Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Quote Originally Posted by FastServ View Post
    Level3 really doesn't like Cogent. When I was speaking with Level3 (including vp of sales) not to long ago they made it clear that they have no intention of coming close to Cogent's (new) pricing on any commit level since they are two different "tier" networks. They went on to say that Cogent is unfit for streaming...
    The irony is that Level3 is following the Cogent model in the CDN space--undercutting just about everyone on price--and I'm sure Akamai's response to Level3 pricing proposals is pretty much the same as Level3's is to Cogent's on strictly transit. Maybe you should ask the VP of Sales about that next time you have him on phone.

So Cogent had some bad peering. How is it in reality these days? They are cheap, and if they ran a connection to us we'd probably add them to our bgp as it's probably worth it.

"They are cheap", when the did quality become secondary to price?

Quote Originally Posted by lockbull View Post
    The irony is that Level3 is following the Cogent model in the CDN space--undercutting just about everyone on price--and I'm sure Akamai's response to Level3 pricing proposals is pretty much the same as Level3's is to Cogent's on strictly transit. Maybe you should ask the VP of Sales about that next time you have him on phone.

On Petabyte commitments prices are pretty much the same with everyone, depending on their reach and capabilities, so L3 might be able to hit up some low commitment clients with their lower pricing, but if someone wants quality they go with a proven provider who has been in this for a long time and can provide a large array of services.
    Akamai's presence and reach is larger, so you'll get a larger price, but for someone who needs a global delivery and deems it critical to their business, you can afford to spend 3 more cents per gigabyte.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by ollebanan View Post
    "They are cheap", when the did quality become secondary to price?
    When the cheap carrier is used as a backup to the likes of ATT and Level3. Why would you pay as much for a rarely used backup carrier as you do for your primary carriers? If I rarely use them, why would I pay a monthly premium and expect high quality from them when they "might" only get used a couple of hours every 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    When the cheap carrier is used as a backup to the likes of ATT and Level3. Why would you pay as much for a rarely used backup carrier as you do for your primary carriers? If I rarely use them, why would I pay a monthly premium and expect high quality from them when they "might" only get used a couple of hours every 6 months?
    Why would you have a solely "backup line" where you're paying for a commit level you'll never use? Put them together in a BGP mix if the cost really matters to you.

Also, if you have an outage that requires you to use a backup carrier, wouldn't the customers already be upset enough that they wouldn't want to then see a "budget carrier" as their only link for the matter of a day or so? Then what happens if that is also the time when COgent has another peering spat and 10% of the Internet can't get to you?
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

A cheap (Cogent) backup uplink is better than none. However a lot of companies are running Cogent as their primary service and offering a different, more expensive service for "premium" bandwidth.

Hey, if the user wants budget, that's what they'll get. I have no problem selling them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Webdude View Post
    If you are using AT&T and Level3, you don't need a backup provider!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    A cheap (Cogent) backup uplink is better than none. However a lot of companies are running Cogent as their primary service and offering a different, more expensive service for "premium" bandwidth.

Hey, if the user wants budget, that's what they'll get. I have no problem selling them either.
    However, i do agree with the last statement.
    Last edited by ollebanan; 06-09-2008 at 05:16 PM. Reason: corrected

I can't tell you how much we have or use but it's a large pipe and we have a large commit, just like everything else you can negotiate a lower price on larger commit, best of luck.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456