backups
    cluster system
    multiple dedicated ip address $2.5/mo enables multiple SSL certificates
    downtime unknown

MT features
    $200/yr
    Plesk
    single IP - offers single dedicated SSL plus shared SSL
    grid service - if grid goes down it takes 1000's of sites with it.
    average downtime 30min/mo

Which one would you choose for the best service? Are there others to consider?
    Last edited by renoir; 05-19-2008 at 04:10 PM.

I did a search on media temple here on the forums, and my initial search showed several negative reviews.
    And on hostingplex it seems like there were several topics questioning their integrity.

It might be worth it to look around a little more.
    Last edited by dvduval; 05-19-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

A thing that may be worth noting is that MT's (gs) service will sooner or later be replaced by (cs). (http://www.mediatemple.net/labs/cs/) How this migration will be carried out, whether (gs) customers can stay on (gs) indefinitely, are important questions for anyone buying their shared hosting for certain qualities/features it currently has or portrays.

average 30minutes a month? if you go to http://weblog.mediatemple.net/weblog...-availability/ you can see that so far this month they have had over 120 minutes of downtime this month. They are honest about it atleast.

I think that if you like them so try both one by one
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Are you looking for a true grid service, or just what host market as a grid?

What is the importance of it being a grid service anyway?
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    What is the importance of it being a grid service anyway?
    Who are you asking?

We've done multiple tests on Grid hosting and so far we have not found it to be reliable on a large scale. It's not so much a technological issue but rather a profitability issue.

So far we've found that clustering is the best way to achieve maximal performance across multiple platforms.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.

Quote Originally Posted by dvduval View Post
    I did a search on media temple here on the forums, and my initial search showed several negative reviews.
    And on hostingplex it seems like there were several topics questioning their integrity.

It might be worth it to look around a little more.
    In hostingplex's defense, the search results you have seen were most likely to be before the introduction of their clustered service.

Grids ie server-clusters in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by imountain View Post
    We've done multiple tests on Grid hosting and so far we have not found it to be reliable on a large scale. It's not so much a technological issue but rather a profitability issue.
    Grid hosting, as is being defined now (ie load balanced clusters) is very reliable if done correctly - and quite profitable.It expands the benefits of services clustering even more so that you can not only utilize specialized nodes, but, now you can distribute loads across multiple nodes - which means much more effective utilization of resources, increased reliability and dramatically increased ability to burst...

the issue with grid hosting, or distributed hosting or whatever you want to call it is the same issue with every hosting... over allocating servers (or in this case, groups of servers) to a point where it is almost impossible to maintain low load averages and ultimately performance. A grid or a cluster or whatever cannot justify TBs of storage and bandwidth allocation for the prices being advertised out there...

our biggest concern with launching this service is what to call it. I simply hate the thought of calling it a Grid, because in reality, it is really distributed hosting, not grid hosting. But, considering our target audience will want to call it a grid, it may be hard to market it without the word grid in there someplace... I am torn on this issue right now - lol
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

There's also the issue of a grid != a cluster. Companies tend to call things "grids" that have no right, from a technical standpoint, to be called a grid.

This is a grid

This is not.

A 'grid' definitely sounds trendy though....

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    Grid hosting, as is being defined now (ie load balanced clusters) is very reliable if done correctly - and quite profitable.It expands the benefits of services clustering even more so that you can not only utilize specialized nodes, but, now you can distribute loads across multiple nodes - which means much more effective utilization of resources, increased reliability and dramatically increased ability to burst...

the issue with grid hosting, or distributed hosting or whatever you want to call it is the same issue with every hosting... over allocating servers (or in this case, groups of servers) to a point where it is almost impossible to maintain low load averages and ultimately performance. A grid or a cluster or whatever cannot justify TBs of storage and bandwidth allocation for the prices being advertised out there...

our biggest concern with launching this service is what to call it. I simply hate the thought of calling it a Grid, because in reality, it is really distributed hosting, not grid hosting. But, considering our target audience will want to call it a grid, it may be hard to market it without the word grid in there someplace... I am torn on this issue right now - lol

You should probably not choose any of the two 'grid' hosts - they offer the world for so little...
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

Quote Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
    There's also the issue of a grid != a cluster. Companies tend to call things "grids" that have no right, from a technical standpoint, to be called a grid.

This is a grid

This is not.

Kind Regards,
    Hey Karl,

you know I 10000% agree

but, its hard when you are launching such a service as the entire consumer market calls it a Grid, when really, more accurately, it is a form of distributed hosting...
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

I call mine: Server Cloud

Hey Karl,

you know I 10000% agree

but, its hard when you are launching such a service as the entire consumer market calls it a Grid, when really, more accurately, it is a form of distributed hosting...
    Right, but the term "Grid", at least to me, and granted I'm not an average consumer, implies particular things which a cluster cannot offer.

I'm likely just being overly picky, but I think a lot of the 'grid' providers from last year were committing fraud.

Kind Regards,

And this is a problem today - people are throwing around buzzwords with no real knowledge behind these clever proverbs.

but I think a lot of the 'grid' providers from last year were committing fraud.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    And this is a problem today - people are throwing around buzzwords with no real knowledge behind these clever proverbs.
    yup - but, its a legitimate problem as the consumer audience now believes grids and clouds, etc refer to something other then what they really mean....

you are both right, this isnt the way to go with this. Calling a high availability cluster a grid is just inaccurate.. and certainly misleading.. it may make it more difficult to market initially, but, that isnt a valid reason to contribute to consumer miseducation....

thanks for your feedback...
    www.cartika.com

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I agree here too, and this doesn't plague just Grid, or Clustering, but other ends of the hosting industry.

..but this was all last year - so very 2007.

I hereby proclaim this 2008 AD to be the 'Year of the Cloud'. Providers, start your marketing departments!

I hereby proclaim this 2008 AD to be the 'Year of the Cloud'. Providers, start your marketing departments!
    Since we're already in the middle of 2008, and suggestions for 2009?

I already guessed Web 2.3.14b

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    ... Web 2.3.14b

I'm out of marketing tricks until next year...
    Last edited by utropicmedia-karl; 05-21-2008 at 02:01 PM.

you are both right, this isnt the way to go with this. Calling a high availability cluster a grid is just inaccurate.. and certainly misleading.. it may make it more difficult to market initially, but, that isnt a valid reason to contribute to consumer miseducation....
    Quote Originally Posted by InveHosting View Post
    I agree here too, and this doesn't plague just Grid, or Clustering, but other ends of the hosting industry.
    Yes, but the same goes for the peeps on Twitter (sic) shouting out terms like "SEO", "SEM", "I'm so geeky", "I just hacked my iPhone" etc etc.

Thus, the competence level has not gone up, it is only the bullcrap that's been reaching new heights and the channels to spread this *beep* are now more direct, faster and even wider.

I'm out of marketing tricks until next year...
    You're killing me, Karl!

Sweetness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast