personal accounts in order to more quickly identify fraud.

If your concerned about some vendetta, don't you think you could be more prone to this by accepting clients under false identities?

Point taken. I (incorrectly) assumed you were referring to your friends.

Still, you should wonder why your friends (or anyone) would want to use false info. A red flag should go up right away for you.

As others have said, don't get mixed up with customers who intentionally post false info. No good can come of it. No valid reason for it. In essence, you're just a train wreck waiting to happen.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I see no valid reason let them post inaccurate info. Your friends should have nothing to hide. After all, they know you and trust you. Anyone else should definitely post accurate info because they're signing a contract.

Thanks! I think I have my judgement on the issue now

Much appreciated guys!

I suppose you have told them about private whois options?

like http://registerfly.com/protectfly/
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

Originally posted by CD Burnt
    I suppose you have told them about private whois options?

like http://registerfly.com/protectfly/
    Like I stated above to your recent post:

Provided that I do do that, and I DO provide them hosting. And they spam or any other means of abuse, regardless of where that domain name is purchased, I'll be the target for legal action as I'm the host. That wouldn't be a good move, personally from what I know.
    In other words. It isn't gonna matter where they buy their domain at, or whether it's private WhoIS lookup or not.

If they do something illegal on my server, it's my butt, not their domain providers.

Thank you though, I do appreciate your input, sir!

If they are your friends they shouldn't be doing anything illegal.

To protect their info from the public use some whois protection mechanism.

Originally posted by eehost
    If they are your friends they shouldn't be doing anything illegal.

To protect their info from the public use some whois protection mechanism.
    Thanks for your input, I'll take that into consideration.

Have a good one.

Godaddy is the reason I get 1/2 the spam I get.

As a test I registered some domains with this email

domainsreg_mail@domaingoeshere.com

sure enough I started getting tons of spam. I even called GoDaddy, they claimed people get the emails from the WHOIS.
    EuroVPS - Europe's Fully Managed Hosting
    Established 2004 - The European Hosting Authority

If you know them ... I don't see a problem (unless they don't trust you). Unless you're giving or selling your client's information to a 3rd party, whats the problem?

I mean.. ask yourself this. Would you accept 5 orders from John Doe just because they paid?

Granted they "won't abuse" and all, but still. What's wrong with using their information if:
    A) You already know it ...
    B) They won't abuse
    C) They have nothing to worry about if you don't sell the information.

PS - Watch your order form, my name is John Doe and I just like to send a lot of emails. They're not spam, I promise!

My 2 cents.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Originally posted by RefreshNet
    If you know them ... I don't see a problem (unless they don't trust you). Unless you're giving or selling your client's information to a 3rd party, whats the problem?

I mean.. ask yourself this. Would you accept 5 orders from John Doe just because they paid?

Granted they "won't abuse" and all, but still. What's wrong with using their information if:
    A) You already know it ...
    B) They won't abuse
    C) They have nothing to worry about if you don't sell the information.

PS - Watch your order form, my name is John Doe and I just like to send a lot of emails. They're not spam, I promise!

My 2 cents.
    LOL, Ok Mr funny Man!

Just kidding of course

Thank you for your input though, RefreshNet.

All this time, and never have caught your name

Douglas.