Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Servage.net Review : Is every shared hosting with Unlimited offers a fraud ?

Hello,

I am trying to find a reliable shared host and wanted to share my pre-sales experience with Servage.net, except being shaddy in their ToS, the agent runs away at the end !

Maybe you will all say that their TOS allows them to do this, but read this carefully, how legal is to refer to an "Agreed Usage" when there is no such policy set anywhere ???

Isn't this fraud ????

20:08:28 Thank you for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly...
    20:08:37 Operator Martin - Servage support joined the chat
    20:08:46 Martin - Servage support: Hello, Welcome to live support of Servageone webhosting.
    20:08:57 Henry: hi
    20:09:09 Henry: i am interested for your web hosting services
    20:09:29 Henry: i've seen the unmetered offer and want more info on the limits, nothing seems visible even on TOS
    20:10:32 Martin - Servage support: hXXps://www.servage.net/wiki/Limits
    20:10:52 Martin - Servage support: hXXps://www.servage.net/wiki/Horde_limit
    20:12:48 Henry: i see all limit are for sql and ram and cpu
    20:13:22 Henry: i need no mass email or execution of things that load cpu or db, so it wont be issue for the limits you show me
    20:13:41 Henry: my main concern is about disk max limit
    20:14:56 Martin - Servage support: Please elaborate your query.
    20:15:14 Henry: how much data can i store
    20:15:34 Henry: disk quota
    20:15:41 Henry: you say unlimited
    20:15:56 Henry: but no host ever was true about unlimited disks...
    20:16:06 Henry: are you really unlimited ?
    20:17:43 Henry: here ?
    20:18:35 Henry: hello ?
    20:19:51 Martin - Servage support: Yes, you can use unlimited space only for your website content and not for any backup.
    20:20:17 Henry: what mean website content
    20:21:46 Martin - Servage support: Website files etc.
    20:22:02 Henry: ok, so lets see for real my case
    20:22:35 Henry: I have a site offering stock photography content for sale, which is owned and uploaded/moderated by third party partners
    20:23:01 Henry: so, all the files are crucial / integrated part of my site, right ?
    20:23:24 Henry: there is no copyright issue, all partners get paid monthly their share and have contract with my company
    20:23:42 Henry: so, in terms of legitimacy and relation to the site, my content is fine
    20:23:53 Henry: so there is nothing against your terms
    20:24:33 Martin - Servage support: hXXps://secure.servage.net/legal/terms_of_service/
    20:24:34 Henry: i need no email service (at least not for spam or "newsletter"), only emails sent are for register new user or for purchase receipt or for forgot pass etc...
    20:24:38 Henry: normal things i mean
    20:24:50 Henry: also there's no db or cpu abuse
    20:25:36 Henry: so, realistic point of view, there's no reason you should not host me, except BIG size in disk...
    20:25:56 Henry: all providers say unlimited, but they are all a scam when time comes to give what they promise
    20:26:09 Henry: thats why i chat here, to avoid moving in and out again...
    20:26:28 Henry: our total size at the moment is 250 GB
    20:26:42 Henry: do you offer really unlimited or not for my case ?
    20:28:07 Martin - Servage support: Currently we do not provide this much amount of space in our service
    20:29:45 Martin - Servage support: Is there anything else I can assist you with ?
    20:31:34 Henry: Bandwidth and Disk Usage
    Customer agrees that bandwidth and disk usage shall be used on a fair use policy base. Sites that consume very high badwidth or diskspace resources on a regular basis period will be disabled and client must look for another Web hosting provider to accommodate those high resources needs. Servage will monitor Customers bandwidth and disk usage. Servage shall have the right to take corrective action if Customers bandwidth or disk usage exceeds the Agreed Usage. Such corrective action may include the assessment of additional charges, disconnection or discontinuance of any and all Services, or termination of this Agreement, which actions may be taken is in Servages sole and absolute discretion. If Servage takes any corrective action under this section, Customer shall not be entitled to a refund of any fees paid in advance prior to such action. Disk space is intended for normal, webhosting related use only, and is limited to Web files, e-mail and content of the hosted Web sites, not for storage of media or other data. Disk space may not be used as offsite storage (e.g. remote backups) for electronic files or for third party electronic mail or FTP hosts.
    20:32:31 Henry: according to your contract terms, there is no set limit, while you still mention a "limit" there...
    20:32:56 Henry: Servage shall have the right to take corrective action if Customers bandwidth or disk usage exceeds the Agreed Usage.
    20:33:06 Henry: what is the "Agreed Usage" ???
    20:33:29 Henry: you say you dont provide this disk size...
    20:33:39 Henry: but i see nowhere clearly what are your intentions
    20:33:48 Henry: do you host only wannabe sites and failures ?
    20:33:57 Henry: is this the clientelle you expect to serve ?
    20:34:29 Martin - Servage support: hXXps://www.servage.net/wiki/Why_VPS
    20:34:47 Martin - Servage support: hXXps://www.servage.net/wiki/VPS_technical
    20:35:41 Henry: do you think you really answer anything with posting links Martin ?
    20:36:04 Henry: or you think the way you handle presales clients is optimal to go public as review of the company in wht forum ?
    20:38:39 Martin - Servage support: Yes, we do support all type of sites
    20:38:48 Operator Martin - Servage support left the chat

This is one reason why I'm not a big fan of the "unlimited" sales pitch myself. With that said, you can't really expect any host to offer 250GB of storage for $3/mo., any host (limited or unlimited) will have an issue with that usage.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Poor Martin. I don't their policy is shady much less fraud.

He stated to that disk space is based on a fair usage policy. No reasonable person would consider 250GB "fair". What are you hosting that is 250GB? That's larger than the hard drive in my home computer.

here's an update, another agent says exactly the contrary, now they can host me even if I have 2 TeraBytes of data !!!

what's your opinion guys ???

is this fraud or not ?

21:47:00 Thank you for contacting us. An operator will be with you shortly...
    21:47:34 Operator Harold - Servage support joined the chat
    21:47:40 Harold - Servage support: Hello, how may I help you?
    21:47:49 Visitor: hello Harold
    21:48:01 Harold - Servage support: hello
    21:48:28 Visitor: I am interested to find out more info about your shared hosting services and the real limits enforced, as I don't fall for the "unlimited" scheme
    21:48:57 Harold - Servage support: please let me know your questions
    21:49:39 Visitor: what is the limit in disk space you enforce and consider the client no more can stay with you ?
    21:50:10 Harold - Servage support: you can store unlimited files to your account
    21:50:30 Harold - Servage support: it depends on the server space until which you can upload
    21:50:44 Harold - Servage support: if the server space is full client cannot upload files
    21:51:44 Visitor: that does not make sense, so you say you put thousands of clients on a server and who takes the space first keeps it ?
    21:52:15 Harold - Servage support: you can host unlimited files
    21:52:44 Harold - Servage support: if the server space is full you cannot upload files our admins have to free up space
    21:53:22 Visitor: unlimited is just a word, physical server limits are a reality
    21:53:33 Harold - Servage support: yes they are
    21:53:41 Visitor: so you allow any client to fill up the server until its exhausted ?
    21:53:50 Harold - Servage support: yes
    21:54:13 Visitor: is there any MAX limit that gets the client kicked-out ?
    21:54:33 Harold - Servage support: your account will not get terminated
    21:54:51 Harold - Servage support: our admin will free up space if the server exceeds it space
    21:55:19 Visitor: this means they will delete my files or other tenants files ?
    21:55:28 Harold - Servage support: no
    21:58:25 Visitor: ok, so lets see for real my case
    21:58:39 Visitor: I have a site offering stock photography content for sale, which is owned and uploaded/moderated by third party partners
    21:58:56 Visitor: so, all the files are crucial / integrated part of my site
    21:59:07 Visitor: there is no copyright issue, all partners get paid monthly their share and have contract with my company
    21:59:24 Visitor: so, in terms of legitimacy and relation to the site, my content is fine
    21:59:24 Harold - Servage support: ok thats good
    21:59:45 Visitor: i need no email service (at least not for spam or "newsletter"), only emails sent are for register new user or for purchase receipt or for forgot pass etc...
    21:59:55 Visitor: also there's no db or cpu abuse
    22:00:08 Visitor: so, realistic point of view, there's no reason you should not host me, except BIG size in disk...
    22:00:20 Visitor: all providers say unlimited, but they are all a scam when time comes to give what they promise
    22:00:28 Harold - Servage support: yes we can host your site
    22:00:29 Visitor: thats why i chat here, to avoid moving in and out again...
    22:00:44 Visitor: our total size at the moment is 250 GB
    22:00:56 Harold - Servage support: you can host the account with us
    22:02:05 Visitor: ok, so the current size is not a problem for you, but we scale up fast...
    22:02:25 Visitor: we are on business 6 months now, until end of 2014, we might grow up to 500 GB...
    22:02:41 Harold - Servage support: yes it is not a problem
    22:02:47 Visitor: shall we feel safe to host with you or there will be an enforced limit at some point ?
    22:03:10 Harold - Servage support: yes you can host your site
    22:03:23 Visitor: up to which max size ?
    22:03:39 Harold - Servage support: you can upload unlimited files
    22:03:46 Harold - Servage support: to your account
    22:04:06 Visitor: even after 3 years when we reach size over 2 Terabytes, you will still be able to host us on shared hosting for the price of 2.95 usd per month ?
    22:04:32 Harold - Servage support: yes
    22:04:58 Visitor: ok, cool
    22:05:04 Visitor: what about backups ?
    22:05:17 Visitor: do you keep any type of backups for the tenants ?
    22:05:27 Harold - Servage support: we do not keep backup of our client's
    22:05:39 Harold - Servage support: data
    22:05:43 Visitor: cpanel does allow backups though
    22:06:00 Harold - Servage support: it is not supported on our control panel
    22:06:00 Visitor: can i create backups and keep them on my account ?
    22:06:32 Harold - Servage support: no as per our policy you can keep backup of your account in control panel
    22:07:41 Visitor: thats not clear, can I keep or not backups there ?
    22:07:58 Harold - Servage support: sorry for the typo
    22:08:23 Harold - Servage support: you cannot keep backups of your site in your account as it is strictly against our policies
    22:08:51 Visitor: but I can host my site with so big size there...
    22:09:28 Visitor: do all presales of servage say the same things to people ?
    22:10:05 Visitor: as Martin an hour ago, did said exactly the contrary
    22:10:15 Harold - Servage support: yes you can host unlimited files
    22:10:26 Harold - Servage support: no you can host u nlimited files
    22:11:08 Visitor: ok, if you are frank about this, then you won't have an issue of this chat to go public, right ?
    22:11:27 Harold - Servage support: what issues you are facing?
    22:12:34 Visitor: you can followup on this with Martin
    22:12:45 Visitor: he said 250 GB is not "fair" usage
    22:12:54 Visitor: but your policy clearly states:
    22:13:05 Harold - Servage support: he has left for the day
    22:13:10 Visitor: Servage shall have the right to take corrective action if Customers bandwidth or disk usage exceeds the Agreed Usage.
    22:13:25 Visitor: the "Agreed Usage" is not defined anywhere though
    22:13:45 Harold - Servage support: If your account is large our admins will host you on a new server
    22:14:53 Harold - Servage support: Anything else we can assist you with ?
    22:17:06 Visitor: you can see the public thread here: hXXp://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1353533
    22:18:31 Visitor: so, you still insist you will host me and honor the unlimited size offer ?
    22:18:40 Harold - Servage support: yes we will
    22:19:18 Harold - Servage support: Is there anything else I can assist you with ?
    22:19:37 Visitor: so why Martin said you won't ?
    22:19:59 Harold - Servage support: if your site is hosted with other clients then there is a issue
    22:20:23 Harold - Servage support: if you want your account will be used on a seperate server as your account is large
    22:21:43 Visitor: so when we take 2 TB space you will host us on our own server, still honoring the contract of 3$ per month and you will take the loss to not have other tenants there, just us ?
    22:22:05 Harold - Servage support: yes right
    22:23:42 Visitor: ok
    22:25:47 Visitor: I ll wait for other people's opinion on this, if other clients confirm you honor the terms, we will do business
    22:26:05 Harold - Servage support: You are welcome
    Last edited by henrysmith; 03-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Any other client at Servage can confirm they honor the terms and promises as shown above ???

Why don't you go back and harass their sales reps for a third time? Maybe then you'll get the answer you're looking for.

While you're at it, look up the definition of the word "fraud".

Avoid unlimited's hosts.
    Avoid unknown hosts.
    Search carefully.
    Do not do like me

Is every shared hosting with Unlimited offers a fraud ?

answer: Is every client looking for unlimited hosting greedy?
    Fernando - Bitline Hosting Services
    Web Hosting - Since 2002

Why don't you just pay for the space you actually need, instead of trying to run a huge site off of a $3/mo. "unlimited" plan?

Go with a real host that offers real disk space. Keep in mind, you are going to pay for it. You aren't going to find 250GB of disk space for $3/mo.

It's a fraud alright. They are selling something which is mathematically, physically and computationally impossible, counting on hidden limits buried in the TOS like ambiguous CPU usage definitions or number of inodes or whatever to kick the customer that starts to eat "too much" of their unlimited resources.

Fraud. Noun. Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain. https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3Afraud

Unlimited hosting, being mathematically, physically and computationally impossible, is wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain. The financial gain is obtained after customers of legitimate, limited hosts, abandon said hosts, or opt not to go with them, because they think they are getting a better deal.

If you want the car analogy, it's like puling the speed dial out of the car and selling it with the unlimited speed feature. When the car starts maxing out at 100 mph and you complain to the salesman, they start making up excuses blaming the fuel pump being inefficient, the tires not being rated for the road you were driving on, etc....

It is not a fraud, if it were you would be able to sue them, but you are not, they created their terms and conditions so that they could stop people like you abusing the system.

I am on unlimited shared hosting taking 500MB of space and I see no reason to subside people like you. Get real, if you need 250GB of space for a site rent a dedicated server for $150/month. You got balls to come here to complain that a host will not give you 250GB hosting space for $3/month. Maybe the fraud is you.
    Last edited by zobe; 03-01-2014 at 06:51 PM.

C'mon, it's not fraud. That's why you have to check terms and conditions of a host first, that being said, unlimited hosts are not recommended at all, making a few exceptions like Site5 which are more open in terms of resources.

Anyway, for $3usd per month I wouldn't except a big amount of resources available.

As zobe said, if you need such hosting space, then find another hosting which meets your needs, it could be a shared hosting or VPS...

Unlimited hosts are good maybe when you don't have enough money to buy a VPS, a dedicated server or a good shared hosting, and I would use them just for blogs or non-profits websites, I can't say they are good for e-commerce websites, at least from the experience I had when I was with an unlimited host for my videogames website >.<

I wish you luck finding another host.
    Last edited by aljllv; 03-01-2014 at 10:01 PM.

Not every unlimited host is bad. Just find one that has been operating over 5 years so you'll be sure they are not frauds or fly-by-nights.
    U.S.A. High Resource allocation global cloud hosting serving 310,000 clients since 2008 | Offering both cPanel & DirectAdmin
    WebsitePlex.com | Instant Activation | Alpha, Master, Reseller & Cloud Hosting
    Recurring Affiliate Program Pays 20% of total revenue for life | 30 Day Trial

I hear some people say it is fraud and some it is not...

Others, say to read the ToS...

But hey, I have read the ToS and as you will see,
    it refers to unexistent things, like the "Agreed Usage"...

What would you suppose they mean by this, when the
    second sales rep. is reassuring me, several times,
    that they can host for 3$/mo even 2 TB site and that
    when I reach this size, they will put me on a separate
    server, and take the loss on their side, to honor the terms ?????

Sometimes unlimited hosts refer to the "agreed usage" even when it isn't in their TOS. But it's a common situation because "unlimited" storage and/or transfer doesn't exist.

Anyway, I must admit the operator's answers to your questions are a bit simple; I wouldn't like a host with that type of support. Really, I would recommend you to find another hosting; if you want another unlimited host, well, maybe they will tell you the same about the "agreed usage", but you can try anyway. As I said, Site5 is a good option, you could ask them

Unlimited hosting does not exist, but hosting providers claiming to offer unlimited hosting plans do exist, you already know that and we know that.

Since you already know! Then why you don't go with a provider that provide what they claim to offer.
    HostNurse.com - We Nurse & Babysit Your Websites!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    24/7 Support | cPanel | Softaculous | SEO Tools | RVSiteBuilder & More.

If you're abusing their servers by uploading 250GB+ of photos you should be terminated regardless. Let me guess, you're paying $2.95/m for unlimited everything? Yeah, twelve quarters isn't a whole lot of money, and $2.95 definitely isn't paying for their terebyte hard drives that you're eventually going to fill up.

Get a VPS, or a dedicated server. If you're selling stock photography, you shouldn't be cheating your clients by using the cheapest host you can find. Spend around $20-40/m then you won't have any issues with your service that you have.

That's like going to HostGator and uploading a 500GB "mywebsite.zip" file and letting it sit there..
    ExtraVM - DDoS Protected NVMe VPS, Website Hosting, & Game Servers
    Dallas, TX | Miami, FL | Los Angeles, CA | Piscataway, NJ | Amsterdam, NL | Singapore | Tokyo, JP

This thread is irritating.

I will prefer a host that clearly identifies each simple limitation point and has specific resources assignment.

Lowballing technique

Well, the unlimited feature offered by various hosting services is just another lowballing marketing technique to get new webmasters into the door.

I guess this is one reason why a lot of premium hosting services are starting to gain traction.

IMHO, the second sales rep. is at least hilarious !

he would give you anything to secure the sale and get you in !

2 TB is just ridiculous, he probably does not even know to shutdown windows.

Its a pity to see such behavior or ignorance in this field.

Please, please, stop using the word "unlimited".

for hosting 250GB or more of static data, I recommend to use the Content Delivery Network (CDN) instead of unlimited plan.

Simply ask them if they provide you with unlimited server and you will get straight answer - NO. No such thing as unlimited HDD.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Stop posting stupid stuff about other hosts. If you expect 250 GB of space for 3/mo you have issues.

no host will give you dedicated like resources for budget shared plan prices. Thats whats annoying when hosts offer unlimited plans for so cheaply, it would be more acceptable if it was perhaps more expensive and the host would then have the possibility to provide you with more resources, i.e upgraded server with additional hard drive to provide the re sources they say they will. its true though, if your going to host so much data (not cpu and ram intensive though..) get a reasonable dedicated server host that has option to plugin or upgrade hdd's at a cost of a few $ a month
    Find a great deal At www.lovehosts.com
    Unique to Lovehosts.com you can get VPS's and hosting or reseller hosting and even dedicated servers with Massive discounts!.
    www.lovehosts.com Spread The Word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast