Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    It's probably a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone here knows what happened to Myriad Network. It appears like as if they've sold off their VPS customers to EMC Telecom and the webhosting customers to sprhost, both of which I've not heard of before. Tickets are also getting responded to from supportcenter.tv which I've also not heard of before especially since Myriad had their own ticketing system in place years ago.
    There's currently a small discussion going on between us customers on their forum (http://forums.myriadnetwork.com/showthread.php?p=1543).
    The move seems to have happened with really short notice though most of us have not received the email support said they sent.
    The email, which I got after asking, states:
    In order to continue offering the best in equipment and network practices, we constantly conduct data center audits to keep you, our valued customer, on top of the latest innovation the market can provide.
    In keeping with this practice, we have determined the server your VPS is hosted on requires an immediate upgrade to avoid service interruption due to potential hardware failure.
    To avoid any potential service degradation and to simply provide you with the fastest solution, we had to schedule an immediate migration to a new server that already meets those performance requirements as previously mentioned to keep you in best practices.
    This affects your VPS and this is what you need to be aware of:
    - This means that the IP Addresses you were using have been changed.
    Your NEW IPs for the VPS are as follows:
    Container/VPS Id:
    Main IP:
    Other IPs:
    What will be affected?
    - Dedicated IP Addresses:
    1. If you are using a dedicated IP address for your website(s), this will need to be changed within your web server application, such as Apache or IIS.
    2. If you are running a mail server, you will need to update the IP address that it is running on, as well as any DNS MX records for it. (Let us know if you notice any issues with your mail)
    - Private Name Servers:
    3. If you are running your own name servers, you will need to update your name server IP Address listing in your registrar (Let us know if you need assistance with this)
    4. If you have any domain issues, be sure to let us know so our techs can ensure proper DNS update for all of them.
    5. Let us know also if you need any reverse DNS for mail servers on the new IP addresses.
    - Programming and Applications:
    6. If you have Hardcoded IPs in your websites, they will need to be updated so you donĂ¢Â€Â™t have any broken links due to the DNS update. (You will need to handle this)
    7. If you have any applications running that are based on an IP assignment, they will also need to be updated. (You will need to notify us if you notice any issues with your applications)
    - What do I need to do now?
    8. Be sure to respond to this email and let us know if you have any special issues we need to know about.
    9. Your data is intact and the only items updated were your IP addresses. Once the update is complete, you should be good to go.
    Thank you for your assistance and please let us know if you have any questions about any of the above items.
    Thank you!
    Eric
    MyriadNetwork.Com
    Powered By SupportCenter.TV
    but I have a bad feeling that this seems more like a coverup for a host change given that the IP range is completely different and assigned to EMC Telecommunications.
    It's a shame considering I've been with Myriad for over 4 years and all the previous contact that I've had with them were exemplary. So yeah, if anyone might have any morsel of information as to what's going on, us Myriad customers would definitely be greatful .
    Last edited by sirius; 04-24-2009 at 01:47 PM.

EMC...........WOW they could not have made a worst decision where there customers were concerned. My experience with EMC was horrible and I have absolutely no respect for any VPS provider who oversells beyond a "reasonable" amount. With EMC my VPS on virtuozzo was already running 400% cpu load at times before I even had a chance to upload my files to there box. EMC did admit the box was "apparently" oversold and after talking with other VPS customers of EMC I found this was not uncommon but merely how they conduct business.
    If anyone got moved to EMC I would highly consider looking elsewhere immediately.

Looks like they deleted the forum messages. I did not receive the IP address change email, have not received a support response, and cannot access my VPSes.

Yup, the thread just got deleted. I knew I should've saved it.
    kcalkmc started by a new thread here (http://forums.myriadnetwork.com/showthread.php?t=516) asking why the posts had been deleted before going on to looking up the new DNS' but it looks like his post has been edited by Ryan to remove any hint of the previous thread being deleted and the subject renamed to "DNS Updates" (just look at who last edited kcalkmc's post). My post was also deleted.
    This all looks very worrying.

My sites are all still down and I still can't get in.
    It seems pretty likely that they were sold, but "Ryan" is continuing to deny it. They're not being fully honest, and the support is slow. Needless to say, I'm shopping for a new provider.
    "Ryan":
    We're still Myriad, though we've moved our helpdesk and ticket system over to supportcenter.tv.
    Regarding the sprhost.cp thing, no clue what the deal is there. I believe when we sent out emails, cPanel made that the from: address. Why? Not sure, still investigating, but I assure you that it's legitimate.
    Originally Posted by kanobicomm
    The domain name suppportcenter.tv is owned by EMC Telecom, not Myriad and is a ticket system for their clients. So I am confused.
    Right; the supportcenter.tv thing is kinda sorta like an outsource of our helpdesk; but just of the actual software and domain name.
    It's still staffed by us, just is a bit easier to handle on the backend. Again, everything is still Myriad.
    I think they've deleted some of the emails people got, but they seem untruthful too (like minglong's):
    In keeping with this practice, we have determined the server your VPS is hosted on requires an immediate upgrade to avoid service interruption due to potential hardware failure.
    and someone else said they got an email about running out of disk space.

//following.

myriadnetwork.com (204.14.2.187) 56(84) bytes of data.
    whois 204.14.2.187
    OrgName: EMC TELECOM CORPORATION
    OrgID: ETC-87
    Address: PO BOX 147,
    Address: 4904 S Power Rd, Suite 103
    City: Mesa
    StateProv: AZ
    PostalCode: 85212
    NetRange: 204.14.0.0 - 204.14.7.255
    CIDR: 204.14.0.0/21
    OriginAS: AS32765
    NetName: EMCTELECOM-HOSTING-NETWORK
    NetHandle: NET-204-14-0-0-1
    Parent: NET-204-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: AUTH00.MYRIADNETWORK.COM
    NameServer: AUTH01.MYRIADNETWORK.COM
    NameServer: NS1.HOSTWITHEMC.COM
    NameServer: NS2.HOSTWITHEMC.COM
    Comment:
    RegDate: 2009-01-16
    Updated: 2009-01-29
    RAbuseHandle: ETAD-ARIN
    RAbuseName: EMC Telecom Abuse Desk
    RAbusePhone: +1-800-435-4884
    RAbuseEmail: abuse@emctelecom.com
    RNOCHandle: ETNOC1-ARIN
    RNOCName: EMC Telecom Network Operations Center
    RNOCPhone: +1-800-435-4884
    RNOCEmail: noc@emctelecom.com
    RTechHandle: TECHN689-ARIN
    RTechName: EMC Telecom Technical Support
    RTechPhone: +1-800-435-4884
    RTechEmail: support@emctelecom.com
    OrgAbuseHandle: ETAD-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: EMC Telecom Abuse Desk
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-800-435-4884
    OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@emctelecom.com
    OrgNOCHandle: ETNOC1-ARIN
    OrgNOCName: EMC Telecom Network Operations Center
    OrgNOCPhone: +1-800-435-4884
    OrgNOCEmail: noc@emctelecom.com
    OrgTechHandle: TECHN689-ARIN
    OrgTechName: EMC Telecom Technical Support
    OrgTechPhone: +1-800-435-4884
    OrgTechEmail: support@emctelecom.com
    Something has changed.

I'm not sure if the Ryan that is responding to the Myriad forums is the same Ryan prior to this weekend when all of this started happening. If you look at his past posts, they were far better structured and free of spelling and grammatical errors. Maybe that's just me being paranoid now though.
    In one of the newer threads started up, Ryan let slip this:
    As for the IP's, yes, they're registered to EMC, as we couldn't secure our own IP space in the new datacenter.
    So now we know that we have indeed all been relocated to a new datacenter without any communication beforehand which makes me wonder what this whole "potential hardware failure" excuse was...or was it a convenient coincidence?
    Also, Myriad Network went by the name of SecurityMinded Technologies LLC and you can still see the remains of it when you whois my previously assigned IP which I had for a bit over 4 years: 209.8.31.188.
    Their physical address has also changed from
    SecurityMinded Technologies LLC
    37 Pidgeon Hill Drive
    Sterling VA, 20165
    to a PO box:
    MyriadNetwork.com
    POBOX 147
    4904 S Power Rd
    Suite 103
    Mesa, AZ 85212
    Someone else on the Myriad forum whom I've been keeping in contact via email has also been trying to contact them via all the phone numbers he can find but to no avail.

Registration Service Provided By: EMC Telecom
    Visit: emctelecom.com
    Going once, going twice, SOLD!

kcalkmc Guest
    Why has there been no News posted by Myriad? You would think that IF it were legit, they would post something, and if this is not legit they would post something. Google picks up this kind of stuff really quickly.
    I searched Google and found a post from another customer in her/his private blog posted just 3 hours prior.
    Wouldn't you think a Tech Editor at Google would (want to) be all over this?

Care to link us to that person's blog? I'd like to read it.
    Maybe they didn't give us any news because they were hoping for a "business as usual" which they may have gotten away with if there was proper notification at least a week in advance that we were migrating to new servers instead of telling us that there was a "potential hardware failure" and push us onto goodness knows what with literally no notice considering the people who posted on the now deleted thread either didn't receive a notification email like myself or received one that was so poorly worded and coming from an unknown address that it was percieved as spam.

kcalkmc Guest
    Actually, Ming or are you Daniel McCoy?
    It is the EXACT SAME POST that you started this thread with.
    I downloaded both and ran a comparison repiort. Absolutely, no diffferences.
    Huummmm ... now I'm wondering who the scammer is.

Care to link us to that person's blog? I'd like to read it.
    Maybe they didn't give us any news because they were hoping for a "business as usual" which they may have gotten away with if there was proper notification at least a week in advance that we were migrating to new servers instead of telling us that there was a "potential hardware failure" and push us onto goodness knows what with literally no notice considering the people who posted on the now deleted thread either didn't receive a notification email like myself or received one that was so poorly worded and coming from an unknown address that it was percieved as spam.
    I had a VPS on VPS4 which dropped at 4:49 AM EST and the only reason it's up currently is because I was able to speak to one of Myriad's reps at around 8:30.. He was able to get the new IP info for me.. However, I'm still migrating the data that I stored on this VPS back onto our network in Ashburn, which is going at a pretty slow pace (1.0 MB/s). Their "new" datacenter is actually in Phoenix, AZ.

Everything adds up to the conclusion that they have secretly sold their customer base, which in my opinion is pretty shady business practice.

Everything adds up to the conclusion that they have secretly sold their customer base.
    Yeah, they really could've made the transition a lot better. They shouldn't have touched their services, kept them in place and improved them. If you submit a support ticket, you get an automated response from SupportCenter.tv, etc.

I got that same email last Monday, and all my sites were down until Friday. Initially, the IP block they gave me pointed at someone else's VPS - which didn't help my confidence.
    Looks like a bait and switch tactic - telling customers their hardware was going to fail and then moving us to another provider.

Actually, Ming or are you Daniel McCoy?
    It is the EXACT SAME POST that you started this thread with.
    I downloaded both and ran a comparison repiort. Absolutely, no diffferences.
    Huummmm ... now I'm wondering who the scammer is.
    No, I'm not Daniel McCoy though I've obviously reached exactly the same conclusion he has. What exactly am I trying to scam you out of in the first place? I have a VPS on Myriad and given the lack of communication, I'm been speculating ever since my VPS literally vanished and I had to raise a support ticket which got replied from supportcenter.tv when I was expecting myriadnetwork.com. Again, care to provide a link to this person's blog?
    You've posted on the Myriad thread which was since deleted. Surely you saw everyone else having the same problem and starting to get a little flustered? Then again, you might not be the same kcalkmc from the Myriad forum .
    Anyway, I'm really losing confidence with how this is all turning out. If they had told me that they were going to relocate to a new host I would've probably just accepted it and left it at that.

MyriadNetwork.com
    POBOX 147
    4904 S Power Rd
    Suite 103
    Mesa, AZ 85212
    Mail Boxes Etc
    4904 S Power Rd
    Mesa, AZ 85212
    480-603-1130I think this says it all.

aycmedia Guest
    We've been seriously burned by Myriad and whatever is really happening. Our company currently purchases 5 servers from Myriad, costing us over $1,000/mo and we'll be sure to move to another provider. Collectively, we host 230 websites (one of the servers is a dedicated database server to a cluster of 21 websites).
    Here are some facts that I've discovered in our tragic interaction with them in "migrating" our servers:
    * On none of our servers did we receive MORE than 2 hours of notice of their migration.
    * Myriad cites a hardware failure for all VDS customers and claim to be "upgrading to far superior hardware" and that all of our accounts were going to be migrated (more on this later)
    * They cite low disk space for shared hosting providers
    * Their email to VDS customers (if you even receive it) contains the following paragraph: "If you are using a dedicated IP address for your website(s), this will need to be changed within your web server application, such as Apache or IIS" -- the interesting part here is that ISS is "Internet Information Server" -- that is Windows-only server software (like Apache on Windows/Linux). The catch -- Myriad is LINUX ONLY (VDS and shared hosting).
    * My old server IP was 209.8.234.62, owned by "SecurityMinded Technologies LLC. Dba Myriad Network" and, according to Geody.com, is located in McLean, VA.
    * My new server IP is now 204.14.0.167 (same server), owned by "EMC TELECOM CORPORATION" and, according to Geody.com, is located in San Diego, CA.
    * As I was speaking with Ryan and questioning him on Friday Jan 31, '09 on the possibility that Myriad was sold to another company, he replied and said: "We're still Myriad, though we're indeed moving our servers to a new datacenter in Arizona." and further went to say "IP changes are necessary when moving to a new DC, as new upstream providers are there. The hardware at Myriad *is* failing, so a move was warranted."
    Those are the facts.
    My early conclusion, based on the evidence and the way this "hardware failure" was handled, is that they probably did sell the company to someone else; likely either EMC or someone who has a hefty amount of server real estate in that company's data center. This obviously implies that they are lying.
    IN ANY CASE, I believe they could have handled a hardware failure MUCH better than this. They could have easily warned ALL of their customers at the same time via an email blast. Then, to reduce data loss, they could have backed up all of their VDS' and shared servers immediately, then waited until their planned "migration" period X-days from notification, made a final back-up/snapshot of all servers and databases and then REPLACED/FIXED the hardware and NOT change the IP address. Even if they did have to update their IP addresses (which is absolutely a VERY serious change), they should have still included a significant amount of time for warning.
    Ultimately, if you're hosting with a company that either A.) Lies about their company being sold or B.) Handles a hardware failure in such a manner, they're obviously not the kind of company you should depend on for providing a trustworthy and quality service. At least from this point on forward, you should let history be the benchmark and expect more of the same quality of service.

The thing is that prior to this, Myriad was in no way a questionable company for me. They were dependable, support answered promptly and efficiently and no signs of deception. As I said previously, I've been with them for over 4 years (for those who do a search, yes, I made a brief comment (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=366032) on them in this forum way back in 2005 after a week's usage and yes, I was using them all the way up until now) and I would've recommended them without hesitation prior to the weekend fiasco.
    It looks like the next problem for me now is cancelling my service. I opened a ticket asking for my service not to be renewed after the end of this billing month and I got a response stating go to a link and fill out a form. Fair enough, I do so. When I submit the form, it automatically opens another ticket and this one got replied to by another person saying exactly the same thing, pointing me to the form and asking me to fill it out. I pointed this out in the new ticket 2 hours ago but no response yet. Wonderful .

It's a shame something like this happens to a great company, because the acquiring company doesn't take all the necessary steps to ensure a smooth transition, which may indicate the quality of future service.

aycmedia Guest
    @minglong:
    That's horrible. Something very bad is definitely going down with that company.
    We have also hosted with them since April of '05. We're going to end up moving to someone else, eventually. Except this time, we'll do our migration very carefully and with plenty of time and planning involved
    We've had issues with our VDS' anyway and we needed an upgrade. The idea of having to constantly purchase new VDS' to make up for the demand on our company's hosting resources was just not a good idea. The limited amount of kernel memory that you get on a VDS is just not enough for us anymore. So -- this is one way that we and the rest of Myriad's {former} customer base can express their discontent with the {dis}service being provided.
    I think maybe Myriad should consider partnering with the tried and true "nouptime dot com"! (can't post links yet)

Let me just echo what everyone else said. It's time to find a new provider. The thing is--the "old" Myriad was an outstanding company. I've been with them since 2005. I don't see how "due diligence" in searching for a new provider would have helped avoid this gross mishandling.
    Here are my facts:
    I never received any email from them about any server move. They completely botched the move because they didn't correctly change Apache ports for my sites, so my sites went down. Furthermore, I secured my ssh to bind to a specific IP address--which, of course, they didn't change. So I couldn't ssh in.
    I opened a support ticket, but didn't hear from them for hours. They don't have any phone support. In the meantime, I figured out my new IP addresses and discovered they changed my root password. I had to open another ticket to get that.
    My sites are finally back, but whatever happened--no way I stay with the current "Myriad." At best, this was a complete lack of communications and terrible support. But it seems pretty clear that Myriad sold out and the new company thinks it's fine to outright lie to their customers.
    BTW: "Myriad" may have kept some old Myriad employees (although I agree that "Ryan" is a new Ryan), but there's no sign of Jeff Peterson, who was undoubtedly a relative of the founder Thomas Petersen.

I must say, I`m very surprised. They`ve been around quite a long time, had them down as a very reputable company. Certainly one I would have considered using without any hesitation.

BTW: "Myriad" may have kept some old Myriad employees (although I agree that "Ryan" is a new Ryan), but there's no sign of Jeff Peterson, who was undoubtedly a relative of the founder Thomas Petersen.
    I'm good friends with the Ryan that worked at the "old" Myriad and he's still working there and trying to sort all of this out to the best of his ability. He's a good guy and I have a lot of respect for him.
    I'm not sure if there's another Ryan there - but Ryan Kneer is the same guy that worked at the "old" Myriad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast