It is known to everyone here in WHT that KH and WT are two of the best service providers in VPS industry. I always wanted to know which one is better.
I have a VPS with KH for the past two years and purchased a Hybrid server at WT two weeks back. I don't have enough experience with WT to write a comprehensive review and this is my initial judgment.
KH supports Plesk, cPanel and DirectAdmin whereas WT supports only cPanel.
- After using Plesk for two years, I am finding it difficult to work with cPanel.
- cPanel might be good when you stick with the options provided within the control panel.
- Last day I wanted to create an additional FTP user and I was not able to use the option provided within cPanel because it automatically appended the domain to username. PureFTPd provided with cPanel is customized and it took me hours to create a ftp user without the domain name appended.
- I wanted to disable directory listing globally and there is no option within WHM to do that. Editing the httpd.conf file directly is also not easy, since WHM regenerates the file when I modify a setting in WHM.
Winner - KH
The prices are comparable for VPS after taking into account their special offers (I am comparing VS5 and VPS 1024). But Managed hybrid from WT is much cheaper than the similar package from KH.
Winner - WT
This is the main reason I wrote this thread. Once again I want to remind that this is my initial impression. I think KH support is much better than WT.
- When migrating one of the sites from KH to WT 50GB extra diskspace was needed. When I contacted KH support, they did not have disk space upgrades for 50GB and the only option available was to upgrade to a higher Hybrid plan, with a minimum period of 30 days. When I told the reason for the diskspace requirement, Justin from KH Sales offered 40GB upgrade for 4 days and that too for free.
- Whenever I ask KH Support to do install something, they give their best effort for that. I recall only once instance when they were not able to do it was when I asked to install vpsinfo
, and that they informed me after trying.
- I asked WT support to install JRE 1.6, and they asked me for documentation link. When I requested for ZendDebugger, I was told that it is outside the scope of their support and they would guide me through the installation, if i provided the instructions.
Winner - KH
I want to clarify a few things before I end this quick review. I am not unhappy
with my server with WT. It is too good
at that price. I do not think that WT support is bad, they are just a bit hesitant to go outside the standard feature set provided by cPanel. Also WT response time is better than KH. Most of the time I get reply within 5 minutes. If most of your support requests can be solved from WHM, they might be better than KH.