Someone care to share....

Thank you for all your informative responses regarding my earlier post about our site appearence in different browsers. After tedious code cleanup and adjusting the site so it conforms to all the different browsers out there, we finally have a clean, error free Florida Keys News site. =) Which brings me to my question.

floridakeysnews.info is a printed and online version of our local news from Key Largo to Key West. I would love to include a column online called Geek Speak or something like it, which would include articles on Smart Surfing, Safe Internet, Webdesign, Sick Computer, etc., etc., . I suppose I can't simply publish someone elses article without the hassle of contacting the author and getting permission bla bla. So I'm wondering if any of you brilliant minds have articles you would like to share with our local readers? Of course you would get full credit and you certainly can include your url's. If you think this is a good/bad idea for our news site let me know.

Anxious to hear your comments,
    Holly

Ahh, it's so nice to come to a site and not have to point out mounds of non-code that could potentially disrupt the presentation of a site. Very nice - loads fast (almost no images) but still has a pleasing look. Great work, Holly!

It is rarely a bad idea to solicit stories, articles and columns from various sources. The only issue you may run into is one of credibility. You may not be proficient in the realm that a guest columnist is writing, and you may discover later (after a little feedback) that you've misinformed a lot of people.

This is a common concern with any print/Web publication, and there are ways to deal with this. Check credentials before accepting just anything from anyone. Do a quick fact check on the article presented. Clearly position the writing as an independent work, and maybe invite comments and criticism. Just be aware this is something to think about.

That being said, I would be happy to contribute a little something here and there. Since this is both a print and online publication, can you give desired word counts, topics of interest, etc.?

Oh yes, one other thing. I get a little funny about code validation. If I have one or two items that are showing up as not-valid, it irks me a little (except in the HTML code for Flash - I just don't bother making it valid ). If this sort of thing bothers you too, you have exactly one element in your entire site that doesn't validate, and it is very easy to fix.

Color in the <hr> tag is a deprecated attribute. Besides the fact that not all browsers support it, you can exercise better control over your site by styling <hr> in your CSS. A lot of people believe this cannot be done well universally, but it can! Here's how:

Instead of <hr color="#427510" size="1">, try

hr { background:#427510 ; border:none ; color:#427510 ; height:1px }

That will pretty much pick up everyone. The border:none is for Opera, BTW. Try it without that and test it - you'll see what I mean

HTH!

Paul H
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Paul,

First, thank you for the compliment. That just made my day

Second,
    Check credentials before accepting just anything from anyone. Do a quick fact check on the article presented. Clearly position the writing as an independent work, and maybe invite comments and criticism.
    This is great advice and much appreciated.

Also to your question regarding word counts and topics, unfortunatley I can only submit articles for print and hope Dave Whitney(the editor/publisher) publishes it. However, I have total control of what's published on the site.

Finally, Woohoo....I am so happy to finally see w3.org's icon page. That has been bothering me to no end. I can't believe I never thought to implement css for <hr>. I applaud you.

Thanks again Paul,
    Holly

News?

Hi -
    I'm not sure if this would suit your needs or not,
    but there are perl / cgi scripts that can 'collect' news
    from other sources and then display on your site.

Try doing a search & see if there's anything that
    could help - maybe they'd enable you to specify the
    content / scope of the articles, as well.

Good luck,
    El

I, too, like the layout/design. Very clean. If I may, I think if you changed to a sans serif font and added some table padding, you could make it look even better.

Regards,
    Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood