Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stupid Termination Reason? Only with burstnet

I am not saying this post for you to say "I'm childish" or whatever more to show the childish attidues (imo) of burstnet. During the down time everyone was warning their AIM support. I stupidly didn't do anonymously and they terminated my account for using the warn feature on AIM. I don't know or care what you think. As far as I see this is a very stupid reason to terminate an account. I could understand suspension untill an apology was made. But full termination just looks bad after the network and cPanel issues. Basically. Stay away from burstnet. No one else has been terminated for this as far as I can tell. I feel that they're using me as an escape goat.

Warning them was childish as well, no? What did it accomplish? I know you addressed this in the first line of your post, but why didja do it?
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

By terminating your account, they have given you the final nudge you need to find a better, more reliable hosting provider.

I understand your frustration at the time - maybe what you did wasn't the best thing to do, but at least now you can cut your losses and move on.

Originally posted by thedavid
    What did it accomplish?
    It took Burst's AIM account offline according to http://forums.burst.net/showthread.php?threadid=2475. Yeah, I'd say that's childish.

Oh, and what's an "escape goat"?

Gee, you took their support AIM ID offline and you can't figure out why they got ticked at you?

I see both sides here.

Yeah...all you did was warn them, lame to terminate an account..

On the other hand...

You prevented people from contacting them...you made their AIM service unavailable to their customers.

Im gonna side with burst here and say...
    You deserved it.

I infact only increased it by 10%

Originally posted by iHostBox
    I infact only increased it by 10%
    Why didja do it at all? I know you were frustrated, but affecting their only method of communication wasn't cool.

I see this as the same as if you knew of a way to take their perldesk helpdesk offline, and did so.

Why does burstnet rely so much on a
    *free* 3rd party service like AIM to support their paying clients?

Originally posted by delo-
    It's not free - they apparently pay for an AOL account:

http://members.aol.com/burstnet/

Should they have an offsite server for helpdesk stuff? Perhaps, but that's not really the point..

My bad then. Ignore my earlier post

-delo

Why is burstnet rely so much on a
    *free* 3rd party service like AIM to support their clients?
    Burst.Net aside: Why not? In addition to tradition communication if I could afford to man an msn, aim, jabber, icq post 24/7 then its an excellent supplementary (sp?) idea, not all customers prefer the old telephone/email (although probably more effective).

I think its a great idea to use all methods you can to support you client base. But i would be a little more hesitant to terminate a client for increasing my warning level even if it did block the AIM support all together but that is just me. But as always we are only hearing one side of the story and I am sure BurstNet has more then a good enough reason besides the AIM warnings.

Originally posted by delo-
    Because a lot of customers request it? I remember seeing a lot of posts in the web hosting requests forum (back in the old days) where they would post, IM support is a must or preferable, etc.

I don't understand why he/she issued warnings on AIM to BurstNet. I believe the warning feature was implemented by AIM to be used against abusive people, etc and not to warn the support personnel that their network/services are not up to par?

In short, you contributed to the shutting down of their communications service for no valid reason (probably at a time when they needed it most, since most clients would have been attempting to contact support in everyway possible to figure out the cause of downtime and an ETA on restoration of the network and services). They decided to pull the plug on your communication service, a server in this case.

Fair game if you ask me!

Re: Stupid Termination Reason? Only with burstnet

Originally posted by iHostBox
    I am not saying this post for you to say "I'm childish" or whatever more to show the childish attidues (imo) of burstnet. During the down time everyone was warning their AIM support. I stupidly didn't do anonymously and they terminated my account for using the warn feature on AIM. I don't know or care what you think. As far as I see this is a very stupid reason to terminate an account. I could understand suspension untill an apology was made. But full termination just looks bad after the network and cPanel issues. Basically. Stay away from burstnet. No one else has been terminated for this as far as I can tell. I feel that they're using me as an escape goat.

Good... hats off to BurstNET!!!

Sirius

Another thought that came to mind...

If I was your hosting customer, and I was not at all happy with your service/support/whatever, would I be justified in warning you, leading to an eventual ban off of WHT?

Seems like the above would be justifiable according to you based on your comments!

Thumbs down

If you prank called my support line, forcing technicians to deal with your calls instead of those from customers with legitimate questions, I would be upset. That sort of action might lead to a decision not to continue doing business with you.

Whether or not AIM is an online tool that you use to talk to your girlfriend while at work, it's still a mechanism they employ for official contact with customers (so I hear.) That being the case, people who warned their AIM support account were doing a disservice to other BurstNet customers.

If you examine your agreement, you may find that you have legal options available to you if you were improperly terminated; however, I think most people would agree that you brought this upon yourself. :-(
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Its his own fault, Why warn them.. what does that acomplish? it is a support rep not the person responsible for their network and/or problems.. I would of done the same thing, i hope there is a nice thing in their aup to terminate ur server without refund.. You didn't help the problem, you just helped them go to 100% warning level and become unable to help other customers. You wonder why u were terminated????

Yep I'da canceled you too.

Problems and downside aside that was uncalled for and not at all any solution nor part of the solution, it was just childish and getting the account warned into uselessness just served to further make it difficult to get the support you were apparently pissed at not getting.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

What was the point of warning them? Its not going to get the network up.

Hi!

I think is wrong of you to abuse their AIM... you might have prevent other cust contracting and getting updated informatiom from them via AIM when their . Anyway move on and find another host which you think is better.

"Escape Goat"

That's great!

Man! WHT is killin' me today!

I would like an escape goat too, please. I hear they eat less than regular goats? b-a-a-a-a-a

Bailey

I know its already been said, but I think Burst had every right to stop your account. I would have done the same. Its a blatant abuse of the system that is put into place to help people.
    · Shared Hosting - Servers in the US and the UK
    · Reseller Plans - For ultimate reliability
    · WebAttention.net - Hosting made easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast