Simple Firefox question

I recently decided to stick IE on the shelf and use Fx exclusively. One thing that was a real convenience in IE was that when I would start typing a URL in the address bar, the auto-complete option would kick in after a few characters, and I could just hit ENTER to get there. However, in Fx, when I start to type the URL, I see a dropdown list of related URLs, but I then have to mouse over the URL of choice and click on it.

I have looked through Fx but can't see an option to have the address in the address bar auto-complete on its own so I can just hit ENTER. If the option exists, where so I find it?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Hello ooooooooooo......................
    try using downarrow and then hit enter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, I just hold the down arrow and click enter on the entry I want

I thought I had remembered a feature like it, but it doesn't seem to exist..

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/keyboard - nothing there
    http://xulplanet.com/references/elem...oComplete.html - won't help unless you want to manually code in auto-complete support

Thanks guys, but I'm trying to figure out if Fx has an actual option to auto-complete the URL right in the address bar.

Is it possible?

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Glad to see you using Fx (both the browser, and the correct usage), Vito

But, sadly I don't think that's a feature Vito. I was complaining on IWDN a few months ago, say I enter webhost enter in the URL, it will take me to an entirely different URL then the first one listed. I think that should be a feature, IMHO.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Quote Originally Posted by vito
    Is it possible?
    afaik, no .

Thanks for the confirmation, folks.

Oh well, at least I tried. But it is not enough to turn me off of Fx, just a mild inconvenience.

Vito

Oh well, at least I tried. But it is not enough to turn me off of Fx, just a mild inconvenience.
    Thats good. Just a little advice, backup your history regularely (if its important to you), because it will be wiped from time to time for no reason.

I can't remember the last time I referenced or used History, but thanks anyways, zoid.

Vito

Quote Originally Posted by zoid
    Thats good. Just a little advice, backup your history regularely (if its important to you), because it will be wiped from time to time for no reason.
    Tools > Options > History Tab

Set the number of days you want it to remember your history.
    Then it will not just disappear for no reason.

Vito the list in that drops down when you start typing is part of your history.

I can't remember the last time I referenced or used History, but thanks anyways, zoid.

Vito
    I use it regularely and so that turned me away, but so it should be a fine for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Techark
    Tools > Options > History Tab

Set the number of days you want it to remember your history.
    Then it will not just disappear for no reason.
    No, its wiped. Not just reduced to the given maximum number of days. Fully wiped.

Its a known bug.

I had the same problem as zoid. Similar issues occur with Opera.

If you shutdown your PC while the browser is writing to the history (which is often), it gets wiped.

Opera is slightly better than Fx in this issue, but it's still a problem. It's most likely the fault of Windows and the way it handles file writing. An atomic system would probably work better.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid
    No, its wiped. Not just reduced to the given maximum number of days. Fully wiped.

Its a known bug.

Never had it happen to me. Guess I am lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by DanX
    I had the same problem as zoid. Similar issues occur with Opera.

If you shutdown your PC while the browser is writing to the history (which is often), it gets wiped.

Opera is slightly better than Fx in this issue, but it's still a problem. It's most likely the fault of Windows and the way it handles file writing. An atomic system would probably work better.
    I have to admit I never experienced such an error with IE nor with Opera. Also this Firefox bugs occures during using the application. It seems they have a serious bug in their history management.

Vito,

A wicked tip I received for .com's is to type whats between the .tld extension and the word, i.e. webhostingtalk and then hit ctrl-enter -- it'll add the rest for you.

Try it by typing news and then hitting ctrl-enter, it works flawless!
    It's not autocomplete but the majority of the sites I visit are .coms, so it saves me hours.

Thanks, David. That does help. It doesn't help for long subpage URLs, but for home page , it does work.

Vito

I have no idea what you're talking about Vito. I haven't used IE in a very long time

This sounds like what you're looking for - https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...cation=firefox
    Extension description: "Enables the IE-like Inline Autocomplete in the URL bar"

Is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Vito,

A wicked tip I received for .com's is to type whats between the .tld extension and the word, i.e. webhostingtalk and then hit ctrl-enter -- it'll add the rest for you.

Try it by typing news and then hitting ctrl-enter, it works flawless!
    It's not autocomplete but the majority of the sites I visit are .coms, so it saves me hours.
    You don't have to do control plus enter, you can just hit enter..I use it all the time as well..pretty cool feature.

B33R, thank you. Exactly what I was looking for.

Vito

Great!!

Have you tried the new Internet Explorer 7 Beta? It looks like Microsoft has added many of the features that firefox currently uses; tabbed browsing, mac OS looking skin, etc. I highly recommend this browser. I used Firefox until I tried IE 7 and happy that I made the switch back.
    HighWirePCs.com© Web Hosting for the 21st Century!!
    CPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller hosting (fantastico)
    sales@highwirepcs.com | 1-360-624-5393
    Amazing feedback from happy clients. 99.9% uptime.