Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* FREE ASSP X (ASSP eXtended - WHM addon with cPanel interface)

I'm proud to present that we have released final stable version of ASSP X (http://sultanserver.com/projects/asspx.tar.gz). (Installation instruction included in the archive)

What is ASSP X? ASSP X is the WHM addon module to automatically install/update ASSP (Anti Spam SMTP Proxy, the best replacement for buggy SpamAssassin, home page at http://assp.sourceforge.net/) with cPanel interface for your clients. Currently we support: x, x2, xmail, bluelagoon, monsoon, Netenberg's xcontroller, all RVSkin.com themes.

The best thing with our addon - it is FREE! Yes, no tricks or whatever.
    Why to pay when you may get more for nothing

What is more important - it is so easy to use that you may install and use it with just basic knowledges!

Why to choose ASSP? Because it is fast, powerful, not resource hog, protects Exim from direct connections and small-to-middle DoS on SMTP service.

Feel free to write your comments, bug reports, feature suggestions, etc.

If you wish to contribute to the development contact me via PM.

ASSP should be available on every cPanel server for FREE!

P.S. Installation service is also available if you unsure or wish to have guaranteed painless migration. Contact me via PM.
    http://sultanhost.com/ - sales@sultanhost.com
    "The Sultans of the Hosting industry."
    30 Day Moneyback, 99,9% Uptime & 100% Satisfaction Guarantees.
    Unlimited Domains Reseller Accounts & Managed Servers

Guys, in you unsure what ASSP is read the official ASSP wiki at http://www.asspsmtp.org/wiki/Welcome

It may helps you to understand how good ASSP is for your hosting business. It really save your life as all options are organized and are at the same place. Very good when you have many servers to manage.

Btw, ASSP X become more mature and installed on production systems for some time already. Feel free to ask me questions - we are interested in further ASSP X development to help its integration with cPanel/WHM.

Hi SHTech, I am interested in ASSP. I would like to download your installer. Before I tinker with it, do you recommend scrapping SA (for which I have created several rules over the years, but it still lets some spam trickle through) *before* the ASSP installation, or after trying ASSP for some time? FYI, I use SA with DCC, Pyzor, and Razor, plus some basic Exim.conf rules to look at two RBLs and discard anything that ClamAV files malicious. I am surprised that they still let some spam in.

Thanks!
    Last edited by erick_p; 04-30-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Yes, you need to download asspx.tar.gz, unpack it and execute install.sh

What about your existing rules. Backup /etc/exim.conf* files and then install recommended exim configuration via "WHM -> SultanServer ASSP X". This way you get clean Exim which works with ASSP at its best.

After installation is done you may wish to put ALL filters into TEST MODE. Later you may turn most of them ON.

We have also added ASSP Spambox which works the same as SpamAssassin Spambox so you may enable it on chosen accounts via cPanel -> ASSP X and all spam will be moved to "spam" directory of chosen email account! Nice feature!

Thanks so much! But--

1. Where's the ASSP option in my Cpanel theme? I have done the "Install Cpanel interface" bit. I use bluelagoon skin for my domains' cpanel. What am I missing? Does this only work with rvskin stuff? I find the whole rvskin stuff hideous in looks and would like to avoid it is possible. What's the link to assp for cpanel so I can manually install it in my own skin?

2. I do not see any ASSP Spambox. Where is it? I am running ASSPX 1.3.2.

Superb script btw, hats off!!

Doesn't work!

My Exim was all messed up. I have a number of forwards and such in my cpanel for specific domains, but they stopped working. I made all ASSP rules and filters to run in test mode. No help. Then I disabled it. No help. I reinstalled spamd, and now spamd is failing. Any thoughts on how to get back to my setup with spam assassin, which at least works out of the box? Would appreciate any help.

It's great if this thing works for some people. I have a messed up system now, despite doing nothing out of the ordinary, just installing the damn thing, seeing it at least visibly functional, but it botched up my email and such. Forwards are not working. Spam is getting caught? May be, but there's no easy way to see a "Spam" folder, where is the ASSP spam box? Now that I have uninstalled it, and re-enabled spamd from right within WHM, spamd keeps failing. Doesn't restart. Thanks but no thanks.

To those who have a functional Spamd (SpamAssassin) and Exim setup, especially one for which they have spent months/years creating rules, my advice would to be stick with it. ASSP is not yet market ready. When the Cpanel team formally launches it, I'll bite.

Eric ,asspx is only a bad free clone of assp deluxe for cpanel. If you want use assp on a cpanel server I suggest you to use assp deluxe for cpanel . assp deluxe for cpanel is officialy supported by Fritz B. the main assp developer.
    http://www.iworld.de/homes/fb/ASSP/S05DD62CB?WasRead=1

Gabriel
    Last edited by gabriel68; 07-09-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by erick_p View Post
    It's great if this thing works for some people. I have a messed up system now, despite doing nothing out of the ordinary, just installing the damn thing, seeing it at least visibly functional, but it botched up my email and such. Forwards are not working. Spam is getting caught? May be, but there's no easy way to see a "Spam" folder, where is the ASSP spam box? Now that I have uninstalled it, and re-enabled spamd from right within WHM, spamd keeps failing. Doesn't restart. Thanks but no thanks.

To those who have a functional Spamd (SpamAssassin) and Exim setup, especially one for which they have spent months/years creating rules, my advice would to be stick with it. ASSP is not yet market ready. When the Cpanel team formally launches it, I'll bite.
    When you install anything, you are dong so at your own risk especially when installing this application. Yes, it does a bunch of nasty thing on installation and if your not an experienced admin you may get into alot of trouble. But, have you looked at the docs and run though the uninstall process? Its listed there for you to follow. If that doesnt work, hire somebody to fix it.

ASSP is a nice product if you know what your doing and you dont need to reply on sombody else to install it for you as in ASSPX. We run it on all our DA boxes, customized. We dont rely on applicatons like ASSPX to bork our installation but rather prefer to do it ourselves, manually.

And one more thing, this SHTech guy, origional poster seems to be a slightly misinformed. He states that there are no load issues associated with ASSPX. That has already proven to be a false statement. I dont know why he keeps harping on that. Maybe he doesnt have anything better to say. Some of our clients running very busy servers running ASSPX had us remove it because of the constant load issues, perl running at around 98%. Something to think about. We dont have ASSP load issues but you may. Tread with caution.
    Last edited by Mikie4648; 07-09-2007 at 04:18 AM.
    << Please see the Rules page. >>

Simply do not confuse assp or assp deluxe for cpanel with asspx .
    asspx is an unsupported and free clone .

Gabriel

I forgot to mention, for those who are having a problem with ASSPX and wish to remove it, contact me and ill provide you with a free ASSPX removal script

There are no reasons in having script to uninstall ASSP X - we have written everything one should to perform to clean ASSP X. Instructions are in the file INSTALL.txt in the directory /usr/local/asspx.

For those who may be confused with false statements of gabriel68 - ASSP X is not a clone, it is stable, mature and solid product which works on top of ASSP and provide server owners/administrators to manage ASSP as well as clients to tune how ASSP works for their domains. It is free as well. Free is not equal to bad. We developed ASSP X for our own needs and in fact we using our resources to develop ASSP X. But we not require a fee for it.

Regarding load issues. ASSP X itself cause no load - it just a frontend.
    On other side ASSP itself may be resource intensive. It not depends on which frontend you are using - ASSP X or ASSP Deluxe.
    One should understand on how to setup the server to protect it from spam/attacks/etc. Having good firewall in front of ASSP also a very good idea.

To everyone: feel free to send PM if you wish to get support. While gabriel68 said ASSP X is unsupported product we do provide support. We charge nothing for support!

Enjoy of the freedom of open source products like ASSP X!
    Last edited by SHTech; 07-09-2007 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo

For years there was no assp project for Cpanel.
    ASSP X was born about 1 month after ASSP Deluxe project and idea started . There is a clear discussion on cpanel forum which demonstrates this . ASSP Deluxe for cpanel is officialy supported by the main assp developer Fritz B (http://www.iworld.de/homes/fb/ASSP/S05DD62CB?WasRead=1). ASSP x no .

>
    On other side ASSP itself may be resource intensive. It not depends on which frontend you are using - ASSP X or ASSP Deluxe.
    >

I do not agree, simply because I uninstalled personally assp x installations with over 500 accounts , which were running bad on assp x and without problem on assp deluxe.

Bye

Please, do not blame ASSP X with no facts. These statements are false.

In no way ASSP under ASSP Deluxe is better than ASSP under ASSP X in term of how ASSP itself works.

So unless you may provide the reproduceable facts stop posting false claims about ASSP X.

IMHO my statements are not false , simply you cloned an idea ( don't forget it !) and ..blah blah... I stop here ..

bye bye

You may say the same about Plesk, HSphere, DirectAdmin that they cloned an idea of cPanel and vise versa.

The idea is in ASSP itself, not in the frontends for it. You brought no "idea", you just selling frontend.

There are different desktop managers for Linux: KDE, Gnome, etc. They are in general frontends for X (XFree86, Xorg). But no one blame that one steal idea from other.

The same apply for different daemons (clam antivirus, spam assassin, cdrdao, cdrecord, ASSP (!) and thousands others). They have frontends, various frontends. And it is the freedom of choice.

I understand you - you just care of your pocket, nothing more. You afraid to loose money, don't fool others.

I'm sure that this thread visitors make their own conclusions based on your and mine responses.

I also ask you to stop flooding in the thread dedicated to ASSP X - create your own if you wish.

You may say the same about Plesk, HSphere, DirectAdmin that they cloned an idea of cPanel and vise versa.
    The idea is in ASSP itself, not in the frontends for it. You brought no "idea", you just selling frontend.
    >

do not joke .. there was no assp frontend for cpanel for years still I found the way to do that using spamlovers (do you remember ? No ? Read the cpanel 3rd so you can remember ) . You asked me on cpanel forum exactly how to do that and after you started to clone the idea some day ago.

>
    I also ask you to stop flooding in the thread dedicated to ASSP X - create your own if you wish.
    >

you flooded my cpanel 3rd and I never told you to stop . I simply replied to eric which had the bad experience with assp x , but assp x is only a .... bla bla...

Bye Bye

I have said it already - you envy.
    You may say anything you wish but one who wish to get stable, updated, secure, fast, open source & free frontend for ASSP will choose ASSP X.

It is what makes you angry.

I will stop respond to prevent more flood coming from you.

angry ? I am simply replying and I am smiling . Nothing to do there in Russia ?
    Right now I am seeing the sea from my window with a glass of red wine.
    Could I be angry with you ? People know well that nothing is free on planet earth
    , nothing is unlimited , nothing .

Bye bye
    Last edited by gabriel68; 07-10-2007 at 05:35 AM.

..and , I already told you that I was not interested to make war with you.
    But I cannot stay in silence when someone writes that "ASSP is not yet market ready"after using asspx. ASSP is market ready , everyone should only find the right way to run it on a server .

Bye Bye

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel68 View Post
    ..and , I already told you that I was not interested to make war with you.
    But I cannot stay in silence when someone writes that "ASSP is not yet market ready"after using asspx. ASSP is market ready , everyone should only find the right way to run it on a server .

Bye Bye
    ASSPX is a nasty clone. I first saw ASSP Deluxe for cpanel then all of a sudden this ASSPX for cpanel came along. We do lots of consulting. We have many clients and those have requested ASSPX installed on their server ask us to remove it in less than 2 months because it loaded up the box. While it may be a frontend, it certainly runs lots of script in order to keep up, both via cron and loading the frontend via WHM. So i state again, if your running a BUSY mailserver tread lightly with installing ASSPX. I cant comment on the other product since i have never used it or at least our clients have never installed it.

Ah, here is another one. These people are now working feverishly trying to deploy an ASSPX for DirectAdmin. Now this i'v got to see. Even when they know there is already one in developemnent they are still pushing their version. Amazing.

I know assp deluxe clients which run assp since january on servers with 800 an more domain names with peace of mind . I sold assp deluxe to an uk and chile datacenter and they run it all all their servers without any problem . All assp deluxe scripts are are optimized and have server loads checks to run without problems.

ASSP X works on servers with 900-1500 domains with no problems. This is all matters of resources (CPU/RAM/HDD speed) mostly. But as ASSP itself is single threaded it can't work at full potential.

On the countrary I love ASSP right for this ... single threaded !
    ASSP use about 4%-8% cpu to process about 10 smtp connections in a single thread . Spamassassin uses about 5%-15% per smtp process ! and at the same time ASSP uses only a fraction of cpu (less than 1%) to scan email from virus too (using clamd). All in a single perl thread . This is one of the main advantages of assp over spamassasin.
    Last edited by gabriel68; 08-09-2007 at 03:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast