Windows 2000 AS ...apache or IIS...exchange or other mail server?

Any Windows 2000 hosts out there? Do you use apache or IIS? if so which is better in your opinion. I know apache is optimized for *nix based systems. Also do you use exchange or another mail gateway, personally I am looking for something with webmail capabilites and POP/STMP/IMAP.

Also any good win2k CPs?
    I know ensim and hosting controller...anyone know of others...possibly ones relatively cheap too?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by neonlexx; 07-04-2002 at 01:07 AM.

We use IIS & iMail at the minute....

you could try mailenable.com which is suppose to be superb, only the free version is available at the minute but it does everything you need ( except webmail )

As for windows CP's, there arent that many, and what there is available is either a hack or kak

we're currently using hostingcontroller.com but will be upgrading big style to webhostautomation.com once its released next month.....

other than that i havent seen anything to brag about....

Cheers,
    Jonny b
    http://www.vibus.net
    UK Reseller, Dedicated & Collocation Accounts

If you are going to be using W2K, you may as well use IIS. The one reason to go with W2K is because of it's ASP or .NET functionality so stick with .NET.

Ensim is a great CP for Windows and Merak Mail (icewarp.com) is a great mail program with a web interface.

Hope that helps!
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

I would definitely...

..stick with IIS on a Win2k box....

as for a mail alternative, if you're looking for a low cost alternative give argosoft a try.

-mat
    WebserverCP.NET
    - A Full Featured Windows 2000 Server Hosting Control Panel... "simple but effective"

Why do we need a mail server ? the virtual SMTP under IIS is not good enough ? (just for SMTP)

I dont think..

Why do we need a mail server ? the virtual SMTP under IIS is not good enough ? (just for SMTP)
    I dont believe it does POP

-mat
    WebserverCP.NET
    - A Full Featured Windows 2000 Server Hosting Control Panel... "simple but effective"

mailenable is a good one. The standard version is free and the pro version coming out soon has an excellent web interface.

It doesn't have the imap service though the POP3 and SMTP should be enough.
    Last edited by Adam_S; 07-04-2002 at 10:02 PM.

can I install MailEnable to those web hosting that dun support smtp?

Not sure what you mean. You asking if mailenable can be installed without SMTP?

if I am not mistaken, MailEnable is a software to install in server so that it will function as pop and smtp mail server. correct me if I am wrong here.

So, my question is, some of the web hosting plans only have pop email feature, they do not have smtp for us to retrieve email using MS Outlook. So, can I install MailEnable into my own web space in their server in order to use smtp feature?

Thats just a security measure. For mail to be sent to and from the server SMTP is necessary.

MailEnable will disallow relaying much like any other mail server.

We at Cyber World use IIS 5 in Windows 2000 - stick with what's native.

For e-mail, we use VOPMail, which has everything you talk about (webmail, POP/SMTP/IMAP). The webmail's also written in ASP, which lets you modify it a great deal (we've added a few options of our own since getting the program, which was pretty easy once you got the hang of the components).

IIS5 has SMTP but no POP; if I recall, the upcoming .NET Server will have POP3 included. I've never personally used Exchange so I won't comment on it.

For control panels, well, we wrote our own.

Mike

Cool Win2k Mail Server

Imail Server from Ipswitch.com Gives you pop,smtp,Imap,Webmail

not too expensive